Joey Gallo Rumor Thread

Chicago White Sox

How excited would you by his addition?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Select your excitement 1 to 10

41 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I believe there was general agreement that the Robertson, Frazier, Kahnle trade to the Yankees was light on the prospect return because the Yankees were taking on Frazier and Robertson's decently big contracts.  Kahnle in particular had like 5 years of control remaining or something ridiculous like that. 

I don't think so. The Sox had to take back Tyler Clippard to make it work. They struck out on 3 pitches with the prospects.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I believe there was general agreement that the Robertson, Frazier, Kahnle trade to the Yankees was light on the prospect return because the Yankees were taking on Frazier and Robertson's decently big contracts.  Kahnle in particular had like 5 years of control remaining or something ridiculous like that. 

Yep.

On 12/11/2022 at 9:44 AM, ChiSox59 said:

With these contracts being given out, Diekman is probably tradable tbh. It was a dumb trade and Diekman has no value, but I am fairly certain someone would take him from the Sox for minor league filler. 

It would be very helpful to find takers for Leury, Diekman, and Kelly.   They represent $20 million that is virtually worthless.

11 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

So who is your closer if you are trading away Hendricks? Does Graveman have experience as a closer? 

Gravemen does have experience closing but Lopez seems like the most likely candidate given he pitched better than Gravemen and you could keep Gravemen in the role he had last year.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

It would be very helpful to find takers for Leury, Diekman, and Kelly.   They represent $20 million that is virtually worthless.

Diekman, perhaps.  Leury isn't moveable at all.  

Kelly I actually think will have a solid season.  The arm is there.  I don't think he'll be worthless in 23, tbh. 

56 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Gravemen does have experience closing but Lopez seems like the most likely candidate given he pitched better than Gravemen and you could keep Gravemen in the role he had last year.

Not sure you can trust Reylo in a position he has never done before. That is usually called setting your employees up to fail. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Not sure you can trust Reylo in a position he has never done before. That is usually called setting your employees up to fail. 

There's going to be obstacles along the way to fixing the vast amount of problems the Sox have. You have to have your depth step up eventually if you're going to win.

Trading Hendriks might be the only way the Sox can spend more money and get more players.

Better now than when he losses his effectiveness or has a major injury.

Lopez had an excellent season last year. He should be trusted to take a next level position.

Plus if Lopez does well the Sox are creating a lot of value  This is how teams climb out of a hole. Trade the good guy who costs a lot get players and lower payroll. Have the next guy step up and get similar value for a lot less money.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There's going to be obstacles along the way to fixing the vast amount of problems the Sox have. You have to have your depth step up eventually if you're going to win.

Trading Hendriks might be the only way the Sox can spend more money and get more players.

Better now than when he losses his effectiveness or has a major injury.

Lopez had an excellent season last year. He should be trusted to take a next level position.

Plus if Lopez does well the Sox are creating a lot of value  This is how teams climb out of a hole. Trade the good guy who costs a lot get players and lower payroll. Have the next guy step up and get similar value for a lot less money.

Let's just keep Hendricks and not put Lopez in the closers role. The Sox tried something like this with Matt Thornton way back when and it didn't work out well. 

What are all the data geeks saying about closers these days? Is it a job that any pitcher can do and putting big $$$ into a lockdown closer is no longer the savvy play? 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Let's just keep Hendricks and not put Lopez in the closers role. The Sox tried something like this with Matt Thornton way back when and it didn't work out well. 

What are all the data geeks saying about closers these days? Is it a job that any pitcher can do and putting big $$$ into a lockdown closer is no longer the savvy play? 

I think you have to remember Hendriks was a failed starting pitcher before he became an elite closer just like Lopez is a failed starter. That is what happens often and that's a good path for many guys in the BP  these days. Just because Thornton couldn't close has nothing to do with how Lopez will pan out. Hardly anyone is drafted as solely a relief pitcher.

If the Sox don't trade Hendriks then how do they climb out of the hole they are in ? They aren't spending money. That leaves trades. Hahn has said as much already . Hendriks on a .500 team is useless .

If you think the Sox can contend then they need a lot of help from 11 players who were either hurt or performed poorly last year. Then Hendriks has to do what he always does in his age 34 season.  If he gets injured  the Sox lose a guy who a lot of teams want right now.

To a contender  he may be the difference between a playoff team and a World Championship. If he gets injured he loses a lot of value.

There is no easy way out here.

Just hanging onto aging good players until they lose effectiveness due to age or injury is not a good strategy.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think you have to remember Hendriks was a failed starting pitcher before he became an elite closer just like Lopez is a failed starter. That is what happens often and that's a good path for many guys in the BP  these days. Just because Thornton couldn't close has nothing to do with how Lopez will pan out. Hardly anyone is drafted as solely a relief pitcher.

If the Sox don't trade Hendriks then how do they climb out of the hole they are in ? They aren't spending money. That leaves trades. Hahn has said as much already . Hendriks on a .500 team is useless .

If you think the Sox can contend then they need a lot of help from 11 players who were either hurt or performed poorly last year. Then Hendriks has to do what he always does in his age 34 season.  If he gets injured  the Sox lose a guy who a lot of teams want right now.

To a contender  he may be the difference between a playoff team and a World Championship. If he gets injured he loses a lot of value.

