Interesting idea

whitesox61382

Gammons just said that Johnson and Soriano will probably not be back in NY next year. I would love to see the Sox go after either of these guys, especially Johnson. I think Johnson is a future star and would be a great CHEAP replacement if Thomas and/or Konerko are gone. If the Sox are going to trade Maggs, than Johnson and a good prospect or two would be an interesting idea. What do you guys think.

Gammons just said that Johnson and Soriano will probably not be back in NY next year. I would love to see the Sox go after either of these guys, especially Johnson. I think Johnson is a future star and would be a great CHEAP replacement if Thomas and/or Konerko are gone. If the Sox are going to trade Maggs, than Johnson and a good prospect or two would be an interesting idea. What do you guys think.

As long as Weaver is not included in any trade with NY.

I'm thinking a Soriano/Johnson for Konerko/Magglio type deal could be rather intriguing for the Yanks and Sox. I think the Sox would likely have to add a prospect (Maybe Jon Rauch or someone like Aaron Miles; nothing great), but I think it would be a very good deal for both teams.

I'm thinking a Soriano/Johnson for Konerko/Magglio type deal could be rather intriguing for the Yanks and Sox.  I think the Sox would likely have to add a prospect (Maybe Jon Rauch or someone like Aaron Miles; nothing great), but I think it would be a very good deal for both teams.

There's no way the Yanks do that deal in my opinion.

Even though Soriano struggled mightily down the stretch, I still say he's got more value than Mags.

And Johnson is a lot cheaper and perhaps even a better player at this point than PK.

As long as Weaver is not included in any trade with NY.

I think Johnson is overrated and Fonzie looked like a fool in the playoffs. I think these guys are pretty overhyped and wouldn't like either of them for Maggs. I could see Konerko for Nick Johnson. For Maggs...Soriano and Weaver. Sorry I haven't given up on Weaver just yet.

These movesd and resign Colon and I have faith.

Even though Soriano struggled mightily down the stretch, I still say he's got more value than Mags.

And Johnson is a lot cheaper and perhaps even a better player at this point than PK.

Reports are the Yanks are ticked off at Soriano because he is completely in a fog when he's out on the field. Not saying its a good thing to have a player thats in the fog playing for us, but I won't deny his numbers and if he's doing that lost, just think what would happen if someone would straighten him out.

Reports are the Yanks are ticked off at Soriano because he is completely in a fog when he's out on the field. Not saying its a good thing to have a player thats in the fog playing for us, but I won't deny his numbers and if he's doing that lost, just think what would happen if someone would straighten him out.

You have to remember that he's still very young and his numbers the past 2 seasons are downright nasty. He reminds me of a young Vlady at the plate.

I think giving up on him at this point could be a big mistake for the Yankees, but maybe they really do want to pursue Castillo.

If the Yankees offered Soriano for Maggs, I'd probably do it if I was KW.

You'd cut major payroll, have flexibility to sign a good pitcher and a OF and overall I think the team would improve.

I think it's only a matter of time before Soriano becomes a major star, if he's not one already.

"I think Johnson is overrated"

You might be the only person in the world that thinks this. The guy posted a .894 OPS this past year in only his second full year(higher then everyone except Maggs and Thomas on the Sox). His plate disipline is amazing, he has good pop, has shown the ability to hit for average, is a pretty solid defensive 1B, and is a decent athlete. This guy is far from overrated. He reminds me a little of a left handed version of a young Thomas. This guy is going to be a great player in this league, and is probably better then Konerko even if he gets back to his old ways.

"I could see Konerko for Nick Johnson."

There is no way that they do a deal like this. Johnson is better, cheaper, and younger. You are really underexagerating Johnson's value.

I wouldnt mind seeing Soriano in a Sox uniform, they could definately use his speed on the basepaths, and even if his fielding is shodder he cant be too much worse than Ray Durham or Jose Valentin. Plus he still has more potential to live up to, this kid may become a lot better than we know him to be now.

I would LOVE to see the sox get Johnson.

I have seen this guy a lot this year, and he is a gamer. He wore down in september and october but he had a great spring/summer. He is a natural hitter and will consistently hit .330-25-100 when he settles in, and his obp will probably hover around .400%. He is a great lefty hitter, and getting him would be awesome.

