Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

20 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

That’s what I had thought too.

sorry, that was a question! I read this in BA and was confused but I think the point was "this guy would never be an option with 25 man rosters, but may be a player that gets a shot with 26" but I was confused thinking they were saying "rosters are contracting to 25" thought it was a part of the latest CBA I missed.

"

Misner is the type of player who could benefit from the 26-man roster rule. With 25-man rosters and teams sometimes carrying 14-player pitching staffs, it would be hard to see a team carrying Misner as the lone backup outfielder on the roster."

I think this board is largely taking for granted that the Sox have slated Eloy for DH, in order to justify the loss of Abreu.

My money is on Eloy in left with a Burger/Sheets platoon at DH. 

Abreu stated the Sox made him a “great offer,” but that he would leave it at that. If that were the case, that suggests to me two things. That Abreu simply did not want to be part of the dysfunctional Sox anymore, and that the Sox have Eloy slated for left. I don’t believe the Sox are interested in moving either Eloy or Vaughn. The offensive upside is too high. Eloy is still a young man with a favorable contract. Vaughn to me has .300/.400/.550 kind of potential, but whether that comes to fruition next year or three years from now is the question. So if they did offer Abreu a contract, they must have considered Eloy in left acceptable.

My prediction is an outfield of Eloy, Robert, Colas and a budget left handed 4th OFer. Maybe someone like Robbie Grossman. Or like as mentioned a trade for someone like Outman. 

This is the Sox were talking about after all

50 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I think this board is largely taking for granted that the Sox have slated Eloy for DH, in order to justify the loss of Abreu.

Abreu stated the Sox made him a “great offer,” but that he would leave it at that. If that were the case, that suggests to me two things. That Abreu simply did not want to be part of the dysfunctional Sox anymore, and that the Sox have Eloy slated for left. I don’t believe the Sox are interested in moving either Eloy or Vaughn. The offensive upside is too high. Eloy is still a young man with a favorable contract. Vaughn to me has .300/.400/.550 kind of potential, but whether that comes to fruition next year or three years from now is the question. So if they did offer Abreu a contract, they must have considered Eloy in left acceptable.

My prediction is an outfield of Eloy, Robert, Colas and a budget left handed 4th OFer. Maybe someone like Robbie Grossman. Or like as mentioned a trade for someone like Outman. 

Eloy hardly played any LF once Tony went away. When he did, he was run on at will. Hahn has already made comments about Eloy accepting his fate as being the primary DH moving forward.

And the Sox aren’t going to nothing. They may not sign one of the LH OFs, but they’ll definitely acquire one somehow. They’re not just going to run it back with awful lineup balance and OF defense as you’re suggesting. 

Edited by ChiSox59

12 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

If a wRC+ of 93 is a “disaster” for a rookie who skipped AA and AAA, then we are looking at one of the best hitters in the game. 

I'll change it to bad if it makes you feel any better. Once you're up , you're up to help the team. This was supposed to be a World Series team. He didn't help the team to win very much. -7.6  offensive WAR, -11.6  defensive WAR according to fangraphs. Should have been in the minors. I agree with that.

• Like 1

Well Eloy, Robert and Colas backed by someone like Grossman would be vastly superior defensively to Vaughn, Robert and Sheets, and provide more balance with Colas along with Sheets as  primary DH, and switch hitter Grossman off the bench.  So that would still be true even if I am correct.

Seemed pretty obvious the last couple years the Sox would solve the issue, too. Didn’t exactly happen though

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer

6 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Well Eloy, Robert and Colas backed by someone like Grossman would be vastly superior defensively to Vaughn, Robert and Sheets, and provide more balance with Colas along with Sheets as  primary DH, and switch hitter Grossman off the bench.  So that would still be true even if I am correct.

