10/5- Twins at Sox, 3:10

flavum

37 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

One of the worst lineups of the season.  Harrison batting 5 th and Payton 6 th is a bad joke. This is a AAA + lineup.  No swan song for Abreu, Grandal, Eloy and Leury no where to be seen with his high salary.  I guess Cairo know s he is a goner and doesn’t care if the Sox finish at just .500.

16 meaningless games in baseball today makes me happy. It worked out ok with 6 teams on each league making postseason, but the trade off is no drama on the last day. And thank god they didn’t go to 7 playoff teams! 6 is pushing it but let’s learn from this season! Enough with mediocre to bad teams making the playoffs. Now the next step…eliminating divisions and seeding in order. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. There will not be substantial FA demand for him. 

He could also play 150 games there and put up the mid .600s OPS that he did from 2018-July 2022, before suddenly having a monster month and a half out of no where. This is also why there won't be substantial FA demand for him. 

Never discount those stats but maybe it all came together for him playing for Tony.

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

Never discount those stats but maybe it all came together for him playing for Tony.

This season he's hit a HR on 3% of his plate appearances. Never before in his career has he homered in that high of a % of his PAs. On top of that, It's been 4.8% while in Chicago, and was 2% in Oakland. His HR/FB rate in Chicago of 19.6% is nearly triple the 7.1% he put up in Oakland in the first half of the season and more than triple his career mark of 5.9%. The league average is supposedly just under 10%, which fits for Andrus being typically less than that since he's not exactly known as a power hitter. His FB rate is even down since he came to Chicago from Oakland, although not outside his career marks, so he's hitting fewer FB and they're just going out of the park.

On top of that, his exit velocity in Chicago is lower than any season of his career since that was tracked, his walk rate is lower than any season of his career, his K rate is higher than any season of his career. 

His batting average in Oakland was .237, his OBP was .301. His batting average in Chicago is .277, his OBP is .312. This is a guy who started swinging a little more aggressively, got lucky on a couple swings, and had a surge of HR that he probably hasn't done before and won't duplicate again. Everything about his numbers screams "would have an OPS in the .600s but got a few extra HR swings in Chicago", which is totally a thing that baseball allows over stretches of 200 plate appearances. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

28 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Ovation?  There will probably be bout 5,000 people there.

It continues to be rather telling that Garcia isn't even playing in these worthless games. 

o·va·tion
/ōˈvāSH(ə)n/

noun
  1. 1.
    a sustained and enthusiastic show of appreciation from an audience, especially by means of applause.

Nowhere in that definition does it indicate that it has to be a large audience to be an ovation :D
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I was saying early to a buddy to start him and pull him from the field in like the 5th.

I could see Miami being his interest but not likely to leave otherwise. Jose is our Cuban ambassador.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This season he's hit a HR on 3% of his plate appearances. Never before in his career has he homered in that high of a % of his PAs. On top of that, It's been 4.8% while in Chicago, and was 2% in Oakland. His HR/FB rate in Chicago of 19.6% is nearly triple the 7.1% he put up in Oakland in the first half of the season and more than triple his career mark of 5.9%. The league average is supposedly just under 10%, which fits for Andrus being typically less than that since he's not exactly known as a power hitter. His FB rate is even down since he came to Chicago from Oakland, although not outside his career marks, so he's hitting fewer FB and they're just going out of the park.

On top of that, his exit velocity in Chicago is lower than any season of his career since that was tracked, his walk rate is lower than any season of his career, his K rate is higher than any season of his career. 

His batting average in Oakland was .237, his OBP was .301. His batting average in Chicago is .277, his OBP is .312. This is a guy who started swinging a little more aggressively, got lucky on a couple swings, and had a surge of HR that he probably hasn't done before and won't duplicate again. Everything about his numbers screams "would have an OPS in the .600s but got a few extra HR swings in Chicago", which is totally a thing that baseball allows over stretches of 200 plate appearances. 

I luuuuvvvv when you analyze.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would guess he likes hitting at Sox Park or he figured something out. Seems he out-performed a number of his teammates. His ops fits right in here.

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

I would guess he likes hitting at Sox Park or he figured something out. Seems he out-performed a number of his teammates. His ops fits right in here.

His career OPS is 0.697. At US Cellular/Guaranteed Rate field, it's .708 - including this year. His HR rate total at US Cellular/GR field is 2.4% - slightly elevated from his career mark, which is totally what one would expect for this ballpark which is somewhat HR friendly. That's half the rate he has put up for the White Sox in 2022. 

Also, he's hit 9 HR with the White Sox. 6 have been hit on the road. So unless he really likes something about the White Sox's road jerseys, no that doesn't fit either. 

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Maybe he will pinch hit at some point to get his ovation.  It really does seem like all signs point to the Sox moving away from Abreu and I get it.  I just hope it works out.  Vaughn will go from the pressure of playing out of position to the pressure of taking over for a guy who's had a terrific Sox career.  Of course, if I listen to some on this board that won't be a problem because they are going to trade Vaughn too.....clear out all of our DH/1B guys and move Elvis over there for 2023 :D

Letting him go is the right move, even though it hurts.  I just want him to get his much deserved ovation if this is his last game in a Sox uniform.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I genuinely don't get how Abreu isn't playing today, especially when you know he wants to be

3 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

Jose not starting kinda tells me the decision on him is still pending. Kinda tells me he will be back too. Otherwise, they would give him a last hurrah.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Leury still can't get off the bench.  Lol.  

Makes me think there actually maybe is a chance the org moves on from him.  He has 1 PA since September 11th lol.  

Honestly, it makes me wonder if he is really hurt.  He didn't look right for a while, and has just been buried for a while. I mean I get him not playing every day anymore, but to go from that to zero doesn't make sense either.

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

One of the worst lineups of the season.  Harrison batting 5 th and Payton 6 th is a bad joke. This is a AAA + lineup.  No swan song for Abreu, Grandal, Eloy and Leury no where to be seen with his high salary.  I guess Cairo know s he is a goner and doesn’t care if the Sox finish at just .500.

Literally no one should spend any time caring about today's line up, unless their name could be in it.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly, it makes me wonder if he is really hurt.  He didn't look right for a while, and has just been buried for a while. I mean I get him not playing every day anymore, but to go from that to zero doesn't make sense either.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Nice, always makes sense to keep the injured barely usable player on your roster as opposed to putting him on the IL and bringing up someone you can use normally.

• Thanks 1