Joey Gallo Rumor Thread

Chicago White Sox

How excited would you by his addition?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Select your excitement 1 to 10

1 hour ago, wegner said:

"My Era too".......

swish.jpg

I appreciate your humor and sarcasm, but sadly it's a nightmare trip down "memory lane" and reminding us what a POS loser Kenny Williams was and still is. One of Kenny's many genius moves in trading trading away Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney to the A's for Nick Swisher. 

To this day still considered one of the 5 worst trades in White Sox history. 

I cannot wait until this JR, KW and RH nightmare is gone!

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, black jack said:

Offensively, probably.  

The defense should be solid though.  Can't expect a complete player when you shop at Aldi. 

As previously noted, his defense and sprint speed stats are now below average.  At his peak, he got on base and hit with power and he is no longer doing either.  He is aging poorly and may have gone off the cliff.  He hit .160 and his walk rate got worse while his always high k rate also got worse.  The difference in his k/w rates usually was around 22-23%(k37-w15).  Last year his k was 41.6% and walks dropped to 11.7%  I am not aware of an injury that he may recover from.  I checked his splits and his OPS vs lefties is unplayable at .436.  Against RHP his ops was .690.  I was looking further and saw against power pitchers he hit .059!!!!!  It is a one year sample and nebulous how they pick the pitchers but what the heck.  Is it a sign he is aging poorly?  He looks like a player in severe decline who should only platoon.  I would not pay anything near 10-12 million for him.  One million with heavy incentives only if my hitting coaches see something they think they can fix.  He should be begging teams.  

The similar bat profile for him in 2022 was Trayce Thompson, Aquino, 2020 Gary Sanchez, and Patrick Wisdom. 

Imagine the Sox signed any of those guys at 1yr and 10mm or whatever the number turns out to be. 

I rest my case your honor. 

37 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I appreciate your humor and sarcasm, but sadly it's a nightmare trip down "memory lane" and reminding us what a POS loser Kenny Williams was and still is. One of Kenny's many genius moves in trading trading away Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney to the A's for Nick Swisher. 

I do apologize for the harm I may have caused by reminding anyone of possibly the most despised White Sox player in recent history.....if 2008 is recent....damn I feel old.

I went over Gallo's line drives/grounders last year that had a xBA of .500 or more that ended up being outs . I found 5 outs that probably will be hits with the exaggerated shift being banned. 

That would improve his .160/.280/.357 slash line from last year to .174/.293/.371. The shift alone isn't gonna save Gallo. 

I also found out that Max Kepler would have had an extra 11 hits without the exaggerated shift. 

That would have improved his line from .227/.318/.348 to .255/.344/.376. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I went over Gallo's line drives/grounders last year that had a xBA of .500 or more that ended up being outs . I found 5 outs that probably will be hits with the exaggerated shift being banned. 

That would improve his .160/.280/.357 slash line from last year to .174/.293/.371. The shift alone isn't gonna save Gallo. 

I also found out that Max Kepler would have had an extra 11 hits without the exaggerated shift. 

Kepler is definitely a better fit Gallo. Problem is that he isn’t a FA and the Twins aren’t gonna hand him to their division rival without an overpay. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Don't forget the Shark trade.

Sox should never ever trade with Oakland.

3 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Just a point of order:  that's nowhere near one of the 5 worst trades in Sox history.  Probably not even in the top 10 worst trades this century.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

As previously noted, his defense and sprint speed stats are now below average.  At his peak, he got on base and hit with power and he is no longer doing either.  He is aging poorly and may have gone off the cliff.  He hit .160 and his walk rate got worse while his always high k rate also got worse.  The difference in his k/w rates usually was around 22-23%(k37-w15).  Last year his k was 41.6% and walks dropped to 11.7%  I am not aware of an injury that he may recover from.  I checked his splits and his OPS vs lefties is unplayable at .436.  Against RHP his ops was .690.  I was looking further and saw against power pitchers he hit .059!!!!!  It is a one year sample and nebulous how they pick the pitchers but what the heck.  Is it a sign he is aging poorly?  He looks like a player in severe decline who should only platoon.  I would not pay anything near 10-12 million for him.  One million with heavy incentives only if my hitting coaches see something they think they can fix.  He should be begging teams.  

I stand corrected.  Aldi has some quality produce and frozen pizza.  Jerry is shopping out of Aldi's dumpster out back.  

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 10:50 AM, The Kids Can Play said:

There was also the Shark trade.  Never trade with Oakland, 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 3:29 PM, chw42 said:

Kepler's OBP would be solid without the shift but his SLG would still suck. I'd rather have his adjusted numbers and ++ defense than Gallo if it's between them but MIN won't give him away to us. 

12 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Kepler's OBP would be solid without the shift but his SLG would still suck. I'd rather have his adjusted numbers and ++ defense than Gallo if it's between them but MIN won't give him away to us. 

With those numbers and his defense Kepler is easily a 3 WAR player. And that's if he doesn't get his power back. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

With those numbers and his defense Kepler is easily a 3 WAR player. And that's if he doesn't get his power back. 

Honestly, I'd do the Kepler trade for someone like ReyLo since the value is similar assuming it's TA or Giolito that's moved and not Hendriks. I don't think the pen would be in good shape without both LH and RL but we will be relatively ok without one of them. 

17 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Of the names we have seen mentioned...Kepler is still my #1 favorite.  Does lots of things this team needs.

29 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Honestly, I'd do the Kepler trade for someone like ReyLo since the value is similar assuming it's TA or Giolito that's moved and not Hendriks. I don't think the pen would be in good shape without both LH and RL but we will be relatively ok without one of them. 

Kepler for ReyLo should put Hahn up against a firing squad. That would be highway robbery. Kepler is trash. If the Sox traded any major league pieces for him it should be equal trash, like Diekman or Kelly.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I absolutely do that trade too

• Like 1
  • TLR 1