Official NBA 22-23

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I bring this up a lot but the one part about Lauri that I forgive the bulls about is his whole heart issues episode. It tanked a whole second half right as he was exploding for us and he wasn't the same. I didn't want to bank on that (esp after eddy curry).

Turned out it just kinda went away. 

But we have seen with Wendell Carter in Orlando and Lauri, it can just take way longer.

BUt Coby's playmaking has been what's set this all apart (and the 3s). He's become this fast-pace distributor and the whole team has responded. I saw some graphic today that we are like 2nd in total passes per game since Zach left.

Wendell still stinks in my book LOL.  But you are right - it can take longer and development isn't always linear - that seems to be clear.  I don't think I saw Coby taking it to this level and sure didn't see this sort of growth out of Patrick Williams. We talked about how for this team to really improve the needle - it would be on those 2 individuals really ascending and wow.  

I am not saying Williams is a building block yet - I still say I have seen way too much stink out of him to change my mind just yet - but he's actually now had his first month of his professional career where I can at least see the potential talked about when he was drafted.  White clearly has benefited from the new shooting coach and the dude just keeps working - so kudos to him. I didn't see him becoming the playmaker he has.  Either way - the future of the team looks better if those two are solid (especially since White is signed to a very affordable deal) because they at least could be compotent building blocks who if you than find other players to put around you makes you better (cause I have no idea what the plan is around Derozan / Vuc / Lavine).   What will they get for Lavine and how will that pair up with those younger players and than what do you do with Vuc / Derozan longer term....cause they can't be the LT future (although I do understand keeping Derozan around as your veteran glue guy).  

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Three team trade with Cleveland and Portland.  

Yeah - that was under AK.  It was done after we got Lonzo and S&T for Derozan.  We than moved on from Lauri via trade (when we could have just signed him to a restricted deal - his market wasn't huge).  Bulls had bird rights to him still and moving him had no bearing on Ball/Derozan. 

Bulls traded Lauri in end of August 28th, 2021 - Bulls S&T for Demar on August 11th, 2021.  All moves made by the CURRENT front office.  The Portland pick we keep waiting for (that might just turn into a 2nd) came out of that deal (plus Jones JR or someone).  Clearly Bulls would have 

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - that was under AK.  It was done after we got Lonzo and S&T for Derozan.  We than moved on from Lauri via trade (when we could have just signed him to a restricted deal - his market wasn't huge).  Bulls had bird rights to him still and moving him had no bearing on Ball/Derozan. 

Bulls traded Lauri in end of August 28th, 2021 - Bulls S&T for Demar on August 11th, 2021.  All moves made by the CURRENT front office.  The Portland pick we keep waiting for (that might just turn into a 2nd) came out of that deal (plus Jones JR or someone).  Clearly Bulls would have 

I know that was under AK.  I said he was a depreciated asset due to the previous administration, AKME moved him because they didn’t feel like committing was the correct move, and considering he didn’t pop until after Cleveland, I can’t disagree with it.  And even though you think now that they should have just sat on him and hoped he became what he is showing now, it did not look very likely 

23 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wendell still stinks in my book LOL.  But you are right - it can take longer and development isn't always linear - that seems to be clear.  I don't think I saw Coby taking it to this level and sure didn't see this sort of growth out of Patrick Williams. We talked about how for this team to really improve the needle - it would be on those 2 individuals really ascending and wow.  

I am not saying Williams is a building block yet - I still say I have seen way too much stink out of him to change my mind just yet - but he's actually now had his first month of his professional career where I can at least see the potential talked about when he was drafted.  White clearly has benefited from the new shooting coach and the dude just keeps working - so kudos to him. I didn't see him becoming the playmaker he has.  Either way - the future of the team looks better if those two are solid (especially since White is signed to a very affordable deal) because they at least could be compotent building blocks who if you than find other players to put around you makes you better (cause I have no idea what the plan is around Derozan / Vuc / Lavine).   What will they get for Lavine and how will that pair up with those younger players and than what do you do with Vuc / Derozan longer term....cause they can't be the LT future (although I do understand keeping Derozan around as your veteran glue guy).  

Carter isn't a big deal, but he was just as much of a disappearing act as Patrick Williams.

Thing with williams is he's going to be expensive. If he increases his volume of 3s alone, he's gonna get paid.

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I know that was under AK.  I said he was a depreciated asset due to the previous administration, AKME moved him because they didn’t feel like committing was the correct move, and considering he didn’t pop until after Cleveland, I can’t disagree with it.  And even though you think now that they should have just sat on him and hoped he became what he is showing now, it did not look very likely 

Gotcha - fair enough and I do agree - the previous regime having Jim Boylen for as long as they did (i.e more than the short lived interim state) was just a sheer disaster.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Carter isn't a big deal, but he was just as much of a disappearing act as Patrick Williams.

Thing with williams is he's going to be expensive. If he increases his volume of 3s alone, he's gonna get paid.

He will still be restricted though, right?  I guess it depends on how much he explodes for the rest of the year. Otherwise what makes him that much different than White?  Is it just the size - both were picked high - both had long stints where they looked like mediocre players?  I know Williams was supposedly asking for max money - but in a world where Coby got 3/36 coming off of 3 mediocre seasons and a 4th year where he started to show he could be on a winning team...where Williams has basically had that exact same trajectory....yet he'll get double what Williams got?  

And you may be right by the way - just trying to understand what drives such a stark difference in valuation (is it just positional versality)?  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Gotcha - fair enough and I do agree - the previous regime having Jim Boylen for as long as they did (i.e more than the short lived interim state) was just a sheer disaster.  

It honestly was zero forward movement for the entire time he was here.  It’s incredible that guy still works in the league 

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

It honestly was zero forward movement for the entire time he was here.  It’s incredible that guy still works in the league 

I assume he tactically brings something - the problem is as a HC whatever it was didn't work at all.  But I don't know.  NBA has a lot of assistants in general given the overall small size of roster.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

He will still be restricted though, right?  I guess it depends on how much he explodes for the rest of the year. Otherwise what makes him that much different than White?  Is it just the size - both were picked high - both had long stints where they looked like mediocre players?  I know Williams was supposedly asking for max money - but in a world where Coby got 3/36 coming off of 3 mediocre seasons and a 4th year where he started to show he could be on a winning team...where Williams has basically had that exact same trajectory....yet he'll get double what Williams got?  

And you may be right by the way - just trying to understand what drives such a stark difference in valuation (is it just positional versality)?  

The thing will be Coby was a scoring point guard with little playmaking (until this year) and Pat will be a lengthy wing with strong defense and 3 pt shooting. Marvin Williams made quite a bit of money on that.

If the Bulls aren’t going to trade Lavine they need to launch Demar into space. He is a black hole and having two black holes doesn’t work. 

Derozan can be traded now and just get on with it. Quite frankly I expect once he is gone, Lavine will play better and maybe they can move him for a better package too. 

Demar iso ball is so old. 

• Like 2

Just now, Stinky Stanky said:

Or the lazy coach has to recognize this and go in a different direction at crunch time.  Like draw up a play or two.

Yeah it's on Billy too. I don't know how you have him ISO for like 5 straight possessions when it was clear he didn't have it tonight. 

On 1/10/2024 at 9:30 PM, chw42 said:

They need to trade DeMar. This ISO s%*# in the last 2 minutes is unbearable. 

Drives me insane, especially the last play of the game. 20 seconds left and Demar just dribbles until 7 seconds and starts to go and then shoots 3 feet inside the three point line. Nobody else moves, no passes, nothing. Like what the hell are they talking about during the timeout for a minute?