Seemed pretty obvious the last couple years the Sox would solve the issue, too. Didn’t exactly happen though

the only defensive upgrade there is Colas compared to Sheets. Eloy was awful out in LF last year and is likely to miss substantial time with injury if he's out there again, if that's an upgrade over Vaughn it's a laughable one. Grossman was actually worse in the OF last year than Pollock and hasn't played CF in years. That's a pretty terrible OF on paper.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

the only defensive upgrade there is Colas compared to Sheets. Eloy was awful out in LF last year and is likely to miss substantial time with injury if he's out there again, if that's an upgrade over Vaughn it's a laughable one. Grossman was actually worse in the OF last year than Pollock and hasn't played CF in years. That's a pretty terrible OF on paper.

I didn’t say it was good I said it was a vast improvement. Eloy is not good but he is much better than Vaughn and Sheets. I don’t see how that is any more laughable than playing them in the OF to begin with, which is why it sounds like what the Sox would do. I’m not endorsing this, I am predicting it. The Sox are one of the worst run franchises in sports

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Foodies are claiming Hahn had a sit-down with Jerry and convinced him to spend more. 

Color me skeptical. It's just a ruse to spew more bullshit.

I could actually believe this. Kepler + Wong + 1 more backup outfielder brings them to about the payroll they had last year, give or take how you count Pollock's buyout.

8 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I think it was more about Abreu having to DH or split time with Vaughn at 1B, and the plan was to move Vaughn back to his natural position.  Jose wants to play on the field, and he will play 162 games at 1B for the Astro's which is the reason he didn't consider the Sox 1 year offer.  Not saying the Sox didn't offer more than 1 year, I just doubt it strongly.

39 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

the Sox act like a small market team, but don't get any of the benefits. 

In fairness, the Sox spent more money on payroll than any of the teams listed above, so it's a stretch to say they act like a small market club.  Granted they don't act like the Yankee's, Dodger's or even the Cubs, but all those clubs have their own TV revenue streams and fan's that fill their stadiums.  

13 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I think it was more about Abreu having to DH or split time with Vaughn at 1B, and the plan was to move Vaughn back to his natural position.  Jose wants to play on the field, and he will play 162 games at 1B for the Astro's which is the reason he didn't consider the Sox 1 year offer.  Not saying the Sox didn't offer more than 1 year, I just doubt it strongly.

Right but that only makes sense if Eloy is blocking DH. Otherwise there would be room for Vaughn and Abreu. When Eloy is playing leftfield six months from now, that argument no longer makes. It’s not a matter of Vaughn vs Abreu. It’s Sheets/Burger vs Abreu. This is ignored because it doesn’t support the Sox are better without Abreu argument

32 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

In fairness, the Sox spent more money on payroll than any of the teams listed above, so it's a stretch to say they act like a small market club.  Granted they don't act like the Yankee's, Dodger's or even the Cubs, but all those clubs have their own TV revenue streams and fan's that fill their stadiums.  

What's the point if they spend on bullshit? Bryce Harper ar $25.7M is more efficient than Keuchel+Kelly around the same. 

9 hours ago, bmags said:

sorry, that was a question! I read this in BA and was confused but I think the point was "this guy would never be an option with 25 man rosters, but may be a player that gets a shot with 26" but I was confused thinking they were saying "rosters are contracting to 25" thought it was a part of the latest CBA I missed.

"

Misner is the type of player who could benefit from the 26-man roster rule. With 25-man rosters and teams sometimes carrying 14-player pitching staffs, it would be hard to see a team carrying Misner as the lone backup outfielder on the roster."

Sox need 30. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They shouldn't be rewarded with extra draft picks for choosing the latter. 

I'd normally agree, but given that the Cubs (at least by twitter followers) own 70% of the Chicago baseball market, the Sox are actually a mid market team in a large market. They are not the Angels or Mets. They are closer to the A's. 

If Hahn did have this supposed sit down, who would actually know about it, know the specifics, and be close enough but also insulated enough to leak this to a new random food based Twitter account?  These jackasses are beyond parody at this point. 🙄🙄

Edited by Tnetennba