2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

On 2/18/2023 at 4:25 PM, Chick Mercedes said:

Along the lines of massive weight loss however, what made Eloy think he can play 25-30 lbs overweight? Inquiring minds want to know how you can hope  compete for an outfielder job like that? A real organization is trading off mental weakness from the roster. It should not take your job getting populated by outsourced talent before you look into the mirror and self evaluate how your career is going.  

Athletic training is such a minefield. Somewhere some trainer has to step up and say "do not weight train to the point that you're adding 20+ pounds. If you are a pitcher you can maybe experiment with adding close to 10 lbs to your legs or lower body to improve your drive off the mound. A real baseball trainer can't just be  about the proper way to lift weights. They have to understand whats best for each position on the field , each players physiology and health history and the after effects of Covid and tailor the needs of the player accordingly. The really need to be experts in quite a few fields along with acute knowledge of baseball.

If you are a hitter perhaps a 5-10 lbs to your upper body but wrists are so important you don't really have to add much weight because how much weight can you really put on your forearms and keeping your wrists strong ? Now I'm not an expert in these things by any stretch of the imagination. But when you finish growing and are in your physical prime generally from 18 to mid to late 20's years old , the weight you are in those years is generally the weight you should maintain where you are at your most athletic self generally .Obviously the maturation of your body may add some pounds but it's up to you to distribute it where you need it as well as where your genetics put it. Strength and weight gain without maintaining flexibility, quickness, speed and athleticism and putting it where it should be can be more of a detriment than a help. Diet and stamina training, expanding your lungs by running or lower impact stamina training like life cycles will help too.

But this thing about just gaining muscle all over is not for baseball players which is a finesse sport. Legs and core most important. Flexibility in your legs and back and a strong stomach should prevent a lot of pulled leg muscles but again if you have any unnatural curvature of your spine like scoliosis it's even more important to keep your core strong. A trainer should know all of these things about a player he is training. One size does not fit all.

Even a smart guy like Giolito who is always looking for ways to get better somehow was misinformed about gaining so much extra weight.

These players are young and impressionable. They may make  decisions about their own bodies without fully understanding what they need to understand . They may have a buddy from their country who can tell them how to add muscle but without all the proper knowledge they truly need to actually help them become a better baseball player.

I don't know if the Sox have one person who is the kind of guy I am talking about but if they do they need to direct the players to that guy about how they can become a better player through training specifically geared to them. I'm not even sure if the Sox management is fully informed enough to hire the right guy(s) for the job.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Athletic training is such a minefield. Somewhere some trainer has to step up and say "do not weight train to the point that you're adding 20+ pounds. If you are a pitcher you can maybe experiment with adding close to 10 lbs to your legs or lower body to improve your drive off the mound. A real baseball trainer can't just be  about the proper way to lift weights. They have to understand whats best for each position on the field , each players physiology and health history and the after effects of Covid and tailor the needs of the player accordingly. The really need to be experts in quite a few fields along with acute knowledge of baseball.

If you are a hitter perhaps a 5-10 lbs to your upper body but wrists are so important you don't really have to add much weight because how much weight can you really put on your forearms and keeping your wrists strong ? Now I'm not an expert in these things by any stretch of the imagination. But when you finish growing and are in your physical prime generally from 18 to mid to late 20's years old , the weight you are in those years is generally the weight you should maintain where you are at your most athletic self generally .Obviously the maturation of your body may add some pounds but it's up to you to distribute it where you need it as well as where your genetics put it. Strength and weight gain without maintaining flexibility, quickness, speed and athleticism and putting it where it should be can be more of a detriment than a help. Diet and stamina training, expanding your lungs by running or lower impact stamina training like life cycles will help too.

But this thing about just gaining muscle all over is not for baseball players which is a finesse sport. Legs and core most important. Flexibility in your legs and back and a strong stomach should prevent a lot of pulled leg muscles but again if you have any unnatural curvature of your spine like scoliosis it's even more important to keep your core strong. A trainer should know all of these things about a player he is training. One size does not fit all.

Even a smart guy like Giolito who is always looking for ways to get better somehow was misinformed about gaining so much extra weight.

These players are young and impressionable. They may make  decisions about their own bodies without fully understanding what they need to understand . They may have a buddy from their country who can tell them how to add muscle but without all the proper knowledge they truly need to actually help them become a better baseball player.

