2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

Kiley McDaniel has a new mock up in which he says Scott Boras seems to be pushing Crews to his old business partner the Nationals.  He has zero intel on the Sox pick and hands them Tommy Troy for no reason after saying they're on Houck and Miller. Both are still on his board, but he gives them Troy. Make of it what you will.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/37914283/2023-mlb-mock-draft-kiley-mcdaniel-predicts-top-picks

Edited by Timmy U

26 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Kiley McDaniel has a new mock up in which he says Scott Boras seems to be pushing Crews to his old business partner the Nationals.  He has zero intel on the Sox pick and hands them Tommy Troy for no reason after saying they're on Houck and Miller. Both are still on his board, but he gives them Troy. Make of it what you will.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/37914283/2023-mlb-mock-draft-kiley-mcdaniel-predicts-top-picks

Kiley McDaniel has always been pretty solid on the Sox and linked them to Crochet and Kelley in 2021 and had them on Montgomery as well. The Sox have been all over the high school bats. They could opt for a college hitter instead though to go underslot. Dollander and Meyer could be options too. It's going to depend on a lot of factors. 

• Thanks 1

my highest percentage likelihood of player to team (after the first gimmes of top ten) is George Wolkow to the yankees. Just own the tall ass slugger market.

I meant to see him this year and ended up with practice at same times every time he was in town.

Would like to see how a Jonny Farmelo or Roch Cholowsky do in our system but at this point would rather we go after someone like a Joe Whitman in the second.

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

my highest percentage likelihood of player to team (after the first gimmes of top ten) is George Wolkow to the yankees. Just own the tall ass slugger market.

I meant to see him this year and ended up with practice at same times every time he was in town.

Would like to see how a Jonny Farmelo or Roch Cholowsky do in our system but at this point would rather we go after someone like a Joe Whitman in the second.

I think Whitman ends up going in the top 25 and I’m expecting White Sox to take prep pitching in round 2 at this point. 

On 6/26/2023 at 4:39 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think Whitman ends up going in the top 25 and I’m expecting White Sox to take prep pitching in round 2 at this point. 

Overall, how would you assess the results of using high choices on prep pitching over the last few years?

40 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Overall, how would you assess the results of using high choices on prep pitching over the last few years?

Not great so far. Schultz looks awesome and Tanner McDougal is promising. Thompson is decent. Kelley has struggled and Dalquist looks like a bust. 

• Thanks 1

Keith Law’s latest mock

15. Chicago White Sox— Hurston Waldrep, RHP, Florida

DOB: 3-01-2022 | Height: 6-2 | Weight: 205

I’ve heard them on a couple of the college arms, including Dollander, as well as Taylor and Yohandy Morales. It sounds like there may be two camps in the front office, one favoring an arm and one a bat.

Scouting ReportWaldrep might have been the No. 2 college pitcher coming into the spring, but a spring of inconsistent performance didn’t helped his draft stock, even with stuff that should have him in the top half of the first round. Waldrep’s splitter is one of the best swing-and-miss pitches in the draft. It’s got huge bottom to it at 85-89 mph, coming in like a fastball and dropping hard very late for the hitter, so he may already be committed to a pitch that’s no longer there. That’s also its weakness, as it usually finishes out of the strike zone. He’s got a hard curveball and a slider, both of which also generate misses but neither of which appears to be more than a fringe-average pitch because he doesn’t consistently finish them out front. I think batters are whiffing because they’re so geared up for the splitter, and that better hitters will pick up the spin and lay off the breaking balls. Even if you want to call the breaking balls average or better based on the whiff rates alone, Waldrep has two things he has to improve: He doesn’t throw enough strikes, and his fastball gets hit hard for something that averages 95 mph. This year Waldrep allowed a 4.83 ERA through the regular season with 12 homers in 15 starts. The whole is less than the sum of the parts, and that could represent an opportunity, because it’s a 70 splitter and plenty of arm strength that could make him a very effective closer, along with the history of durability as a starter.

Hard to imagine they're actually on Waldrep. His best pitch is a splitter, I'm not even sure Sox encourage that pitch. They certainly don't have a lot of guys -- majors or minors -- who throw it. (Touki and... I can't think of any others.) I bet F.O. people are pushing for quick to majors pitching cuz 60% of the rotation will be gone and if Dollander falls, I bet they pounce, so I suppose Waldrep is possible. I would prefer a bat.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I see Callis mocked Jacob Gonzalez to the Sox.  I don't think that's gonna happen, Jim.  Shirley is too good of a scout to fall for a college stat guy.  He's a below avg athlete with a bad swing.  Million times pass. Let one of the model teams make that mistake.  

Lots of rumors that Gonzalez may go #5 to Minnesota 

• Thanks 1

6 days away from the draft.

Top 5 choices in the 1st Round

1. Houck

2. Nimmala

3. Shaw

4. Aidan Miller

5. Chase Davis- His analytic numbers are super impressive. 

Would be extremely happy with any 5 of these players. Please no Morales, Bradfield, or pitching in the 1st round. 

• Heads22 pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic