2023-24 NFL Season Thread

What you don't get to see watching a game on TV is how open/covered the receivers are.

There were a lot of plays where Fields actually had a reasonable amount of time to throw and either didn't throw at all or threw the 2 yard pass to the check down back.

If there's really nobody open then this is on the receivers and the playcallers. If there are guys getting open that Fields isn't throwing to, then that's on him.

I would guess it's a combination of both.

I think yesterday’s beatdown was so hurtful for a lot of bears fans because it destroyed the narrative that the only reason the packers beat up the bears in recent years was due to the QB position. They were expecting a big shift in power as soon as rodgers was gone. It goes far beyond that imo.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think yesterday’s beatdown was so hurtful for a lot of bears fans because it destroyed the narrative that the only reason the packers beat up the bears in recent years was due to the QB position. They were expecting a big shift in power as soon as rodgers was gone. It goes far beyond that imo.

Love was far from great yesterday. Missed a lot of open receivers.

The Bears have zero pass rush, yet they almost never blitzed. Can't give a QB that much time to sit back there and scan the field.

Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

Love was far from great yesterday. Missed a lot of open receivers.

The Bears have zero pass rush, yet they almost never blitzed. Can't give a QB that much time to sit back there and scan the field.

Which is exactly why I said the one-sidedness of this rivalry in recent years goes far beyond just the QB position…

Fields checked down way to often.  That is why there were no down field throws.

The new guard stinks as does the center and maybe Whitehair does as well I don't really know.

The DC should be the first guy to go.  The D line gets zero pressure and they do nothing about it.

All that being said, what does Eddie Jackson actually do out there other then wave his arms around after giving up a long gain?

11 hours ago, lostfan said:

Fields was bad today but not bad enough to be singled out. Literally the entire team (except Santos) was ass today. Getsy's game plan was the most asinine I've ever seen - Fields had 3 passes attempted over 10 yards on 37 attempts. They didn't even TRY to get anything to Moore. The OL and DL were bad. The Packers offense wasn't really doing anything in the first half so the defense LITERALLY just let the Packers' mediocre, inexperienced WRs get as wide open as possible (one time they did this on 2 straight plays as if they were making up for it not working the first time).

I hear you entirely - all that said - I’m over excuses. Franchise qbs by definition overcome them. It’s one game so that game doesn’t make a season - but it was more of the same. With that said - I have said I will be patient, but my patience ends this season. 

By end of season - he has either shown that he is a franchise qb or they need to move another direction. Quite frankly halfway through the season, if it isn’t their try Bagent . 

that was horrible. Gonna just move out of sports in general, just absolutely absurd how every year is the same with this org. Its boring, but theres no reason to be reasonable with the bears. There's no point. If the bears hire a coach, they hired the worst coach. If they drafted a qb, they will be bad. If they hire a gm, they will be bad. There is no other option, it will be like this forever.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

that was horrible. Gonna just move out of sports in general, just absolutely absurd how every year is the same with this org. Its boring, but theres no reason to be reasonable with the bears. There's no point. If the bears hire a coach, they hired the worst coach. If they drafted a qb, they will be bad. If they hire a gm, they will be bad. There is no other option, it will be like this forever.

Jack? 

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

From an organizational standpoint, the Bears and White Sox have a lot in common.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

From an organizational standpoint, the Bears and White Sox have a lot in common.

The only thing worse than being a bears fan is a sox fan in chicago.

And quite honestly, given what they were from jordan, it's extremely painful watching the bulls reject trying to be an elite franchise.

It's bleak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

The only thing worse than being a bears fan is a sox fan in chicago.

And quite honestly, given what they were from jordan, it's extremely painful watching the bulls reject trying to be an elite franchise.

It's bleak.

The biggest common theme is shitty ownership. Until that changes, not much else changes on the field.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I hear you entirely - all that said - I’m over excuses. Franchise qbs by definition overcome them. It’s one game so that game doesn’t make a season - but it was more of the same. With that said - I have said I will be patient, but my patience ends this season. 

By end of season - he has either shown that he is a franchise qb or they need to move another direction. Quite frankly halfway through the season, if it isn’t their try Bagent . 

I wonder if they’ll even have the courage to do that midseason, regardless of how Fields looks. Whenever Bagent finds himself in a game, whether because of a blowout or injury, the QB controversy will begin.

24 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I wonder if they’ll even have the courage to do that midseason, regardless of how Fields looks. Whenever Bagent finds himself in a game, whether because of a blowout or injury, the QB controversy will begin.

