10 Steps to Save the Season

In any other corporate situation, steps would be taken to oust the CEO when things go bad. But JR has controlling interest of the stock, and the board is old and infirm anyway. As I have said before, other board members stopped caring a long time ago.

What should happen is that a good and experienced baseball man should come in and take control. He should hire his own manager and coaching staff. Then he should do an extensive analysis of the organization and then make appropriate changes. And he must have no past ties to the White Sox.

Of course, this won't happen. But short-term changes will not turn the club around. Things have to be done differently for the simple reason past practices have shown things just haven't worked. Firing LaRussa would help, but a lot more has to be done or this rebuild will fail big time.  Then what will they do? Another tank job?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And let’s pretend for a moment all this happened, here’s your new lineup against RHP:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Robert, CF
  3. Reynolds, RF#
  4. Vaughn, LF
  5. Abreu, 1B
  6. Moncada, 3B#
  7. Jimenez, DH
  8. Grandal, C#
  9. Sanchez, 2B

Bench: Pollock, Engel, Garcia#, Burger, McGuire*

It’s just a minor piece but worth saying again - Andrew Vaughn is awful in the OF. Just terrible. He currently has the worst OAA in all of baseball- literally the worst in the big leagues. If a lineup includes him in LF, it has a major problem. He can take over out there for 2 or 3 games in an emergency but should never be there otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It’s just a minor piece but worth saying again - Andrew Vaughn is awful in the OF. Just terrible. He currently has the worst OAA in all of baseball- literally the worst in the big leagues. If a lineup includes him in LF, it has a major problem. He can take over out there for 2 or 3 games in an emergency but should never be there otherwise.

We don’t have a choice at the moment.  Long term he can replace Jose at 1B, but until then we need his bat in the lineup.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We don’t have a choice at the moment.  Long term he can replace Jose at 1B, but until then we need his bat in the lineup.

Then listen to Lillian and acquire Naquin while DFAing Pollock. 

Vaughn is so bad out there it’s worth risking Eloy getting hurt to play Eloy in LF and Vaughn at DH. Getting Vaughn out of LF for 40 games is like adding a win.

52 minutes ago, Highland said:

In any other corporate situation, steps would be taken to oust the CEO when things go bad. But JR has controlling interest of the stock, and the board is old and infirm anyway. As I have said before, other board members stopped caring a long time ago.

What should happen is that a good and experienced baseball man should come in and take control. He should hire his own manager and coaching staff. Then he should do an extensive analysis of the organization and then make appropriate changes. And he must have no past ties to the White Sox.

Of course, this won't happen. But short-term changes will not turn the club around. Things have to be done differently for the simple reason past practices have shown things just haven't worked. Firing LaRussa would help, but a lot more has to be done or this rebuild will fail big time.  Then what will they do? Another tank job?

100% agree with you, unfortunately that process would take years to complete. Its too late to do anything.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Vaughn is so bad out there it’s worth risking Eloy getting hurt to play Eloy in LF and Vaughn at DH. Getting Vaughn out of LF for 40 games is like adding a win.

Then we just nuked another $15 million when we were only on the hook with Kimbrel for $1 million.

Hahn will be fired before he admits he got the worst of both Kimbrel trades.  It will be much easier to dump Harrison.  He's the next scapegoat.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Time to shake things up.  While very little of this will actually happen, these are all moves a competent organization would consider in hopes of righting a sinking ship:

I like this post because I agree with all of it.

I hate this post because holy shit that’s a long list.

I know you said little of this will actually happen, but, for no real reason, here’s my order of likeliness that they do happen :

1. DFA Big Energy/Free Yogurt - These go hand in hand and the Keuchel and Eaton DFAs give me hope.

2. Replace Menechino - I’m in the camp that puts much more blame on the players than the hitting coach, but fine, whatever, do the scapegoat thing at this point.

3. Make Eloy a DH - I don’t trust them to do the right thing.

4. Demote Sheets - I can only expect them to own up to so many of their mistakes. Sheets sticks around in an attempt to prove a point/cover up for the failure to bring in a left-handed bat.

5. Fire Rick Hahn - I’ll be honest, I don’t even understand who gets to make this call. Is it JR? And if so, does he really even care enough to do it? (BTW If you were to tell me that TLR would be in JR’s ear trying to make this happen, I would buy it.)

