2023-24 NFL Season Thread

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

How many good OC candidates are still going to choose that type of instability versus starting fresh with a new head coach that isn’t a lame duck?  Stability for them in their role, but then having to work with an entirely new coaching staff the very next year?  It’s still a crappy setup.

Why are you assuming there is instability or that Eberflus is a lame duck coach. Doesn't he have 2 more years on his contract? 

14 minutes ago, Quin said:

This is like when my company did layoffs, but kept senior VPs of departments that were cut.

Their running backs coach is also out and the assistant TE coach.  I think I'm confused?  They basically got rid of all the major offensive coaches with two exceptions (TE coach and Oline coach)....presuming because feedback was very positive on them, so they are retaining them and will allow the new OC to make a decision.  

I don't see anything wrong with that. 

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

This is like when my company did layoffs, but kept senior VPs of departments that were cut.

Eh I think an OC and his staff being wiped out would be like wiping out the Senior VP of his dept personally.

I heard a few things on this:

Braxton is a starting LT 

Ryan Poles things pretty highly of Justin Fields 

Note: On the Fields part, I may be wrong, but on the Jones part - I think Poles is proud of hitting on him and he isn't taking an LT in the top 10 this year.  

From a leverage perspective - I walk away from this thinking it is 60/40 they stick with Fields, which might have been strategic.  Is going to force a team wanting #1 to blow them away and also force a team interested in Fields to call them with a pretty strong offer.  

But I get a sense from Poles of - I want to build a really good football team and he didn't seem as concerned with QB as maybe Ryan Pace was.  He seems like - I'll build a really good team and keep doing it and will figure out QB, whether Fields or someone else.  Don't get the sense that it has to be with #1 pick. 

Warren is 5 times more credible a speaker than Ted was. I will say that.  Warren was the best of the 3 on stage - not saying he said a ton, but from a statement perspective, his was the strongest and it's clear he has perspective.  

What was the actual Harbaugh question? If he asked if he spoke to harbaugh, that's just an EASY answer to sidestep. If he asked if he spoke to Harbaugh or his representatives, a little better. But the reality is both are asking if Poles did that, not if the bears as an org reached out.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Just playing devil(s) advocate here. And I have no idea whether Poles / Warren did or didn't talk to anyone.  But do you really think if they did - they would say it in a press conference right now. Other than check a box for the fans, that does NOTHING worthwhile for the franchise. It undermines Eberflus and is a bad look too for any coach who maybe had a back line convo.  

If the Bears talked to Harbaugh and found out he wasn't interested or was too expensive - we won't know that for a while when someone eventually leaks it. But it won't come from Poles or Warren.  

And they very well might have done nothing - but lets not act like Poles doesn't know a ton of people. All of these people are football people so they are having convo(s) all the time and know people all over the league. It's a small league.  It's like at work - I know everyone across our different business units that do similar roles as me and as members of my team. When I have an opening or make a change, I can do it without talking to anyone at times - cause I already know or have an idea (and say - hey I'm going outside cause I don't like my internal options) or hey I am going to post inside and I already have an idea that this person is a great fit.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

What was the actual Harbaugh question? If he asked if he spoke to harbaugh, that's just an EASY answer to sidestep. If he asked if he spoke to Harbaugh or his representatives, a little better. But the reality is both are asking if Poles did that, not if the bears as an org reached out.

And there is zero reason for him to answer it with a yes anyway.  It's like asking have you talked to any pending free agents.  He could say no - but I'm sure somewhere they have already had some dialogue with agents and other areas to have an idea on who is more likely to hit FA and who isn't, etc.  Just like I'm sure they have done due diligence already on potential top draft picks, even though that work will accelerate and get even clear(er) now that you know where you are picking.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think the question was if he talked to Harbaugh or his agent. 

It's such an awkward question with Eberflus sitting right there. What's he going to say? That he talked to Harbaugh but they didn't want to pay him $130 million so they're stuck with Eberflus? 

I'll give the media their credit. They asked a lot of uncomfortable and guided questions to Poles to try and extract his thought process. The Stroud questions were very awkward, but it's something that every fan should be asking Poles. How can we trust you to make the right decision scouting-wise with the #1 pick if you missed out on Stroud? 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I think the question was if he talked to Harbaugh or his agent. 

It's such an awkward question with Eberflus sitting right there. What's he going to say? That he talked to Harbaugh but they didn't want to pay him $130 million so they're stuck with Eberflus? 

In fairness - Harbaugh could have said it is going to take 20M over 8 years (so 160M guaranteed) and McCaskey said - I love you, but not happening.  And quite frankly - that doesn't surprise me. It's same reason I don't think he ends up in San Diego. Whatever franchise lands Harbaugh - has to have one of those owners who is crazy rich.  McCaskeys just aren't that fit.  

Just now, chw42 said:

I'll give the media their credit. They asked a lot of uncomfortable and guided questions to Poles to try and extract his thought process. The Stroud questions were very awkward, but it's something that every fan should be asking Poles. How can we trust you to make the right decision scouting-wise with the #1 pick if you missed out on Stroud? 

