10/4- Twins at Sox, 7:10

flavum

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was totally against it before. It's his best season since 2017 so getting a repeat next year of what he's done with the Sox since they've had him seems highly unlikely for a 34 year old. However his glove is very good. He can steal a base every now and then and 17 HR's would be tied for the most on the Sox if he had hit them all with them.

Andrus is a very good base runner as well, and has been a good lead off hitter.

6 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Pre-2022 Engel catches that. He's getting non tendered for sure

I don't know if it was last years hamstring injuries or what - but his defense fell off a cliff. Than again - so did Robert's.  Makes you wonder.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

Sox fans are often quite classy in that respect. 

Great evidence was the standing ovations when the Big Hurt first  came back with the A's and I think hit a homer in his first 2 at bats.....although less people stood for his third at bat if I remember correctly 😁

40 minutes ago, wegner said:

How many games under .500 would they have finished without Elvis?

Cueto and Andrus have probably given the Sox around 6 wins and that's a conservative estimate. So they'd probably be 10 games under without them. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Cueto and Andrus have probably given the Sox around 6 wins and that's a conservative estimate. So they'd probably be 10 games under without them. 

That is kinda what I thought just for Elvis.  They actually cooled off when he did.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Well your leaving out the fact that the Sox could have just signed Frank as opposed to sending two good players away for Thome.

Aaron Rowand had the best season in that trade (5.1 bWAR 2007), and the Sox also gave up a 28.3 bWAR pitcher in the process.

I do agree the injuries played a role, but Kenny’s comments kicking Frank on the way out were typical of the way the White Sox have conducted business since the AL Owners brought Jerry into their sad little club.

I really don't want to fall down the "roster construction rabbit hole" from a team almost 20 years ago, but similar to this team (weird, I know) the Sox were too RH and needed a big LH bat in the middle of the lineup. Thome provided that, and the 2006 offense was a force. 

Trading Rowand hurt obviously because of the massive flop of Brian Anderson, but he was ranked the #51 best prospect in baseball entering the 2006 season, played tremendous D and was coming off a .294/.358/.470 slash in AAA in 2005 and looked more than ready to handle the position. 

Again, I will 100% agree the way Frank left the organization was handled incredibly poorly from a PR perspective and should have absolutely been handled differently. But in terms of roster construction, the trade made sense at the time and still basically holds up now. I'm not going to put a ton of blame on the FO for the failures of Anderson and Frank putting together two very solid years at age 38 and 39. Thome was an absolute force in 2006 and it truly seemed like the pitching staff in 2005 sold their souls for that year, and just didn't have anything left to give in 2006. The entire starting staff regressed and insane 2005 seaosns from Cotts, Politte, Jenks and Hermanson in 2005 just weren't matched. The pitching was rough that year and they still managed to pound their way to 90 wins in what turned out to be a pretty great AL Central in 2006

• Hawk 1

24 minutes ago, Tony said:

I really don't want to fall down the "roster construction rabbit hole" from a team almost 20 years ago, but similar to this team (weird, I know) the Sox were too RH and needed a big LH bat in the middle of the lineup. Thome provided that, and the 2006 offense was a force. 

Trading Rowand hurt obviously because of the massive flop of Brian Anderson, but he was ranked the #51 best prospect in baseball entering the 2006 season, played tremendous D and was coming off a .294/.358/.470 slash in AAA in 2005 and looked more than ready to handle the position. 

Again, I will 100% agree the way Frank left the organization was handled incredibly poorly from a PR perspective and should have absolutely been handled differently. But in terms of roster construction, the trade made sense at the time and still basically holds up now. I'm not going to put a ton of blame on the FO for the failures of Anderson and Frank putting together two very solid years at age 38 and 39. Thome was an absolute force in 2006 and it truly seemed like the pitching staff in 2005 sold their souls for that year, and just didn't have anything left to give in 2006. The entire starting staff regressed and insane 2005 seaosns from Cotts, Politte, Jenks and Hermanson in 2005 just weren't matched. The pitching was rough that year and they still managed to pound their way to 90 wins in what turned out to be a pretty great AL Central in 2006

Yeah, Anderson was poor with the bat and Ozzie brought the hammer down right away. Makes me wonder if he might have progressed if he was handled differently.  Mike Cameron hit sub .200 for a season and kept the CF job.  Most of us thought Anderson was a party animal and didn't like him.  Others who did far worse seem to be made of Teflon.

• Hawk 1

5 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Yeah, Anderson was poor with the bat and Ozzie brought the hammer down right away. Makes me wonder if he might have progressed if he was handled differently.  Mike Cameron hit sub .200 for a season and kept the CF job.  Most of us thought Anderson was a party animal and didn't like him.  Others who did far worse seem to be made of Teflon.

And Mackowiak was a disaster in CF, which certainly didn't help the pitching issues in 2006