6. Acquire Brian Reynolds - This is here by default because everything below it seems 1000000% unlikely.

7. Make KW Defacto GM - This here by default because everything below it seems 1000001% unlikely.

8. Fire Tony La Russa/Make Jirschele Manager - As the second most powerful person in the organization, TLR leaves on his own account. As for Jirschele, I have zero faith in them bringing in someone that makes sense at this point. Our next manager will be Will Perdue.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

100% agree with you, unfortunately that process would take years to complete. Its too late to do anything.

Yes, it will take some time to work, but it would be right for the franchise in the long run. Constant tearing down and rebuilding is not the solution without solid leadership. If the the team loses the confidence of its most loyal fans, how will it bring the less die-hard to the ball park? 

4 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I like this post because I agree with all of it.

I hate this post because holy shit that’s a long list.

I know you said little of this will actually happen, but, for no real reason, here’s my order of likeliness that they do happen :

1. DFA Big Energy/Free Yogurt - These go hand in hand and the Keuchel and Eaton DFAs give me hope.

2. Replace Menechino - I’m in the camp that puts much more blame on the players than the hitting coach, but fine, whatever, do the scapegoat thing at this point.

3. Make Eloy a DH - I don’t trust them to do the right thing.

4. Demote Sheets - I can only expect them to own up to so many of their mistakes. Sheets sticks around in an attempt to prove a point/cover up for the failure to bring in a left-handed bat.

5. Fire Rick Hahn - I’ll be honest, I don’t even understand who gets to make this call. Is it JR? And if so, does he really even care enough to do it? (BTW If you were to tell me that TLR would be in JR’s ear trying to make this happen, I would buy it.)

6. Acquire Brian Reynolds - This is here by default because everything below it seems 1000000% unlikely.

7. Make KW Defacto GM - This here by default because everything below it seems 1000001% unlikely.

8. Fire Tony La Russa/Make Jirschele Manager - As the second most powerful person in the organization, TLR leaves on his own account. As for Jirschele, I have zero faith in them bringing in someone that makes sense at this point. Our next manager will be Will Perdue.

I agree the first four items are probably the only ones that might actually happen.  As for Hahn being fired, that probably wouldn’t happen until the offseason and would almost certainly would need to be necessitated by Jerry.

2 minutes ago, Highland said:

Yes, it will take some time to work, but it would be right for the franchise in the long run.

Oh I agree, I am just thinking of salvaging this current window. I dont think its possible. If you gave me the choice between trying to make this work and starting over with competent people I would rip the bandaid off and pack the FOs bags myself.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Time to shake things up.  While very little of this will actually happen, these are all moves a competent organization would consider in hopes of righting a sinking ship:

1. Fire Tony La Russa - This is the biggest no-brainer move possible.  Tony is a lifeless zombie who has no business being a major league manager.  The game has clearly passed him by and it’s evident by his terrible decision-making day after day.  Time for Tony to head back to California where he can get blackout drunk on the daily and go rescue some animals.
  2. Make Jirschele Manager - Forgot bringing back Ozzie or hiring another former player without experience, just go with the best managerial option in the system.  Jirschele has been hyped up quite a bit for years now and the major league team could use a young leader who actually has a pulse.
  3. Fire Rick Hahn - I’ve been a Hahn supporter for some time and gave him a free pass in the past for lackluster moves as he was getting the organization in a better place, but this offseason was so bad / confusing that I can no longer look the other way.  He must be held accountable for failing address the same holes for multiple offseasons.
  4. Make KW Defacto GM - We are in our window and can’t afford letting Hahn oversee another trade deadline.  And when you need a big move, there is only one man for the job and that’s Trader Kenny.  I know handling the day to day at this point is not what he’s looking for, but Jerry can make this happen by telling him it will only be a 1 1/2 season gig.
  5. Replace Menechino - Honestly, I don’t even have a replacement idea here, just bring in any new voice.  I am so fucking sick of watching everyone regressing and it being groundball city night after night.  It may not seem fair to make Menechino the fall guy for players underperforming, but unfortunately we can’t fire all the players so he has to go.
  6. DFA Big Energy - Our big 2B addition has been an utter disaster.  Hard to believe that he was the best we could do, but it ain’t a Rick Hahn offseason without signing some free agents who will be DFAed by the trade deadline.  And while the dude may be a great clubhouse guy, his bat is simply unplayable at this point in career and we have better options in the minors.
  7. Free Yogurt - One of those better options is sitting right there in AAA.  This kid won’t be a star, but he’s a massive upgrade over both Big Energy & Legend.  And at 25 years of age, it’s time to give him a look.  If he doesn’t take advantage of the opportunity, then give Lenyn Sosa a shot or even possibly Romy Gonzalez if he can figure his shit out.
  8. Acquire Bryan Reynolds - I don’t care about some Cuban OFs in AA / A+, the Sox need to finally address RF while also adding a LH bat.  With Kenny as our GM, it’s time to make a bold move.  And yes, I know the cost won’t be cheap despite a slow start and it will certainly deplete an already weakened system.  I’m sure many people will hate this, but I’m thinking that Ramos, Kath, Popeye, & Mena gets it done.
  9. Demote Sheets - With Reynolds in tow, we no longer need to leverage Sheets as our one left-handed power bat.  And quite frankly, there will be way too many bats to fit him in.  As a Gavin fan coming into the season, I’ve been very disappointed with what I’ve seen out of him and this year he’s been passed on the depth chart by Jake Burger.
  10. Make Eloy a DH - I argued against this in the past, but it’s time to put Eloy in a bubble and make him a permanent DH.  Even that won’t protect him from running the bases, but we must limit the opportunities to injure himself.  And with a new hitting coach in place, he’s even more important to this offense.  This means that Vaughn becomes the primary LF and Pollock rotates across all three OF spots.