There is no easy way out here.

So are you saying that any guy can close? What do the Sox do if Lopez comes in and shits the bed as a closer? 

3 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

So are you saying that any guy can close? What do the Sox do if Lopez comes in and shits the bed as a closer? 

Nope I'm saying that since Lopez pitched well last year he's the most likely guy to close over Graveman who had a bad 2nd half and doesn't seem to adjust well if his routine is messed with.

Sox have 2 choices on who would close for them if Hendriks is traded I picked the younger guy who had the better year who has good control.

If Lopez comes in a craps the bed at least they will have the players they got in trade and have money at the trade deadline or can use the money they saved to strengthen the BP behind Lopez. If Lopez fails then its Gravemans turn.

We can always create obstacles in our minds.

I can ask you what if questions too . What if those 11 guys keep getting injured and still suck. Then how does keeping Hendriks help the Sox ? What if Hendriks gets hurt ? June 15 2022 this was revealed :

Hendriks revealed on Wednesday, a day after going on the injured list, that he has had a torn UCL since 2008.

Forearm strains often raise red flags. They can be a precursor of more serious problems, including the need for Tommy John surgery to repair a torn UCL. But Hendriks said he is “not concerned with it long term at all.”

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nope I'm saying that since Lopez pitched well last year he's the most likely guy to close over Graveman who had a bad 2nd half and doesn't seem to adjust well if his routine is messed with.

Sox have 2 choices on who would close for them if Hendriks is traded I picked the younger guy who had the better year who has good control.

If Lopez comes in a craps the bed at least they will have the players they got in trade and have money at the trade deadline or can use the money they saved to strengthen the BP behind Lopez. If Lopez fails then its Gravemans turn.

I can ask you what if questions too . What if those 11 guys keep getting injured and still suck. Then how does keeping Hendriks help the Sox ? What if Hendriks gets hurt ? June 15 2022 this was revealed :

Hendriks revealed on Wednesday, a day after going on the injured list, that he has had a torn UCL since 2008.

Forearm strains often raise red flags. They can be a precursor of more serious problems, including the need for Tommy John surgery to repair a torn UCL. But Hendriks said he is “not concerned with it long term at all.”

I understand why the Sox would need to trade Hendricks if JR won't up the payroll. I just don't think it is a good idea. I also don't trust Rick Hahn to make a good trade. Hendricks value is also likely suppressed if he is as injured as you claim. Would he even pass a physical? 

10 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

I understand why the Sox would need to trade Hendricks if JR won't up the payroll. I just don't think it is a good idea. I also don't trust Rick Hahn to make a good trade. Hendricks value is also likely suppressed if he is as injured as you claim. Would he even pass a physical? 

Sure he would he's been pitching with it for14 years , but the question becomes as he ages will the damn break at some point ? Will he get more forearms strains  leading to him being out longer periods of time ?

We both don't trust Hahn to make good trades but  it's either that or go into the season counting on a bunch of guys rebounding from last year and without 2 needed OF's, LH, good defensive OF's or you're going to see Eloy in LF and Sheets in RF again. Eloy's chances of remaining healthy and finally fulfilling his vast potential does not get better with him in the OF nor does the Sox OF defense.

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

"We can always create obstacles in our minds."  That's a great line.  Fits well with almost every post on ST.

• Thanks 1

I think trading Hendriks will have a bad net result on the White Sox. He converted 37 of 41 save opportunities, and I just cant imagine Reylo being even close to that. Hendriks was a big reason last year's mess of a team managed to stay at .500. He locked s%*# down when it got to the 9th inning.

But I get it...our owner wants his bank account padded and they need to trim payroll.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I think trading Hendriks will have a bad net result on the White Sox. He converted 37 of 41 save opportunities, and I just cant imagine Reylo being even close to that. Hendriks was a big reason last year's mess of a team managed to stay at .500. He locked s%*# down when it got to the 9th inning.

But I get it...our owner wants his bank account padded and they need to trim payroll.

For a start the Sox would have to create 41 save opportunities!

18 hours ago, bryank1202 said:

This guy sucks under .200 hitter.  Probably get 10-12m negative war meanwhile abreu 3-5 War 18 million 

Jose Abreu and Joey Gallo's fWAR per game played are nearly identical. 

Joey Gallo is a very flawed player, but pointing to his batting average as the sole determining factor of his value is really, really dumb. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, Sarava said:

A bad net result ? It sounds like you are talking about just how the team does in the standings to me. I mean great if keeping Hendriks results in a .450 win percentage team and makes you a .500 team . How is that a good net result ? You do know the Sox not only still have major holes but will need so many positive results from so many guys that had negative results last year that playing any better than about .525 baseball will be extremely difficult now that the schedule is harder.

Meanwhile Hendrix inches closer to age deterioration and his arm might implode and then you net nothing from him. Trade him and gets some prospect and some payroll relief that can be reinvested in another player .That's a net positive beyond box scores and standings. You just cannot end up getting nothing for guys his age when they are still good enough to help the franchise recover from the disastrous series of decisions that lead  to the demise of the team from the start of 2021 til now.

However if Hahn does as good a job peddling Hendriks as he did peddling Kimbrel where the Sox end up trading him for one player with a  bigger contract I can understand your concern. The fact he couldn't trade Kimbrel early handicapped the whole off season.