Merkin: Colas figures to be Sox 2023 RF

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Who penciled him as the opening day RF 4 months ago? I said he’d be up in early May and was told no way he’d be ready by then.

FYI, this doesn't say "Opening Day RF."

And most of us have said early May, sometime after they get the extra year of control. You might be talking about arguing with like, one person.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Huh? The position they have to fill voa trade or FA is an OF. They can go internal at 2B. Nothing you’re saying is making any sense. Everyone was penciling Colas into their 2023 OFs, what people were likely telling you is that he’s unlikely to break camp with the Sox. He still shouldn’t, but feels more likely now than ever. Sox should really sign someone like Conforto + someone like Frazier who can play OF for a few weeks until Colas arrives.  

They can go internal for outfield too but it doesn’t mean they should. How much do you think Conforto is going to sign for and how much more do you think they will spend? You might want to revisit the Conforto thread from last summer as a refresher on this entire Conforto/Colas discussion.

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

FYI, this doesn't say "Opening Day RF."

And most of us have said early May, sometime after they get the extra year of control. You might be talking about arguing with like, one person.

Maybe they’ve been saying it now but they weren’t saying it last summer. Again, review the Conforto thread from last summer.

As far as opening day RF, if not Colas then who?

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm beginning to think they're doing absolutely nothing. They're going to run Sheets and Leury in LF and go internal at 2B. 

I think they’ll sign a garbage bin vet like Naquin but if people are expecting much more than that they’re setting themselves up for disappointment. Outfield options will be cheap vet, Robert, Colas, Garcia, Reyes, and Sheets/Eloy in a pinch. It’s also possible they don’t sign a veteran outfielder at all and just roll with the rest of those guys plus a near MLB ready minor leaguer like Cespedes.

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

what other positions do they have to fill? 2B can be in-grown.  No bullpen please god. No utilities please god.  SP minor depth would be nice.  Literally throw all our money at a LH OF.

Yeah unless they trade Hendriks and need to sign another reliever for bullpen depth, the only place they can really spend is in the OF. Rotation depth can come from minor league signings and we'll have a 2B out of Romy, Sosa, Rodriguez. 

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Maybe they’ve been saying it now but they weren’t saying it last summer. Again, review the Conforto thread from last summer.

As far as opening day RF, if not Colas then who?

One corner will be the primary LH OF addition, whether that is via FA or trade.  Conforto still feels possible, but sadly perhaps out of the Sox price range. 

The other corner will likely be scrap heap signing like Adam Frazier with some Sheets/Leury sprinkled in.  Once Colas arrives a few weeks into the season, he takes over a corner (might be left depending on who is acquired for the other corner) and Frazier/scrapheap signing shifts to 2B rotation and OF reserve.  

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm beginning to think they're doing absolutely nothing. They're going to run Sheets and Leury in LF and go internal at 2B. 

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think they’ll sign a garbage bin vet like Naquin but if people are expecting much more than that they’re setting themselves up for disappointment. Outfield options will be cheap vet, Robert, Colas, Garcia, Reyes, and Sheets/Eloy in a pinch. It’s also possible they don’t sign a veteran outfielder at all and just roll with the rest of those guys plus a near MLB ready minor leaguer like Cespedes.

This is exactly were I'm at with them. Hahn is like a puppy that just got his balls snipped by JR. He's far too timid and incompetent to make a meaningful trade or shake it up. We're going to get the classic "we aren't going to force a deal to make a deal" BS lingo.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They absolutely can be that stupid. You're talking about the same franchise that ran 3 1B/DH types in the corner OF last year. 

There was a game in 2021 where Abreu, Vaughn, and Sheets were all in the same lineup…

And none of the three were playing first base. If that’s not the most ridiculous White Sox thing ever, I don’t know what is. I’m actually laughing out loud while typing this. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

One corner will be the primary LH OF addition, whether that is via FA or trade.  Conforto still feels possible, but sadly perhaps out of the Sox price range. 

The other corner will likely be scrap heap signing like Adam Frazier with some Sheets/Leury sprinkled in.  Once Colas arrives a few weeks into the season, he takes over a corner (might be left depending on who is acquired for the other corner) and Frazier/scrapheap signing shifts to 2B rotation and OF reserve.  

With the new union rules regarding service time manipulation, I could see the Sox penciling in Colas from day one and they should if they’re serious about winning in 2023.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

What kind of numbers are we expecting from this kid next year? He has less than 250 at bats above A ball. 

.200, .235, .375 with average to above average defense. Soxtalk will say hes a bust but will ignore the fact he has 0 minor league seasoning like all of our other prospects.

3 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

.200, .235, .375 with average to above average defense. Soxtalk will say hes a bust but will ignore the fact he has 0 minor league seasoning like all of our other prospects.

Looks about right and makes him the second best outfield option on the roster (assuming Eloy is primarily a DH)

54 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I’m not saying it equates to AA or anything, but I don’t think you can discount his time in Japan either. At worst I think flying across the world to play in a foreign country at least built some maturity. I don’t doubt there will be some growing plans like anyone else, but I wouldn’t consider Colas a typical raw prospect without experience.