What do you guys think?  What else could be done to fix this mess?  Share your thoughts and feel free to rip away.

Not bad agree with a lot disagree with a few.

I firing Hahn is long overdue but Kenny's going to have the same problem which is JR is the boss . I guess maybe you said bring in KW because he's been there done that and and a GM search mid-season would take time. KW is past his prime like LaRussa and his heart might not be in it.

I think the Sox need a Latin manager. Not a friend. I don't know if there are any managers left who can tell his team that they are playing like shit and even though they know they suck they need to hear it out loud. Their highs are too high, yet too few and the lows too low almost sulking low. Fun is fun. Celebrate the moment but act like you've been there before kind of manager. Tone down the fun because you're getting serious money so let's get done to business.

The rest I'm fine with.

But I'd also send Moncada a message. You're a 2nd baseman now until you start hitting like a 3rd baseman.

• Like 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I firing Hahn is long overdue but Kenny's going to have the same problem which is JR is the boss . I guess maybe you said bring in KW because he's been there done that and and a GM search mid-season would take time. KW is past his prime like LaRussa and his heart might not be in it.

I think the Sox need a Latin manager. Not a friend. I don't know if there are any managers left who can tell his team that they are playing like shit and even though they know they suck they need to hear it out loud. Their highs are too high, yet too few and the lows too low almost sulking low. Fun is fun. Celebrate the moment but act like you've been there before kind of manager. Tone down the fun because you're getting serious money so let's get done to business.

The rest I'm fine with.

But I'd also send Moncada a message. You're a 2nd baseman now until you start hitting like a 3rd baseman.

Here’s the thing.  We have a rotation of Giolito, Kopech, Cease, & Lynn for another two years.  Either you sell off Giolito at the deadline or you go for broke these next two years.  Kenny is a flawed baseball executive, but he’s a significantly better scout than Hahn will ever be.  And he’s willing to take risk and make a big trade, which will he needed to fix the major flaws with this lineup.

Meanwhile, I’d begin an exhaustive search for our next President of Baseball Operations and rebuild this organization from the ground-up.  Kenny would just be the placeholder while that search takes place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The rest I'm fine with.

Basically, a Cito Gaston or Felipe Alou type.  I’m not even sure what that would look like anymore.  A cross between Beltran and Sandy Alomar and the first two names I just mentioned…but definitely old enough to be respected and yet not too old at the same time.  Of course, most from that generation are not overly into analytics, either.   Earlier managing career Joe Maddon perhaps…while he still had something to prove and not too comfortable yet.

