TA out 3 weeks

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

The bitter irony is that given the injuries, management gets to come off as looking genius for signing Leury and keeping him fresh with regular playing time...

Not sure what the scenario is where 190/.200/.276/.476 qualifies as genius is, but I don't think this is it.  I would go with signing one of the guys like Baez or Story to a contract where they could now be playing SS as a better situation, but hey.  You do you.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not sure what the scenario is where 190/.200/.276/.476 qualifies as genius is, but I don't think this is it.  I would go with signing one of the guys like Baez or Story to a contract where they could now be playing SS as a better situation, but hey.  You do you.

I wonder what a Semien conversation would look like.

56 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

In other news, the Twins are starting to falter and can hardly field a team right now, and they go to Toronto after us. Word is “multiple” prominent twins won’t be making that trip. Schedule starts to get tough for the Twinkies after this Detroit series - could definitely see this being their high water mark. So for anyone searching for a positive, that’s all I got. 

I've never thought the Sox weren't favorites to win the division, and I still don't unless TA is out beyond August 15. The problem is that this team will win the division, lose the WC series to Toronto or the DS to Houston and management will think they made good moves because they won the division. I still think the best chance to win a World Series in '23 or '24 will be if the Sox miss the playoffs entirely this year and some kind of shakeup results.

10 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I've never thought the Sox weren't favorites to win the division, and I still don't unless TA is out beyond August 15. The problem is that this team will win the division, lose the WC series to Toronto or the DS to Houston and management will think they made good moves because they won the division. I still think the best chance to win a World Series in '23 or '24 will be if the Sox miss the playoffs entirely this year and some kind of shakeup results.

I wonder what my thoughts would have been 15 years ago when we would be complaining about only winning the divsion?

12 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Fangraphs still has sox as 47.7% favorite to win division (64.4% to make playoffs), slightly over Twins at 45.7% to win division.  I doubt that takes TA's situation into account though.    

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fangraphs still has sox as 47.7% favorite to win division (64.4% to make playoffs), slightly over Twins at 45.7% to win division.  I doubt that takes TA's situation into account though.    

Betting websites still have the Sox at -120 (favored).  That would take into account his injury, though for severity they could just be assuming a month or so.  If it's more serious, maybe it'll change more.  

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Javy Baez is hitting .195 and no one trusts a player coming out of Coors especially one getting $140M. No team can prepare for their star SS getting hurt or their core players like Grandal, Abreu, Eloy, Robert, Moncada, etc. being hurt and/or ineffective. It is what it is. This team goes as those guys go. It’s certainly not too late to mount a divisional comeback considering the division is god awful and the Sox have the starting rotation to consistently keep them in games.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yea because the Twins are average at best and the rest of the division still sucks. It’s still the Sox division to lose imo. Just get in and anything can happen in October, especially if you have one of the best starting rotations in baseball when healthy.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yea because the Twins are average at best and the rest of the division still sucks. It’s still the Sox division to lose imo. Just get in and anything can happen in October, especially if you have one of the best starting rotations in baseball when healthy.

Watching this team day after day, you only see flashes of a team that wants to win a division, let alone one that can do it without key players healthy.

• Fire 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Watching this team day after day, you only see flashes of a team that wants to win a division, let alone one that can do it without key players healthy.

Sometimes it just clicks, sometimes it doesn’t. Too early to write them off. The talent is there.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't think Fangraphs has properly recalculated the true talent level of the club. No I don't have any proof other than watching them but does anybody really believe Grandal is gonna finish with a 129 wRC+? It won't be 54, but I'd bet it's closer to 95 than 125.

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Was traveling over the weekend, are we still waiting on news here?  Are they going to play a man down in Toronto?

No update on TA yet.  Though I'm not expecting the news to be great.  No word on any additions for the Toronto series yet either.  

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

In other news, the Twins are starting to falter and can hardly field a team right now, and they go to Toronto after us. Word is “multiple” prominent twins won’t be making that trip. Schedule starts to get tough for the Twinkies after this Detroit series - could definitely see this being their high water mark. So for anyone searching for a positive, that’s all I got. 

I remember back in April when 90% of this site was fawning over the godly Byron Buxton and many saying the Sox didn’t have a single player on the roster close to his talent level. Flash forward a month and Buxton is hitting .203 with the same fWAR as Robert lol. Baseball is a LONG season and there’s still a ton of ball left to play. Things can look very different three months from now than they look today.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I remember back in April when 90% of this site was fawning over the godly Byron Buxton and many saying the Sox didn’t have a single player on the roster close to his talent level. Flash forward a month and Buxton is hitting .203 with the same fWAR as Robert lol. Baseball is a LONG season and there’s still a ton of ball left to play. Things can look very different three months from now than they look today.

I mean the season is basically 1/3 over. Yea it's a long season, but 30% of it is OVAH. 

17 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Sometimes it just clicks, sometimes it doesn’t. Too early to write them off. The talent is there.

It is going to be a lot harder to click with so many players hurt.  That affects the talent level.  And again, this team just doesn't seem to be interested in playing for anything this year. 

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And the Sox are still hitting like shit.  I mean if they had played to a level that would warrant some optimism, sure. But the offense has been terrible.  The defense has been about the worst I have seen in decades.  The pitching has been up and down.  Injuries and TLR are putting guys like Josh Harrison into the line up WAY too often.  Inconsistent line ups and starting patterns seem to be not allowing the team to hit any kind of a rhythm.  Tim Anderson is probably gone for a couple of months. 

Sure it COULD happen, but I haven't seen anything to show me that it WILL happen.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is going to be a lot harder to click with so many players hurt.  That affects the talent level.  And again, this team just doesn't seem to be interested in playing for anything this year. 

Lynn should be back next week and with Keuchel now out of the picture the starting rotation is going to keep this team in games regardless of the offense.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Lynn should be back next week and with Keuchel now out of the picture the starting rotation is going to keep this team in games regardless of the offense.

If Lance can make it healthy and Cueto stays the luckiest pitcher in baseball.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What does luck have to do with Cueto? If the #5 is sporting a 4 ERA by year end I’d gladly take that with their top 4.

He has been neither healthy, nor a guy has been even decent much lately, which is why no one wanted to give him a real contract.  Factor in pitching half of his games in SF recently, and it gets really scary. 

• Heads22 changed the title to TA out 3 weeks
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic