3/24 ST Game: Giants vs White Sox, 3:05 PM CST

Capn12

Adolfo is the type of guy that will get fans excited by being good for the first 3-4 weeks of the season, then when the scouting report comes out on him, completely suck. 

Eh.. screw it I had fun watching Yermin last year before it happened. At least Adolfo can play adequate to solid defense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Adolfo is the type of guy that will get fans excited by being good for the first 3-4 weeks of the season, then when the scouting report comes out on him, completely suck. 

Eh.. screw it I had fun watching Yermin last year before it happened. At least Adolfo can play adequate to solid defense.

Isn't that part of growing pains for any young ML player? 

41 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

They’ve invested a lot of resources into him over the last decade.   Do they really just let him walk?

Yes. You're trying to win a championship. They don't have time to stick a rookie (who is the farthest thing from a sure thing) in RF and see how he performs. We're not talking about a Robert or Madrigal or Kopeck level prospect here. Plus taking AB's away from Vaughn or Sheets for a unproven commodity is criminal. I would be surprised if someone claimed him anyways.

40 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Yes. You're trying to win a championship. They don't have time to stick a rookie (who is the farthest thing from a sure thing) in RF and see how he performs. We're not talking about a Robert or Madrigal or Kopeck level prospect here. Plus taking AB's away from Vaughn or Sheets for a unproven commodity is criminal. I would be surprised if someone claimed him anyways.

Does he have to be claimed and put on a 40 man or does he become a free agent?

https://www.milb.com/news/gcs-160280956

"Like most people who love baseball, Jeremy Barfield had a great time watching last year's World Series on TV. For Barfield, though, the final out of Game 5 carried with it a significance few fans understand.

That final out meant that in five days, he would be in a position he'd grown increasingly accustomed to recently. He would be out of a job.

"My thing is, obviously I enjoyed the World Series as a fan, but it's a ticking clock," said the 27-year-old outfielder, who has been on the open market four times in 12 months. "It's like, 'Here we go again.'"

Players become Minor League free agents when they've been released from their original contract or after their first six full seasons in the Minors. They often find themselves waiting for the phone to ring with considerably more angst than that of big-league free agents. When superstars such as David Price, Zack Greinke and Jason Heyward become free agents, they inevitably fuel a hot stove rumor mill and end up with big paychecks, but there are no guarantees for players in Barfield's situation."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Does he have to be claimed and put on a 40 man or does he become a free agent?

He's out of options, so he has to be on the 28 man (or 26 later in the season) or else be exposed to waivers, unless he elects Free Agency and signs a minor league deal. 

I think the Pirates, Diamondbacks or Orioles might give him a look on the MLB roster and he might bounce between those teams this year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's out of options, so he has to be on the 28 man (or 26 later in the season) or else be exposed to waivers, unless he elects Free Agency and signs a minor league deal. 

I think the Pirates, Diamondbacks or Orioles might give him a look on the MLB roster and he might bounce between those teams this year. 

In order for us to keep him he’d have to clear waivers so we can send him to the minors one more time.  

I can’t find any info on what the claiming team must do except pay the 20k to the Sox and pay his salary (peanuts).  Are they required to roster him on the 26 all year like the rule 5?  That would make sense to me.  

I mean they can’t just send him to the minors and keep him on their 40, that wouldn’t make sense.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

In order for us to keep him he’d have to clear waivers so we can send him to the minors one more time.  

I can’t find any info on what the claiming team must do except pay the 20k to the Sox and pay his salary (peanuts).  Are they required to roster him on the 26 all year like the rule 5?  That would make sense to me.  

I mean they can’t just send him to the minors and keep him on their 40, that wouldn’t make sense.  

It's the same process as when a guy is DFA'd. The other team claims him, and they can try to sneak him though waivers too if they wish.

• Like 1

I didn't see the game today, so no idea what kind of stuff he had, but is Sousa a possibility for a bullpen spot, especially if Ruiz struggles all spring?

Sousa had 71 K's in 47 IP last year, so must have decent stuff. Also had 2 K's in an inning today. 

22 minutes ago, ChetLemon77 said:

I didn't see the game today, so no idea what kind of stuff he had, but is Sousa a possibility for a bullpen spot, especially if Ruiz struggles all spring?

Sousa had 71 K's in 47 IP last year, so must have decent stuff. Also had 2 K's in an inning today. 

https://www.southsidesox.com/2018/9/4/17805656/under-the-radar-bennett-sousa-southpaw-white-sox

I would guess he's picked up 2-3 mph along with most relievers these last few years.  He's definitely not the flamethrower type, quietly effective.

• Like 1

I don't expect them to bring Micker to Chicago with one of the extra spots (or the 26th spot over Romy/Medick) but I don't think he would take at bats away from Vaughn if they did. Probably from Sheets in a platoon where he faces only lefties.

I also feel like there is a decent chance he clears waivers.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ChetLemon77 said:

MLB pipeline has him as a top 30 guy, his FB was 94-98, and his slider is graded as a 60 pitch coming in at 88-91. He’s definitely reworked some stuff since the pandemic started.