I don't know if the Sox have one person who is the kind of guy I am talking about but if they do they need to direct the players to that guy about how they can become a better player through training specifically geared to them. I'm not even sure if the Sox management is fully informed enough to hire the right guy(s) for the job.

Appreciate the reply. I don’t know man. If I’m making millions of dollars a year, and Im trying for more in the outfield, Im doing a lot of research. And being as light as possible seems a no brainer as a goal for a big man. While a good guy, Eloy seems immature,  and somehow insulated against positive suggestions watching his career. I would be surprised if he wasn’t just fat and arrogant instead of overtrained on the wrong program.

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Appreciate the reply. I don’t know man. If I’m making millions of dollars a year, and Im trying for more in the outfield, Im doing a lot of research. And being as light as possible seems a no brainer as a goal for a big man. While a good guy, Eloy seems immature,  and somehow insulated against positive suggestions watching his career. I would be surprised if he wasn’t just fat and arrogant instead of overtrained on the wrong program.

Maybe but Giolito also did the wrong thing in adding all the extra weight. These guys are much younger than you and I and sometimes they listen to the wrong people. It's the Sox job to prevent that and guide them to at least a consultation with the right person who hopefully they employ that person to protect their multi million dollar investments from their youth.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe but Giolito also did the wrong thing in adding all the extra weight. These guys are much younger than you and I and sometimes they listen to the wrong people. It's the Sox job to prevent that and guide them to at least a consultation with the right person who hopefully they employ that person to protect their multi million dollar investments from their youth.

Like I've been told by those close to the organization, when it comes to things like conditioning, sleep schedules, nutrition et al the "Sox play checkers while other clubs play chess..."

16 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Well, the only running Giolito has to worry about is to cover first base. History is replete with good, yet fat pitchers. Outfielders,  not so much. This is a stretch, if you will.

If you listened to any of the Giolito remarks in the youtube posts I made in this thread you'll see he said in retrospect he didnt do the right thing last year which is why he lost the weight he gained. Pitchers have to be athletic too  to field their position . Plus repeating your mechanics with 35 extra lbs. isn't exactly the easiest thing to do either plus throw in a bout with Covid last year. Sometimes thinking you need to be stronger and bigger isn't the right answer. Being smart and over thinking things can be just as detrimental as being stupid.

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Like I've been told by those close to the organization, when it comes to things like conditioning, sleep schedules, nutrition et al the "Sox play checkers while other clubs play chess..."

Which is why I made that long post about hoping the Sox had a real expert top trainer who knows all the things I talked about in that post. You need quite an education to plan a health strategy for every player. They are all different sizes , shapes, different injury history's and ages and need a program specifically designed for them as individuals.

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Moncada definitely the most controversial Sox player in terms of his body style versus maintaining ideal conditioning for baseball, particularly core and lower body.  Just having balked up arms doesn't equate to massive home run numbers.  Way too top heavy, always manages to have leg and core issues...not surprisingly.

It's like he is more concerned about looking good in a reggaeton video than being the best baseball player on the planet.

Guess this has already been covered ad nauseam.

This podcast addresses some concerns many of us have a bout some of the comeback candidates like LG, Eloy and Robert and some good  points are made in an optimistic manner about how the Grifol era is sending an information available and a bit more intense message about how to prepare and get from point A to point B as a player and a team.

Nick Murawski has his own podcast, Locked on White Sox, but I like him better when he's paired with Pat Hester ( who is dryly humorous without laughing at his own jokes) ,in the Good Guys Talk back podcasts. Have a listen.

If there is a White Sox player who can best verbalize the feelings inside the White Sox clubhouse, it's Lance Lynn. Chuck Garfien sits down with the veteran leader at spring training to discuss many hot-button topics: computers projecting the White Sox to have a losing record this year, how they need to come together as a team, the Guardians mocking the White Sox after they won the AL Central, what he'd say to White Sox fans who are skeptical about them having a comeback season and much more.

18 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just for clarification you are referring to the strength and conditioning staff and not the athletic trainers.

The strength and conditioning staff is responsible for the preseason programs and in season workouts. The athletic training staff works with the injuries and modifications of the workouts due to the injuries. 

They all work together but have a specific set of responsibilities. 

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Just for clarification you are referring to the strength and conditioning staff and not the athletic trainers.

The strength and conditioning staff is responsible for the preseason programs and in season workouts. The athletic training staff works with the injuries and modifications of the workouts due to the injuries. 

Hey I'm just happy you're alive. You've been pretty scarce round these parts lately.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You’re back!