2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I had to read that first sentence at least five times because I thought it was closer (distance) and not closer (pitcher). 

What? He wants a seat closer to the field in the dugout? What are talking about here?

I am so smart. S-M-R-T.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yoan isn't done getting paid means we're going to get good Yoan the next 2 years.  Same goes for TA.  

I know people think they got lazy after they got paid, but despite that thought, anyone with baseball IQ realizes that it is their NEXT contract that gives them multigenerational wealth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Sure it’s a fluff tweet, but it makes me wonder if or to what level Moncada just didn’t click with the previous regime.  Either way I like that he’s in camp working already, even if it’s prep for the WBC. 

Could also just be maturing as professional and learning from prior offseasons. Regardless, Moncada, like half a dozen other guys or so, is purely in "show me" mode at this point in their career. Nothing will matter except their stats at end of the season.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know people think they got lazy after they got paid, but despite that thought, anyone with baseball IQ realizes that it is their NEXT contract that gives them multigenerational wealth.

Moncada has signed over $100M in guaranteed contracts..

Edited by Jack Parkman

57 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because no one is signing $300 million deals these days 

Or because of his original Red Sox contract and Hahn extension specials.

He's got to have two consecutive 2019 seasons to get to $175 million-ish....and he could ride those coattails of being the former #1 prospect in the game.

Chaos in the Central divisions

Then there are the divisions stuck in the middle. The AL and NL Central are basically toss-ups by PECOTA’s estimation. The defending champion Cleveland Guardians and the Minnesota Twins (once again featuring Carlos Correa) are projected within one win of each other, with 49% division odds to 47.1%.

In the NL, most prognosticators (and projection systems) view the St. Louis Cardinals as the favorites. But PECOTA has the Milwaukee Brewers very much in the thick of the race and in fact a slightly better bet to win the division. In particular, the system foresees big things ahead for scrap-heap pickup Jesse Winker and young pitcher Aaron Ashby. The Cardinals — who are used to topping expectations — won’t be cowed by this. But their pitching staff has some serious health- and age-inflected questions.

https://sports.yahoo.com/9-intriguing-takeaways-from-2023-mlb-projections-are-we-underestimating-the-dodgers-and-yankees-003724974.html

Can we finally trade for Corbin Burnes after that particularly contentious arbitration hearing?

9 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Could also just be maturing as professional and learning from prior offseasons. Regardless, Moncada, like half a dozen other guys or so, is purely in "show me" mode at this point in their career. Nothing will matter except their stats at end of the season.

Whilst it is good to hear that he is being more professional this off-season it just highlights how even after 7 years (and lots of wages) at the White Sox he is only just being more professional. Also most of what he says he is doing aren't 'more professional' they are just simply acting like a professional.

Equally it highlights how poor the Sox trainers have been that after 7 years he is only just beginning to act like a professional.

14 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Sure it’s a fluff tweet, but it makes me wonder if or to what level Moncada just didn’t click with the previous regime.  Either way I like that he’s in camp working already, even if it’s prep for the WBC. 

It's hard to believe any player clicked with the previous regime.  I'm looking forward to see how the new regime has an effect on this team.

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Or because of his original Red Sox contract and Hahn extension specials.

He's got to have two consecutive 2019 seasons to get to $175 million-ish....and he could ride those coattails of being the former #1 prospect in the game.

Chaos in the Central divisions

Then there are the divisions stuck in the middle. The AL and NL Central are basically toss-ups by PECOTA’s estimation. The defending champion Cleveland Guardians and the Minnesota Twins (once again featuring Carlos Correa) are projected within one win of each other, with 49% division odds to 47.1%.

In the NL, most prognosticators (and projection systems) view the St. Louis Cardinals as the favorites. But PECOTA has the Milwaukee Brewers very much in the thick of the race and in fact a slightly better bet to win the division. In particular, the system foresees big things ahead for scrap-heap pickup Jesse Winker and young pitcher Aaron Ashby. The Cardinals — who are used to topping expectations — won’t be cowed by this. But their pitching staff has some serious health- and age-inflected questions.

https://sports.yahoo.com/9-intriguing-takeaways-from-2023-mlb-projections-are-we-underestimating-the-dodgers-and-yankees-003724974.html

Can we finally trade for Corbin Burnes after that particularly contentious arbitration hearing?

Stop quoting entire articles and think about this for a second.  By the time he paid a smuggler, an agent, and taxes, how much of that original deal do you really think was left?  Even the Chicago extension has paid him something like $25 million before taxes and agents so far, with just over $40 million left that is promised. 

His real powerball moment happens if he plays like 2019 and gets his $300 million contract.  If he doesn't the money train derails after 2 more years.

• Like 2

I saw a story about Corbin Burnes not being too happy with the Brewers and how his arbitration hearing went.  He thought some things didn't need to be said in the hearing, particularly with the Brewers blaming him for the team not making the playoffs last season.  Now if Milwaukee wants us to take him off their hands, I am sure Pedro could use him in some capacity.

Oops I see that @caulfield12 already covered this....my apologies.

Edited by wegner
Note to self...Read overnight posts before posting breaking news in the future.

21 minutes ago, wegner said:

I saw a story about Corbin Burnes not being too happy with the Brewers and how his arbitration hearing went.  He thought some things didn't need to be said in the hearing, particularly with the Brewers blaming him for the team not making the playoffs last season.  Now if Milwaukee wants us to take him off their hands, I am sure Pedro could use him in some capacity.

Oops I see that @caulfield12 already covered this....my apologies.

Come to the Sox, where we don’t …um… treat our personnel to brutal contract negotiations

• Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Come to the Sox, where we don’t …um… treat our personnel to brutal contract negotiations

I believe the argument against Giolito would have been that he was the reason they lost in the playoffs, not that he didn't help them get there.

2021 season argument of course, not 2000 where he looked like an absolute Ace against Oakland.

9 minutes ago, wegner said:

I believe the argument against Giolito would have been that he was the reason they lost in the playoffs, not that he didn't help them get there.

2021 season argument of course, not 2000 where he looked like an absolute Ace against Oakland.

Was more of a benetti joke