IF through 8 weeks of the season - the Bears are like 1-7 and its because the offense is not scoring, moving the needle -> than they need to do something different. It isn't a controversy - cause Fields will have shown he is NO good and Bagent is probably worse, but lets find out.  

Now if they are 1-7 and its because they are giving up 35 points per game and losing 35-28, well that is a different problem and one I would honestly GLADLY accept.  I am fine if the Bears wanted to completely ignore the defense and just build the offense and once they find an offense that works, try to figure out the defense.  Just because I am so done watching horrendous offense(s) year in and year out.  

I will state - Williams looks like a seriously awful DC (showed plenty of signs of that last year - but I got it, the talent level was horrendous).  This year the talent level of the pass rusher(s) is still bad, but there is enough talent around that, where I expect better and I certainly expect better coaching wise to move the needle.  

It has to be a pretty uncomfortable day/week at Halas and hopefully this team responds well.  One time back in 2003, the Patriots lost a home opener 31-0 to the Bills. The Pats went on to go 14-2 and won the Super Bowl that year.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

IF through 8 weeks of the season - the Bears are like 1-7 and its because the offense is not scoring, moving the needle -> than they need to do something different. It isn't a controversy - cause Fields will have shown he is NO good and Bagent is probably worse, but lets find out.  

Now if they are 1-7 and its because they are giving up 35 points per game and losing 35-28, well that is a different problem and one I would honestly GLADLY accept.  I am fine if the Bears wanted to completely ignore the defense and just build the offense and once they find an offense that works, try to figure out the defense.  Just because I am so done watching horrendous offense(s) year in and year out.  

I will state - Williams looks like a seriously awful DC (showed plenty of signs of that last year - but I got it, the talent level was horrendous).  This year the talent level of the pass rusher(s) is still bad, but there is enough talent around that, where I expect better and I certainly expect better coaching wise to move the needle.  

It has to be a pretty uncomfortable day/week at Halas and hopefully this team responds well.  One time back in 2003, the Patriots lost a home opener 31-0 to the Bills. The Pats went on to go 14-2 and won the Super Bowl that year.  

I have no idea why flus is sticking with williams after he failed his first time at DC and showed nothing special so far. 

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The thing I love about games like this is how it sticks with me all week.  especially when the Sox suck ass lol

yeah, it pathetically ruined my day because I knew I went from getting to watch football on sundays to just doing some really top notch gardening each week.

I've never really been a national-level sport follower for the main American ones, but I do enjoy with tennis/f1 how you can just kinda enjoy the show of the best talent in the world competing.

Looking forward to hyping up this detroit OC when he becomes our coach with like...the texas qb and then failing in new and ridiculous ways.

31 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

All goes back to the Bears and White Sox failing to hire anyone with a proven track record.  Maybe Warren is the guy as he has some backstory but none of it revolves around winning football games. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Congrats to poles on making a worse dline than the worst one I've ever seen.

Congrats on flus for keeping a dline coach who oversaw the worst one I've ever seen.

Just jerry reinsdorf level stuff here.

This is by design. They had so many issues they couldn't fix all in one off season. They added to the linebackers and drafted for the secondary and dline. Anyone who thought the Bears were going to be good this year was fooling themselves. Next year with 2 high first round picks they either take a QB (if and when Fields doesn't pan out) or the best pass rusher.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Which is exactly why I said the one-sidedness of this rivalry in recent years goes far beyond just the QB position…

It really starts with the offensive line. I don't think the Bears have had an above average, or maybe even average offensive line this century. You're never just a QB away until you have a decent offensive line.

30 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is by design. They had so many issues they couldn't fix all in one off season. They added to the linebackers and drafted for the secondary and dline. Anyone who thought the Bears were going to be good this year was fooling themselves. Next year with 2 high first round picks they either take a QB (if and when Fields doesn't pan out) or the best pass rusher.

The lack of pass rush or the defense making mental mistakes did not surprise me a ton. They were awful last year and didn’t make any major improvements and the ones they made in interior were playing their first game.  And beyond that a bunch of them stacked up a ton of DNPs too in training camp and preseason which further constrains communication issues. 

Offense was my issue. Same system as last year with many of same players etc. just looked bad across the board. I will say I think GB has a top 5 defense. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Taking 5 years to rebuild is really only the expectation in chicago. Being the worst pass rush in 2 years is not "by design" for any defense.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic