2023-24 NFL Season Thread

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Ryan Poles really asleep at the wheel.

No signings for the defensive line with a bunch of cap space.

Sam Howell effectively got traded for a top 100 pick and he's apparently not even bothering to trade Fields.

It is becoming inexcusable at this point. What is he waiting for? There’s a lot of positions to be upgraded and there are only so many picks in the draft. 

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, I just don't get it. DJ Wonnum went to the Panthers on a 2 year deal. Why are they just sitting on cap money for this season? Unless they are throwing EVERYONE off, they are going to be paying their QB nothing over the next 3 seasons. 

There’s no reason to throw everyone off, though. If we have to use the logic of, “this makes sense if A,B,C and D happens,” then there’s a problem. 

20 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

There’s no reason to throw everyone off, though. If we have to use the logic of, “this makes sense if A,B,C and D happens,” then there’s a problem. 

I’m not saying they are or they should. I’m simply saying it’s basically a forgone conclusion at this point Caleb will be at QB, which means you have a rookie pay scale at the most expensive position in the NFL, not sure why they are being so frugal with their cap situation right now 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The longer this drags out, the more I wonder if they really are keeping Fields.

If they're keeping Fields, they'd be loading up in FA. Because Poles, Fields, and Eberflus would be playing for their jobs next year. 

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

If they're keeping Fields, they'd be loading up in FA. Because Poles, Fields, and Eberflus would be playing for their jobs next year. 

Not really - cause if you were keeping Fields you would be thinking about your future cap and you would know you are getting a haul for the #1 overall pick so you need to have more flexibility.  But if you were keeping Field(s) I do think they would have splurged on a defensive player.  

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Bears added another OL, so there is starting to be some veteran depth there.

https://x.com/courtneyrcronin/status/1768434782508024167?s=46&t=Nd9oJCYs4TMp8_32NrPiMA

Yeah - they have made moves - they are clearly focusing on depth - maybe to sure up fact that they know they don't have a lot of picks.  But it does seem they are holding out money - whether that is for someone yet to hit the market, as part of a trade, or a still to be signed FA.  

Brad Biggs was reporting for a while that he DID not expect the Bears to be big spenders in FA though - so his intel seemed right. With that said - we upgraded RB and FS, brought in 2 centers better than what they had (but not great) and added 2 depth oline pieces plus a backup FS/ST player and a special teams player (and used up some cap space on Sweat & JJ).  

My general reaction is Poles is continuing to be measured in FA market and principled (whether right or wrong) that this is not an area where you want to go wild. We ripped him last year for a couple of the guys he didn't get - but reality was he wasn't wrong in those choices.  

I'll admit though - I was expecting a material addition on the line and they clearly have work at wideout, but Poles might just be looking at it and saying - teams are running out of space and there are still 2-3 other wideouts I like as much as Samuel and Mooney and decide I can get them for half the price.  Does he go retread and bring in Juju and Renfrow (Not sure what happened with JuJu in New England - I do know JuJu isn't the player he was early in his career with the Steelers - injuries cost him a step).  

The above 2 don't look that bad if you intend to grab a 1st round wideout.  

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Now we know what Poles was saving his cap space for. Allen will get $23 million this year.

You are correct steep

Edited by Soxfest

Outstanding trade! I give Poles a lot of credit for patience here. My hot takes from a few hours ago have aged terribly. 

It would seem this places us out of play for Odunze at 9. Is a trade down inevitable now?

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bears jumped the line on a potential cap cut.  Nice

News of the Chiefs signing Marquise Brown broke like 30 minutes after the Allen news. You'd have to think they were gonna be in on Allen and the Chargers probably did not want to trade him to them or have him reach free agency to go to KC. 

Just now, Flash Tizzle said:

Outstanding trade! I give Poles a lot of credit for patience here. My hot takes from a few hours ago have aged terribly. 

It would seem this places us out of play for Odunze at 9. Is a trade down inevitable now?

Yes I will happily eat crow for my Poles criticism. This was much needed to make this off-season make sense. 

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Yes, you gotta think the draft is kind of set now.

Bears - QB

Washington- QB

Pats - QB

Cards - WR

Chargers - WR

Giants - WR