Johnson is better and worth a hell of a lot more than Soriano.

Soriano is the goat of the tri-state area right now. He played poorly down the stretch and struggled in the playoffs. Not to mention he swings for the fences every at bat. He is athletic and has a s*** load of talent. But he just isn't the kind of player the Sox should be looking for. Soriano is better off with a team like the Yankees.

All the talk so far has Soriano headed to KC for Beltran. So Magglio for Soriano would be even to me.

I would vomit if the sox made that deal. It would be a whole lot easier to just sign Jose Cruz Jr., because in the end he will put up the same numbers as Soriano.

Soriano has totally lost the 'magic' of his 2002 season. Granted he still has a lot of raw talent and raw ability, he just is not as good as people suggest he is.

1. Magglio would be a good fit with the yankees. They badly need a right fielder (and a center fielder as well).

2. Johnson is a very good player, but there are three major problems with him.

A. he is frequently hurt, usually with hand or wrist problems; B) he doesn't have a lot of power for a corner infielder and C) he's not in great shape and looks like a guy who will put on weight easily.

That said, he is a good fielder, good hitter and a guy with great command of the strike zone. Not against going after him, but I AM against overvaluing him.

Soriano would be a great get for the Sox. Last year some people thought he was the best player in the league, nearly a 40-40 man. He plays in New York, sucked in the post-season and now it's cool to dog him.

I'd love to see the Sox get him. He'd probably have to move to the outfield eventually, but the guy has the ability to be a great offensive player.

3. i'd stay away from Weaver. He might have a good arm, but he's a head whom the Tigers couldn't wait to dump even though they have NO pitchers.

To be honest I don't want to see the Sox make this trade.

Sure Soriano has a ton of potential, but he strikes out WAAYYYY too much to be our lead-off guy. If someone can help him cut down his swing than maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Nick Johnson has had his moments, however I think he is an overhyped first baseman.

As for Jeff Weaver, he's a f***in crybaby. All he does is b**** and moan, and he's really sucked big time in New York.

So :fyou Jeff Weaver.

CWSOX45

All the talk so far has Soriano headed to KC for Beltran. So Magglio for Soriano would be even to me.

I would vomit if the sox made that deal. It would be a whole lot easier to just sign Jose Cruz Jr., because in the end he will put up the same numbers as Soriano.

Soriano has totally lost the 'magic' of his 2002 season. Granted he still has a lot of raw talent and raw ability, he just is not as good as people suggest he is.

1549, I would have to disagree with your assessment of Soriano.

The guy is 25 yrs old.

And you say that Cruz Jr would put up the same numbers as Soriano, but the stats say otherwise.

Soriano in 2003 hit .290, which I believe is better than anyone on the Sox besides Maggs and Lee, hit 38 HR, which would rank 2nd on the Sox and drove in 91 runs, primarily from the leadoff spot. He also stole 35 bases, which would have easily led the Sox.

Besides Pujols and Cabrera, I see him as one of the brighest young stars in baseball.

I heard a rumor of Soriano and Nick Johnson for Jose Vidro and Javier Vasquez from the Expos. No way Yanks do da Konerko for Johnson deal though unless we sweeten da deal for em.

Only way I see it happening is by including Maggs and a prospect in the deal and you get Soriano, and Johnson and I would take the two of them. They would both be cheap for quite a while and would give the Sox some talent at two positions they could use it. Thomas can then stick around if he wants to, since most likely he will and the Sox can really keep their salary at a much better level.

Like I said for them to take Konerko their has to be something worth while to them and I wouldn't mind giving them a prospect or something along those lines.

Soriano wouldn't leadoff for the Sox. He would be the 2 hole hitter and the Sox would ask someone like Harris to leadoff or they could find a shortstop to make their leadoff hitter.

My lineup

Trade/FA - ss

Soriano

Carlos Lee - LF

Big Hurt - DH

Nick Johnson - 1st

Joe Crede - 3rd

Find an outfielder; there will be plenty out there thats decent; this is who will play right

Harris/Rowand/Reed

C - Olivo

The lineup isn't the greatest out there, but with a solid leadoff hitter, Soriano, Lee, Hurt, Johnson, Crede and a solid outfielder pick up it would be pretty damn good and very young. Thomas would be the only one pulling in major bucks at least for the time being.

