Reese McGuire (+ Taylor Broadway) to Red Sox for LHRP Jake Diekman

Buehrle>Wood

1 hour ago, Highland said:

This is not what the Sox needed. Regardless, the problems the team has can't be solved at the trade deadline.

This trade wasn't to solve a problem.  It was to get something useful for something they were going to lose for nothing.

There isn't much more to it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

The only trouble with this move is that the Sox are stuck with this guy for next year.  Hahn just loves his aging relievers.  Pen is where you can save some budget and turn failed starter prospects into relievers at minimum salary.

Is the title correct that the CHW are throwing in extra $ for this?

Yes unless bos takes the ptbnl.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is worth pointing out that if it is cash considerations or a PTBNL that typically means either  a garbage minor league player, or a minimal amount of cash.  This is not like sending cash to cover a contract kind of cash.

I'm sure it's minimal, but can't Hahn just cut a deal 1 for 1, especially when the Sox are getting the worst of it (stuck for 2 seasons) with our 1?  Always lagniappe. 

Just now, GreenSox said:

I'm sure it's minimal, but can't Hahn just cut a deal 1 for 1, especially when the Sox are getting the worst of it (stuck for 2 seasons) with our 1?  Always lagniappe. 

It's bottom of the roster management and nothing more.  They turned a guy they were going to cut any day now into a usable left handed reliever, and they included either like 10k or an old kid struggling at A ball to make it happen.  Look the Sox have had a lot of head scratchers, but this wasn't one of them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

So we're having to give the extra.  Geeze.

They'll probably ship the Red Sox $100k or some organizational filler.  It is very likely a complete non issue not worth an iota of thought at this point. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's bottom of the roster management and nothing more.  They turned a guy they were going to cut any day now into a usable left handed reliever, and they included either like 10k or an old kid struggling at A ball to make it happen.  Look the Sox have had a lot of head scratchers, but this wasn't one of them.

You don't think its even a little bit of a head scratcher that they committed approx. $5.5 million dollars to another reliever

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

You don't think its even a little bit of a head scratcher that they committed approx. $5.5 million dollars to another reliever

Last night Bummer, Kelly, Hendriks, Lopez, and Graveman were not available out of the bullpen.  Bummer is not supposed to be back until September.  This teams top lefty reliever right now is Tanner Banks.

I also get the feeling this might be a pre-emptive move for something to do with Garrett Crochet.

If it's not, and by some miracle of god the Sox have too many lefty relievers next year, there will be another team in MLB who needs one.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He actually can lol there was an infielder a while back that was traded as the PTBNL in a deal that brought him over.

I know it's happened a few times in the past (the one that comes to mind is the late Harry Chiti with the Mets / Indians), but I wasn't sure if there was anything in place to prevent that from happening again.

34 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

If I was trying with the very desperate Sox, I'm not cutting a 1-1 deal. I'm asking for a premium. That's the world Hahn is working in. No one is going to easily hand him a difference maker. 

28 minutes ago, T R U said:

Not even a little bit. This is two neighbors having a garage sale and trading leftover stuff on Sunday afternoon level. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Also it’s utterly hilarious that we have this type of deal at the kids table while the padres just go out and get Soto and Hader. 

While I believe the White Sox did indeed try to win, they certainly weren't ever in the "do whatever it takes to win" category. It was more of a "do what were going to do and if we win great if not, oh well" type of deal.

It's also not what we were promised at all.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jake-diekman-white-sox-trade

White Sox 'excited' for Diekman to join bullpen

Veteran lefty, acquired via trade with Boston, is another high-leverage, late-inning option

“I expect that Rick is going to be trying,” manager Tony La Russa said. “I don’t know what more to say. I know he’s trying.”

I'm somewhat concerned with his 44 appearances this year. Kimbrel had a similar heavy workload before coming here.

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

This “deal” is a referendum on Reese McGuire being a failed offseason acquisition, more than anything else. 

A little confused by this.

McGuire was acquired as a minor upgrade to backup catcher. The org viewed Seby as an adequate back-up now (nobody considered him as such in the offseason), so McGuire became expendable.

Not sure how that constitutes a "failed" acquisition.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, JoeC said:

A little confused by this.

McGuire was acquired as a minor upgrade to backup catcher. The org viewed Seby as an adequate back-up now (nobody considered him as such in the offseason), so McGuire became expendable.

Not sure how that constitutes a "failed" acquisition.

Do you think McGuire’s production was where it needed to be for the amount he played? It didn’t seem like he really contributed much at all, especially offensively. 

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

We're assuming a bullpen acquisition the White Sox made is going to be usable, and not total fucking garbage like every single one before him? Weird.

38 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Do you think McGuire’s production was where it needed to be for the amount he played? It didn’t seem like he really contributed much at all, especially offensively. 

I mean, he met the expectations that everyone had, if not slightly exceeded.

He didn't really contribute much, but he wasn't expected to contribute much. It's not like Grandal or anyone like that who was counted on to do something with the bat.

• Heads22 changed the title to Reese McGuire (+ Taylor Broadway) to Red Sox for LHRP Jake Diekman
  • bmags unpinned this topic