Joey Gallo Rumor Thread

Chicago White Sox

How excited would you by his addition?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Select your excitement 1 to 10

59 minutes ago, Fielder Jones said:

Gallo wouldnt excite me like Conforto or Brantley but the thought process makes sense. Each year we need to cover some CF time. And Gallo would make it more likely Eloy can really settle in at DH a ton

And Gallo is healthier than some of these other options.

Gallo played 6 innings in CF in 2022. Before that he played 1 inning in 2020. In 2019 he played 310 innings in CF and that was when his sprint speed was 69.8 so faster than 70% of the players in baseball. In 2022 he was faster than only 46% of all players in baseball.

We saw Pollock in CF last year and he is faster than 60% of the players in baseball. This is on Baseball Savant. He should never play CF, But hey the Sox have put square pegs in round holes in the OF before. I'm sure he do fine but if you want a guy to flag down doubles and triples into the gap he's more likely to give up more of those hits than he is going to prevent them in CF.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Does anybody remember the White Sox commercial where he is doing the worm, and then Hawk says "and Swisher is doing the worm. I can't believe it!"

I wish I could find that commercial again. 

Haha, I had memory dumped that one.  I wish I had memory dumped every thing, but Joanna Garcia, about that guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

LMAO ....they are getting outbid even for a Plan D option. That's pretty pathetic even for this team.

If true, it’s embarrassing AF and we should be selling off everything because we can’t compete in the modern MLB environment with how the roster is currently constructed

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

If true, it’s embarrassing AF and we should be selling off everything because we can’t compete in the modern MLB environment with how the roster is currently constructed

I was thinking the same, but ultimately Jerry is still likely to still be around whenever rebuild 3.0 comes to an end. There are no good solutions for the Sox issues until there's new ownership in charge.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I was thinking the same, but ultimately Jerry is still likely to still be around whenever rebuild 3.0 comes to an end. There are no good solutions for the Sox issues until there's new ownership in charge.

Yup, may the baseball gods take mercy on our souls

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It really seems like they’re basically at their budget already. Just a gross misuse of funds and then pathetic approach by Jerry.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

It really seems like they’re basically at their budget already. Just a gross misuse of funds and then pathetic approach by Jerry.

Just nestling into that White Sox sweet spot of kinda sorta not really contending, but perhaps contending if every break goes their way. And then who’s laughing?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Glad Hahn felt compelled to do nothing but acquire Diekman at the deadline left year.  Definitely $4M well spent…FML.

That was an obvious in the moment mistake, but if 4M is seriously making the difference between an acquisition or not, we were already doomed to begin with.

• Like 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

That was an obvious in the moment mistake, but if 4M is seriously making the difference between an acquisition or not, we were already doomed to begin with.

True, but Hahn should have known better.  Diekman alone wasn’t making us a playoff team last year and he made the move anyways despite the fact it would eat away at the little money we’d have to play with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

True, but Hahn should have known better.  Diekman alone wasn’t making us a playoff team last year and he made the move anyways despite the fact it would eat away at the little money we’d have to play with.

But Max is also right…it just doesn’t matter. A Jake Diekmam there, and Leury Garcia here…yes they are bad and short-sighted moves, but when teams like the Mets, Yankees, Phillies, Astros etc are making moves like they are, what are we talking about? 

I know it’s not fun to just throw your hands up and say “it is what it is” but that’s where we are at. The team was a total flop last year and objectively by any metric you want to use, the roster is in worse shape than it was during the 2022 season and they have shown NO indication they have any interest in making it better. The organization has 0 interest in trying to win. They’ll pat themselves on the back if they somehow dust off the 2005 horseshoe they found and get incredibly lucky in 2023, but aside from blind luck, the White Sox are no where close to any sort of contender for a World Series. That’s clearly not the goal of the organization, and they’ve done everything to show us that without actually saying it. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, fathom said:

I don’t think their starting left fielder is on the roster yet. They’ll add someone. I just don’t know what else they’ll do 

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Then we definitely won't be able to compete. Might as well leave the roster as talented as it can be  , take your chances on Lopez as a closer star getting some new blood for the team in a position of need.

It won't guarantee  the World Series but neither will fantasizing about Gallo finding 4 War again when he's just not the same hitter or fielder that he was.