Then the Sox can spend money on the pen and bringing Colon back. I'd really LOVE this deal.

Damn....that would be a killer trade if we could do it. I believe the Yanks have had interest in Maggs before, and I'm sure if we gave them a pretty good prospect we could get them to take on Konerko too.

If we could do a Maggs and Konerko for Soriano, Johnson, and Weaver deal(because we have to take on one bad contract), I'd do it in a heartbeat. And then I'd either trade Weaver for whatever we could get, or I'd just flat out dump his ass.

This is me going crazy again....but what if we gave up one of our top 5 prospects to them and then did not have to take Weaver on? Not sure who our top 5 would be, but IMO, it would be a good move. We get two relatively cheap bats for the lineup, improve the team, and we don't have to take on any bad contracts. Prospects can always be replaced. Success cannot always be. For example, if we gave them Jeremy Reed, and he was a .320 30 120 player in the future, we could always find someone to replace him....he may not be quite as good, he may cost a little more....but we can get him replaced somehow, someway. Also....with the draft we had this past year, we strengthened our farm system quite a bit, especially in the OF. We still have Borchard in the high levels, and we have Anderson, Sweeney, Nanita, Valido(I know one of those is a SS, just not sure which), and then there are always going to be guys like Reggie Sanders, Jose Cruz Jr, Kenny Lofton, etc, who can be brought in cheaply and will put up relatively decent numbers.

Maybe I'm the only person on here that would be crazy enough to do it, but if a Maggs, Konerko, and Reed for Soriano and Johnson trade came up, I would do it in a heartbeat. If it is Honel, Cotts, or some other pitcher, I'd have to think about it. But if it were one of our top hitting prospects....it would be a done deal.

Reports are the Yanks are ticked off at Soriano because he is completely in a fog when he's out on the field.

Hell, if that's the case, he's already light years ahead of half the Sox team.

I once suggested a Maggs/Konerko/prospect deal for Weaver/Johnson. It was a disaster and no one liked it. But Maggs/Konerko for Johnson/Soriano would certainly raise some eyebrows.

I don't want Weaver anymore. He has shown that he has no sack. If you can't handle the big pressure (and he hasn't) - I don't want you on my team. Rot in New York, jerk. Soriano would be a great 2b OR CF for us. I mean, he's no Ray Durham, but hey. :bang :lol:

I like that Deal, But we still would need a Leadoff Guy. Soriano for me would play CF and Bat 5th. I would like Renteria or Tejada at short, but the money I would Use for Pitching unless El Cheapo would open up the Checkbook a littler

I like this Line Up.

Alomar 2B

Reed RF

Thomas DH

Tejada SS

Soriano CF

Lee LF

Johnson 1B

Crede 3B

Olivo C

Or if Soriano Would Play Second this is not bad

Soriano 2B

Reed CF

Thomas DH

Ibañez RF

Lee LF

Johnson 1B

Crede 3B

??? SS

Olivo C

To start with, the Yanks are moving Johnson to make room for Bernie Williams as DH, with Giambi playing 1B. So there is no logical reason for them to take on Konerko. From the Yankees point of view, it make no sense whatsoever.

Trading Maggs for Soriano would be difficult for me to do. I'm not sure Soriano is going to keep putting the numbers he has. I think he'll backslide some, and settle in at that level. Just call that a hunch. Trading Maggs, though, does open up the payroll situation. What scares me though, is if the Yanks offer Siriano and Weaver for Maggs and a prospect, I think KW will jump on it. I don't want to see that head case in a Sox uniform.

From Ron Rapoport's column in the Sun times:

Ah, but here's the upside of being a Yankees fan. Talk of acquiring Gary Sheffield on the free-agent market. And Vladimir Guerrero. And Bartolo Colon. And Greg Maddux. Or how about the rumor making the rounds that has them offering Soriano to the White Sox for Magglio Ordonez? Think of it. A radically different team to replace the hapless mopes who won their division by six games. An entirely new cast of All-Stars to castigate if the Yankees don't win the World Series next year.