This is the Dumbest Team in Baseball

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Not having Leury as a crutch might force them to churn through the bottom of the roster which would only be a good thing.

If there was someone there that could play every position I'd agree. It's not like he's blocking anyone. With all the injuries having anyone that can cover every position has been great. 

We talk about how all the inconsistent lineups that Tony used was bad for the players. Garcia is the biggest victim. He must travel with five gloves. He's literally batted in every spot in the lineup. Tony puts him high in the order when he's slumping. Tony's managing probably screwed up Garcia more than anyone. 

I don't want the above to make it seem like I  think he can be a starter for most clubs. I'm saying I'm cutting him some slack for having the worst position on the team. Bigger villains in that dugout. 

• Hawk 1

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I've seen the pick off a couple of times in high school and college games. When I was catching it was something my coach taught us to watch for. A lot of times the runner will turnaround and stroll back to the base. 

yea we had a billy badass coach in HS that played college ball that told us to look for that one among a zillion other things. in MLB you never see this stuff because 1) by MLB level self selection has it all but eliminated and 2) you have actual base coaches that are smart and paying attention to help the players out.

this entire coaching staff is poor and that transcends whoever the manager is year to year. why the fuck do boston and joe still have jobs? Stupid loyalty is why. 

• Like 4

How can we fans be complaining about dumb plays and low baseball IQ and no one bring up Tim Anderson yet, especially after his play today not stepping on 2nd base to start that double play?  He makes the dumbest, most mindless plays, and seems to me, far and away the most of any Sox player. 

Even before this season, I was amazed that a major league player could get picked off 2nd base as much as Tim has been. But this year he's been something special. Was it a month, a month and a half ago where Tim got picked off 1st base in back-to-back nights. One of the pick offs was because he tripped and stumbled over 1st base as he stepped back and 1st baseman just held the glove on him as he fell off the base. 

It was a couple or few weeks after that where Tim was running to 2nd base and ran past and tripped coming back and was tagged out. Again, the defender just held the glove on him as he fell off the base. 

Today, he completely missed stepping on 2nd base to start a double play. A player missed stepping on 2nd base to start a double play.  How is that possible?

Mendick had that bonehead play trying to tag up to 2nd base which cost a run. Moncada/ Engel ran into that triple play. And Leury constantly playing drives me crazy, but it seems unfair to pile on about him or the others being as being dumb players and nobody brings up Tim Anderson. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

yea we had a billy badass coach in HS that played college ball that told us to look for that one among a zillion other things. in MLB you never see this stuff because 1) by MLB level self selection has it all but eliminated and 2) you have actual base coaches that are smart and paying attention to help the players out.

this entire coaching staff is poor and that transcends whoever the manager is year to year. why the fuck do boston and joe still have jobs? Stupid loyalty is why. 

Yep

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Right one was Davis Martin.

Who was chastised by TLR?

The other was Jose Ramirez I think...

That's the one where Muncy hit the HR right after. "Most lipreaders felt Muncy said something along the lines of: “f—ing walk him with two strikes. F— you, b–ch!”

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/video-max-muncy-profane-message-white-sox-home-run/598527

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I would say 90% + of objective White Sox fans would say this team has regressed, beyond individual player performances, from the rising 2019-2020 teams to the past two seasons.

Would really love to read a tell all "Ball Four" book covering the 2022 clubhouse. 

It has regressed dramatically with a mind boggling series of moves started by "dangling the carrot", JR. Throw in regression and injuries to the core , last years trade deadline and the off season moves. The FO is way dumber than the players are. Let that sink in .Leury doesn't even belong on a championship team but is rewarded with a 3 year contract because he managed to get 1.8 fWar in 474 PA playing on an injury riddled team last year. Once again he's headed for just as many PA this year only now he's got a -0.9 fWar.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

13 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Throw the intentional walk after throwing a 1st pitch strike into that.

White Sox manager La Russa intentionally walked Dodgers shortstop Trea Turner with a runner on second base -- and a count of one ball and two strikes -- in order to have relief pitcher Bennett Sousa instead face Max Muncy, who promptly hit a three-run home run to give the Dodgers a 10-5 lead in a game they would eventually win 11-9.

2 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Steve Stone is on the Score with Mully & Haugh right now blaming everyone but TLR. It's everyone's fault but the manager.

That's exactly what he has done all season long.  But sure, let's ignore the entire teamwide regression from 20 to 21, and 21 to 22.  I am sure it is all because Yoan doesn't hustle enough or whatever thing he is on today.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chetkincaid said:

I've lost a lot of respect for him over the past few years. And he so sensitive to fans who don't agree with his support for TLR. He gets all pissy when fans complain about TLR.

This is who Steve Stone has always been.  It's why he got run out of the  north side.

50 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is who Steve Stone has always been.  It's why he got run out of the  north side.

He got run out of the north side specifically because he was ruthless towards the manager (Dusty) and the players. Seems different from this scenario. 