Step 1: Play Better

Step 2: Get Healthy

Step 3: Stay Healthy

Step 4: Clone an actual manager and fuse his dna with TLR so he looks like the old fart and can replace the quack in our dugout

Step 5: Have Lynn be Lynn ( See steps 2 and 3 )

Step 6: Hit the fucking ball ( see step 1 )

Step 7: Play Better

Step 8: Play Better

Step 9: Play Better

Step 10: Play Better

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here’s the thing.  We have a rotation of Giolito, Kopech, Cease, & Lynn for another two years.  Either you sell off Giolito at the deadline or you go for broke these next two years.  Kenny is a flawed baseball executive, but he’s a significantly better scout than Hahn will ever be.  And he’s willing to take risk and make a big trade, which will he needed to fix the major flaws with this lineup.

Meanwhile, I’d begin an exhaustive search for our next President of Baseball Operations and rebuild this organization from the ground-up.  Kenny would just be the placeholder while that search takes place.

Kenny's part of the problem not the solution. Hahn doesn't make his decisions all by himelf. If Jerry has to stay KW doesn't .He's not an analytics guy, He insults the fans. He doesn't have to be a better scout. A good GM should have scouts and analytics people to consult when making trades. If it comes down to the GM's opinion alone on who you trade for and who to give up, God help us all. A GM's job is to narrow down the lists with a lot of help.

I don't want a placeholder for the rest of the window. But that's exactly what Jerry would do . He'd just hire another puppet which is why Kenny would be the logical choice. I don't want logical by Jerry's standards of logic and that's what you are doing by suggesting KW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Kenny's part of the problem not the solution. Hahn doesn't make his decisions all by himelf. If Jerry has to stay KW doesn't .He's not an analytics guy, He insults the fans. He doesn't have to be a better scout. A good GM should have scouts and analytics people to consult when making trades. If it comes down to the GM's opinion alone on who you trade for and who to give up, God help us all. A GM's job is to narrow down the lists with a lot of help.

I don't want a placeholder for the rest of the window. But that's exactly what Jerry would do . He'd just hire another puppet which is why Kenny would be the logical choice. I don't want logical by Jerry's standards of logic and that's what you are doing by suggesting KW.

I maintain that KW is the lesser of two evils in a win now situation.  Ultimately both guys should go, but give me Kenny for a year and hope that a thorough search results in a quality hire who can truly transform the organization.  I would hate to rush such an important decision as the repercussions can last a decade.

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I maintain that KW is the lesser of two evils in a win now situation.  Ultimately both guys should go, but give me Kenny for a year and hope that a thorough search results in a quality hire who can truly transform the organization.  I would hate to rush such an important decision as the repercussions can last a decade.

We disagree then. The lesser of 2 evils, which may not actually be true ,isn't a solution. You're trading one puppet for another. While Jerry's in charge getting TLR and RH out the door aren't going to happen but if they did then KW as interim GM also shouldn't happen. No one can actually transform the organization until the proper funds are allowed tobe placed in the right places. JR skimps in all facets of the organization so transformation isn't possible until JR isn't here.

It's like you holding out hope for the Conforto signing. You're dancing to the same tune.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I don't expect them to do anything significant at this point.  I think we have to stop pretending they're in the middle of some fictitious "window."   That was PR to sell the rebuild.  In their last 122 games, they are 62-60.  That is not a juggernaut.  The cost of the improvements necessary for them to right the ship, even in this weak division, will not ultimately justify going all in for 2022.  I am still haunted by the team's denial that they were contenders in 2016, which led them to make the Shields trade.  I am terrified they're gonna trade what few assets they have in the minors for a series of one and two year band-aids that are not much different from the Shields, Yonder, Alonso, AJ Pollock, Josh Harrison, Craig Kimbrel, Joe Kelly, Adam Eaton, John Jay etc etc etc that they have acquired over the past few years.  I say, they should unload the dead weight on this roster like Harrison and try to get something at the deadline for Pollock, Kelly, and Graveman (if the first two rebound).  I think you also have to listen on Giolito.  He's not signing an extension and the Sox aren't giving him $250 million. I'd also listen on Lynn and almost anyone else not name Robert, Anderson, Vaughn, or Kopech.  This team had flaws in its construction that need to be addressed.  Look at the Padres.  They rethought their team, got a real manger in there and jumped up significantly.  The Sox can do that, but it's unrealistic to believe that's going to happen in 2022.  I'd shift focus to 2023 and beyond.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Not many people thought I was right when I said Vaughn would be exposed as a bad fielder sooner or later. I got more laugh emoji's than I could count. I've been eye testing OF's for a long long time and speed is the 1st thing I look at. It makes up for some other deficiencies that can be learned but a fielder never gets any faster.