2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

They have the Sox passing on Nimmala, McGonigle, & Houck here, which I wouldn't be too thrilled about. 

15. White Sox — Yohandy Morales, 3B, Miami

Morales is one of the most polarizing players in the class. Some teams love his athleticism and raw power and will point to the fact that he’s performed each year with Miami. So far this spring he’s hitting .390/.460/.651 with 11 home runs and 12 doubles. Teams more pessimistic are likely lower on his defensive play at third base and also wonder about both his swing decisions and how the length of his levers will impact his bat-to-ball skills in pro ball—his easy power does come with some swing and miss. Perhaps the White Sox are a team that can tolerate that risk for the potential upside it comes with. At the moment this feels like the higher end of outcomes for Morales.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

14 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If they took Morales at 1-15 I would think it would be at a significant discount so they can use the savings on later picks.  Still not the direction I would go but that would likely be their thinking.

That makes some sense, but it'd probably just be a very expensive wasted pick because he'll be left to sink or swim just like every other prospect.

15. White Sox
Arjun Nimmala, SS, Strawberry Crest HS, Dover, Fla.
Writer: Geoff

Rationale: The White Sox are in for a potentially long rebuild. Perhaps they can save some money to move around the board with Nimmala here, while netting a high-upside prep player.

51. White Sox
Alexander Clemmey, LHP, Bishop Hendricken HS, Warwick, R.I.
Writer: Peter

Rationale: Clemmey is as projectable as they come in this year's class, and while his strike-throwing ability is a bit of a work in progress, the pure stuff is electric. He features a fastball that will sit comfortably in the mid 90s and top out at 99, as well as an above-average slider and bigger curveball. There is reliever risk with this type of profile, but if he can continue to harness his command and develop his secondary offerings the ceiling is incredibly high.

New mock draft from MLB Pipeline, I believe this one comes from Jonathan Mayo specifically. https://www.mlb.com/news/latest-mlb-2023-mock-draft?t=mlb-draft-coverage

15. White Sox: Aidan Miller, 3B, Mitchell HS, New Port Richey, Fla. (No. 12)
He’s tough to place because a hamate injury kept teams from seeing him this spring, but his strong showing on the summer showcase circuit might be enough. He could move up as he works out for teams.

On 5/12/2023 at 8:22 PM, oldsox said:

I wonder how many, if any, of these prospects are thinking, please don't draft me, White Sox.

Imagine the stink that would cause if players and their agents told the Sox they wouldnt sign with them due to how bad they are at developing.

Keith Law’s 1st Mock. Would hate the  two players being mentioned here.

15. Chicago White Sox – Noble Meyer, RHP, Jesuit High (Portland, Ore.)

I also think they could be the high team on Florida right-hander Hurston Waldrep, who definitely fits in with some of the college starters they’ve favored over the last 10-plus years. This is just me talking here, but in their situation, with a weak farm system and their best prospect on the shelf, I’d be all over some of the college bats likely to be around here – Troy, Shaw, Bradfield (if he gets here), Colton Ledbetter and so on.

Edited by PolishPrince34

• Heads22 pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic