2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

On 2/19/2023 at 7:28 PM, Chick Mercedes said:

Well, the only running Giolito has to worry about is to cover first base. History is replete with good, yet fat pitchers. Outfielders,  not so much. This is a stretch, if you will.

You can’t take one or two guys, Bartolo Colon and David Wells come to mind, and say, “see, it’s no problem being fat and a good pitcher”.

That is anecdotal evidence at best. The reality is these guys, 1-9 are professional athletes and while at some positions it’s ok to have a little extra weight due the the nature of the position, I’ll take someone who keeps their weight under control any day of the week. Nobody will ever perform at their best when carrying bad weight, even those who’s position requires less quick twitch athleticism  

5 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Doesn't look that long from that angle to me. 

I watched it like 100 times and I went back and forth but to me he seems to drop his hands before he loads. Of course there's a million other variables that matter otherwise Vaughn would hit 400. If his bat speed and pitch recognition are above average he'll hit plenty. 

48 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I watched it like 100 times and I went back and forth but to me he seems to drop his hands before he loads. Of course there's a million other variables that matter otherwise Vaughn would hit 400. If his bat speed and pitch recognition are above average he'll hit plenty. 

Normal for any adjustment on a slider, but especially on a slower curveball when he's reacting FB first and then dropping his hands...that hitch or load.

With Burger, they always referred to it as a T-bar swing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Normal for any adjustment on a slider, but especially on a slower curveball when he's reacting FB first and then dropping his hands...that hitch or load.

With Burger, they always referred to it as a T-bar swing.

Yea for sure. As I said, there's a million other things that go into making consistent contact other than just a perfect hands to ball mechanism. I'll say in that swing he does a great job keeping his lower body coiled on off speed and not flying open.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I like the kid already. C’mon Seby. Give the kid a good number. 

Also- White Sox, update your roster pages including the coaches for the new uni numbers. Katz gave up 52 for Clevinger. Hope he gets it back.

Edited by flavum

On 2/20/2023 at 2:44 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

That is a looooooooooooooooooooooong swing from Colas. Hopefully he can generate enough power to make up for swing and miss issues.

He's supposed to have a very quick bat. I mean if it was that long you'd think someone could have exploited it especially lefties but his minor league numbers as far as batting average, slugging and OPS were actually better against LHP. A lot less AB's of course which is always the case but it was over 100 and over 400 vs. RHP. Really seems to have a good idea how to hit against both handed pitchers. He just has to be more selective .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

i"m loving this ST. With all the BS surrounding TLR , Covid, the strike, shortened season it seems like its been a long time since we've had a normal uplifting spring, outside of the Clevinger and Hendriks stories.

An uplifting spring was seeing Jose Abreu and Adam Eaton freshly minted. I mean, didn't work out well but I'm not seeing much "uplifting" news around our guys right now. 

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

An uplifting spring was seeing Jose Abreu and Adam Eaton freshly minted. I mean, didn't work out well but I'm not seeing much "uplifting" news around our guys right now. 

Well everyone is healthy, Eloy and Gio both realized they were carrying too much weight. All the podcasts seem to like the Andrus signing. People are looking forward to seeing Colas play. Grifol is imparting a one step at a time mentality while stressing fundamentals and hard work from the get go. Guys are going off to play in the WBC which should be exciting.

I'm pretty stoked which is what spring is for. It may all crash and burn but for now I'm good. I've lived through plenty of disappointing seasons but it hasn't stopped me from being enthusiastic when, for a brief moment, things are looking up. I just try real hard to keep my mind off the incompetency of the FO and owner and focus on the players.

It's fun to imagine guys like Eloy and Robert actually having real good years at the same time which has never happened. The top 4 in the rotation seems real solid.We should actually be better against LHP if Benintendi and Colas do well and Moncada and Grandal can't be any worse than they were last year. Defense should be better too ,without 1st basemen or Eloy in the OF as much.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With the articles out there, the Sox are either trying to make a deal for RF, or they are really trying to hype up handing the job to Colas.

Yep, they're making it really hard to send him back down to "work on his defense" for a few weeks a la Kris Bryant without a grievance. They must know what they're doing (I hope). 

22 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Yep, they're making it really hard to send him back down to "work on his defense" for a few weeks a la Kris Bryant without a grievance. They must know what they're doing (I hope). 

Regardless how they feel about team control, they need to take one for the fans here and do something positive. Read the room guys

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Colas has 1 season in the minor leagues, is a borderline top 100 prospect and there are plenty of things in his 1 minor league season that are cause or concern / reason to not hand him an everyday big league job in a month.  He has absolutely zero grounds for a grievance whatsoever if the Sox send him to AAA to start the season. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Colas has 1 season in the minor leagues, is a borderline top 100 prospect and there are plenty of things in his 1 minor league season that are cause or concern / reason to not hand him an everyday big league job in a month.  He has absolutely zero grounds for a grievance whatsoever if the Sox send him to AAA to start the season. 

All of those things can be true. But when the club is actively saying how great he's preparing, he's got a great eye for, ready to compete for the OD job, and just overall pumping his tires, it looks pretty suspect if we then send him down for the minimum time to retain that extra year of service.

If he doesn't break camp with the team and stays down through July, that's different. But the way the team is making it sound, he's going to be the RFer sooner rather than later, and keeping him down for service time reasons is going to be pretty transparent.

9 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

All of those things can be true. But when the club is actively saying how great he's preparing, he's got a great eye for, ready to compete for the OD job, and just overall pumping his tires, it looks pretty suspect if we then send him down for the minimum time to retain that extra year of service.

If he doesn't break camp with the team and stays down through July, that's different. But the way the team is making it sound, he's going to be the RFer sooner rather than later, and keeping him down for service time reasons is going to be pretty transparent.

It is well within the Sox rights to send him down to AAA.  There is no grounds for a grievance just because of some spring training puff pieces talking up their closest the big leagues prospect of note.  Its silly. 

Edited by ChiSox59