Just now, ron883 said:

He got run out of the north side specifically because he was ruthless towards the manager (Dusty) and the players. Seems different from this scenario. 

More specifically, Steve Stone's ego doesn't allow him to shut up. He can think what he wants, but his need for everyone to know he is the smartest guy in the room gets him into trouble.  He is out here going after Sox fans who don't agree with him now, when all he has to do is shut up.

1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

He’s been insufferable ever since he became Tony’s gimp. 

He's been insufferable since Harry Caray died, and nobody was left to check his arrogance.

The entire Cubs organization hated him as he left. Couldn't get along with Hawk Harrelson. Despises the fans. Gets along with Benetti primarily because Jason tosses his salad all game since Day 1. 

He is very knowledgeable and would have been a solid scout or advisor in an organization over the years. But he didn't want to have a boss beyond an Owner, and like Larry Himes who also had great knowledge and built the 1990s core team, he couldn't get along with or manage other human beings. I don't believe there are any competent people who would want to work as a direct report to Steve Stone. Can add John McDonough to that list, though he lasted far too long based on the three Stanley Cups Dale Tallon built.

38 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He's been insufferable since Harry Caray died, and nobody was left to check his arrogance.

The entire Cubs organization hated him as he left. Couldn't get along with Hawk Harrelson. Despises the fans. Gets along with Benetti primarily because Jason tosses his salad all game since Day 1. 

He is very knowledgeable and would have been a solid scout or advisor in an organization over the years. But he didn't want to have a boss beyond an Owner, and like Larry Himes who also had great knowledge and built the 1990s core team, he couldn't get along with or manage other human beings. I don't believe there are any competent people who would want to work as a direct report to Steve Stone. Can add John McDonough to that list, though he lasted far too long based on the three Stanley Cups Dale Tallon built.

Seems like Stone and Bernstein get along quite well. I wonder of Bernstein ever calls him out on his bullshit and blind faith in TLR?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

More specifically, Steve Stone's ego doesn't allow him to shut up. He can think what he wants, but his need for everyone to know he is the smartest guy in the room gets him into trouble.  He is out here going after Sox fans who don't agree with him now, when all he has to do is shut up.

^ All of this.

And I will add to this by saying the following, say Steve Stone is right, and these players are highly flawed in some way.

What does it say about Tony LaRussa that he is getting less out of them as a Hall of Famer guy manager, than an unemployed Ricky Renteria?

But it is also literally the point of having a manager.  It is your job to put together people from all skills, backgrounds, interest levels,etc  and convince them all to work together to get as much out of their potential as possible.  Seeing as the players both individually and as a unit have almost all regressed, and very few have actually broken out or moved forward I can't see how you can argue that even if the roster is flawed, it should be doing a lot better than it is, or even than it was.

14 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

How can we fans be complaining about dumb plays and low baseball IQ and no one bring up Tim Anderson yet, especially after his play today not stepping on 2nd base to start that double play?  He makes the dumbest, most mindless plays, and seems to me, far and away the most of any Sox player. 

Even before this season, I was amazed that a major league player could get picked off 2nd base as much as Tim has been. But this year he's been something special. Was it a month, a month and a half ago where Tim got picked off 1st base in back-to-back nights. One of the pick offs was because he tripped and stumbled over 1st base as he stepped back and 1st baseman just held the glove on him as he fell off the base. 

It was a couple or few weeks after that where Tim was running to 2nd base and ran past and tripped coming back and was tagged out. Again, the defender just held the glove on him as he fell off the base. 

Today, he completely missed stepping on 2nd base to start a double play. A player missed stepping on 2nd base to start a double play.  How is that possible?

Mendick had that bonehead play trying to tag up to 2nd base which cost a run. Moncada/ Engel ran into that triple play. And Leury constantly playing drives me crazy, but it seems unfair to pile on about him or the others being as being dumb players and nobody brings up Tim Anderson. 

dont forget Robert ending the game tagging up from second to third, down two. 

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

That's what I was thinking but I thought that maybe Bernstein's hatred for TLR might make him react a little differently.

Stone has definitely been critical of TLR at times. He's said he has no idea what the team was thinking after intentionally walking players the two times they were ahead in the count.

Bernstein has acknowledged that Stone is an employee of the Sox, so he can't go too hard at the manager. That's pretty much their excuse for him. 

22 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Stone has definitely been critical of TLR at times. He's said he has no idea what the team was thinking after intentionally walking players the two times they were ahead in the count.

Bernstein has acknowledged that Stone is an employee of the Sox, so he can't go too hard at the manager. That's pretty much their excuse for him. 

The conversation is hashed out before he goes on air. Nobody is going to ambush Stone, or get an answer from him if they do.

ESPN local tried that once with Reinsdorf, he said "You're never going to get a bite out of this apple again." and pulled the Bulls off of the station.