Poles is always a bit goofy in his press conferences - but I respect that unlike Pace, he actually gets up there throughout the season, etc.  His Stroud answer he clearly was not comfortable answering. I think he meant to say - we had Field(s) in house and a massive offer. At the time - Fields graded out or had similar upside and we had a chance to take both. but I think if he answered fully honest he also would have given up some leverage.  

Just now, chw42 said:

He answered it the proper way the third time it was asked 

Essentially, we like where we are at with the addition of Moore, Wright and all the other picks we acquired. 

Ok so if we can agree that the pool is all unemployed, non-playcalling OCs, and positions underneath OCs, I think, I think my ranking would be : 
1. Shane Waldron (comes from McVay, should be fine with Chris Morgan, excellent work at Seattle)
2. Eric Bienemy (Downside is he if he is like Nagy, he runs inside zone and Nagy preferred Beef. Not sure what Bienemy did, but he was the one who really started to create a run game post-Nagy)
3. Ken Dorsey - just extremely like the bills offense that he had put together. THey had no run game under Daboll, he put a lot of work together that saw fruition this year despite the turnovers. Yes...that team is mostly Allen though.

4. Liem Cohen - Playcaller at UK who has twice worked under McVay as QB coach and passing coordinator. Worked with Levis in his best year.
5. Zac Robinson - McVay QB coach and Passing Game Coordinator, worked under both Cohen and Mike LaFleur
6. Mike LaFleur - docked for his time in NYJ...but that may make him the perfect get. He also is probably most likely to take this to jumpstart his career again. While work with Wilson wasn't inspiring...Zach Wilson sucks.
7. Brian Callahan - Skeptical he'd take this, but I gained a lot of respect for Bengals this year. Crazy SoS, and the thought was always that Zac Taylor was a weak coach and burrow transformed them. That offense was humming with Browning still.
8. Darrell Bevell - HC era seems to have passed him by, but 2 years under McDaniel and extensive career seems perfect. Honestly seems like a Daboll situation.
9. Chris Foerster - OL/Run Game Coordinator for 49ers. Could likely bring a strong QB coach/passing game coordinator, but a pairing of OL coaches could be great option.
10. Arthur Smith - I just remembered again late that he is here but probably top 4. Didn't have it as HC but prior to this year had a very efficient offense. How he gets his hand in choosing a top QB which he lacked in ATL.
10. Greg Olson (discussed)
11. Kliff Kingsbury - Didn't like his air raid nfl offense, but a year under Riley may bring some exciting wrinkles. Paired with a good Run Game coordinator could be interesting.
12. Klint Kubiak - didn't love his offense at all in MN, but now he's seasoned under shanahan. If you can tell, I prefer the McVay tree to the shanahan tree

The good news here, though I don't think 1-2 , 7 or 10 are feasible, is these are actually damn good hires. Anyone on this list I'd say...we got better. Olson probably most controversial.

One thing that sucks is I really want to put Byron Leftwich. I love that Arians offense. Maybe you interview him and he has a good discussion on why it didn't work. While last year with Brady was disappointing, this year showed that the offense still had lots of skill talent and the oline was in shambles the year prior. Hope he gets another shot, makes me nervous here.

Totally ok with Jerrod Johnson but makes me nervous as he only has 2 years really in coaching.

Pep Hamilton is an ok candidate, just outside my fringe. Like Olson - really never had great talent. 

Also still intrigued on Mike Kafka. Doesn't have playcalling. This year was a mess but ...rebounded. That OL regressed and clearly had a bad OL coach which is never a good look on the OC but when Daboll is running it, who knows.

• Thanks 1

I've never been so disgusted by the state of Chicago sports. The Bears, Bulls and Sox are all clown colleges and it seems they all have the same philosophy.  Not truly interested in winning championships. Sneaking into the playoffs (Playoffs?!?!?!?!) Is the goal. Chicago fans should turn them off and quit going to games en masse. 

It also may be that the Cubs are interested in taking this route as well now that they're off the schneid. 

The Hawks are so deep in a rebuild that it will take a while to see what this FO has. 

46 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Warren is impressive on the podium. Doesn't mean he is good at his job - but he has been impressive and smooth up there.  

Right, he's a politician making football decisions, same as it ever was at Halas.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

From a leverage perspective - I walk away from this thinking it is 60/40 they stick with Fields, which might have been strategic.  Is going to force a team wanting #1 to blow them away and also force a team interested in Fields to call them with a pretty strong offer.  

But I get a sense from Poles of - I want to build a really good football team and he didn't seem as concerned with QB as maybe Ryan Pace was.  He seems like - I'll build a really good team and keep doing it and will figure out QB, whether Fields or someone else.  Don't get the sense that it has to be with #1 pick. 

Like you said it will all depend on whether someone blows them away, but you also can’t talk about building a good football Team and ignore the QB and cap hit/rookie contract topics.