2023-24 NFL Season Thread

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Chase Claypool individually taking a lot of heat for lack of effort and effectiveness blocking downfield.

Looks like St. Brown might already be taking his place on active list as early as this weekend.

He might be one of those selfish Wideouts trying to get back into being a No.1 or 2 guy and getting paid and not playing for the team. He needs to understand that you have block and do  the little team game things. Thing is he's closer to being out of football if that's his attitude than ever getting a legit chance to be a top WR again.

On a side note. I didn't know if i was going to get the Bears game on Sunday being in L.A.  I knew it was being featured in the rest of the country. So I had Fox on and all the expert talking heads picked the Bears and I couldn't believe it. I don't follow football as religiously as I follow baseball so I thought maybe I'm just missing why everyone is so excited about the Bears.  They sucked last year in a lot of aspects of the game  kind of like the Sox do now.

I know in football a lot depends on the QB but i saw nothing to indicate that Fields could make the leap to a top notch QB. Sure he can run but could the Bears throw the ball ? Not without protection they will never find out and the offensive line didn't show me anything great. Injuries have hurt but exposed the lack of depth there. I didn't see anything up front on the defensive line that made me think they'd be so much better than last year . Last year they were pitiful pressuring the QB. If you can't get consistent pressure  you can't play defense. It's that simple . A good D line makes everyone better . Interceptions come , turnovers come all as a result of pressure on the QB.

Any way back to the pregame talking heads. I actually thought the Bears were going to lose and it wouldn't be close. Unfortunately I got the Seattle game. I thought about coming on here and saying what I just said but  I thought eh what do I know ? I don't follow the Bears that closely and maybe I'm missing why everyone was so excited. Maybe it helps some times to take a step back from your fandom.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He might be one of those selfish Wideouts trying to get back into being a No.1 or 2 guy and getting paid and not playing for the team. He needs to understand that you have block and do  the little team game things. Thing is he's closer to being out of football if that's his attitude than ever getting a legit chance to be a top WR again.

On a side note. I didn't know if i was going to get the Bears game on Sunday being in L.A.  I knew it was being featured in the rest of the country. So I had Fox on and all the expert talking heads picked the Bears and I couldn't believe it. I don't follow football as religiously as I follow baseball so I thought maybe I'm just missing why everyone is so excited about the Bears.  They sucked last year in a lot of aspects of the game  kind of like the Sox do now.

I know in football a lot depends on the QB but i saw nothing to indicate that Fields could make the leap to a top notch QB. Sure he can run but could the Bears throw the ball ? Not without protection they will never find out and the offensive line didn't show me anything great. Injuries have hurt but exposed the lack of depth there. I didn't see anything up front on the defensive line that made me think they'd be so much better than last year . Last year they were pitiful pressuring the QB. If you can't get consistent pressure  you can't play defense. It's that simple . A good D line makes everyone better . Interceptions come , turnovers come all as a result of pressure on the QB.

Any way back to the pregame talking heads. I actually thought the Bears were going to lose and it wouldn't be close. Unfortunately I got the Seattle game. I thought about coming on here and saying what I just said but  I thought eh what do I know ? I don't follow the Bears that closely and maybe I'm missing why everyone was so excited. Maybe it helps some times to take a step back from your fandom.

I think it was genuinely surprising and disappointing how bad the Bears played. They were bad last year yes, but they added a whole draft and $100 million worth of free agents and other things to that. They absolutely should have been expected to give the Packers a better game than this. It was a home game against your long term division rival. They aren't a title contending team, I think most people know that, but there is no valid reason why, with everything the Bears did, they couldn't have given the Packers a closer game than that. If the 49ers dropped a massive beatdown on you, that's one thing, does anyone think the Packers are the best team in the NFC? Do they have the best pash rush in the NFC? I sure don't think so.

You've noted Claypool's effort specifically, but he's not the only one. The game plan was bad, they did a poor job of setting Fields up for any sort of success (see his WR's numbers), and the tackling and coverage were poor in addition to the lack of pass rush. Some of these things aren't just personnel - you could get an elite D-Lineman or two in next year's first round, but if your defensive backfield can't tackle, you still have a bad game. If you protect your QB a little better, but your WRs don't put in effort, don't block, and don't get separation, then you still have other problems. There's a video out there of a goal line play where Field rolled out, Kmet was out of the back of the end zone, and there was literally no one else on the side of the field where he rolled to - what the Hell was going on with that play?

If the Bears did a better job of tackling, cut down the big plays as a consequence, did a better job of setting their WRs up with a better game plan, this at least makes things competitive. Maybe they don't yet have elite O and D lines, but you can at least give a better showing than that stinkfest.

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What the heck happened with DJ Moore?

He was hyped up the entire off season on sports radio as a near superstar level of talent.

Feels more like overhyped Sox FA moves in years past....Steve Sax or Cory Snyder.

He has had exactly one game, can you maybe wait a few more weeks before you drop some names that have nothing to do with the sport 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

How many weeks do we need to wait? You sound like 1978 Philadelphia Flyers GM Keith Allen.

I would be bloody disappointed if he doesn't have a vastly more active game this week. He wasn't on a team with an incredible offense by any stretch in 2022, and he averaged 7 targets and 3.7 catches per game, which is starkly different from 2 catches on 2 targets last week. The year before that averaged nearly 10 targets and 5.5 catches a game.

There's no earthly reason why he can get 7 targets and 3.7 catches per game when Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield are the ones throwing him the ball and he should get vastly less from this Bears roster. Whether that's on Fields decision making (which comes to how he was coached to deal with situations) or on the gameplan, either way - this one is straight up on the coaches given that comparison, and it needs fixed.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I would be bloody disappointed if he doesn't have a vastly more active game this week. He wasn't on a team with an incredible offense by any stretch in 2022, and he averaged 7 targets and 3.7 catches per game, which is starkly different from 2 catches on 2 targets last week. The year before that averaged nearly 10 targets and 5.5 catches a game.

There's no earthly reason why he can get 7 targets and 3.7 catches per game when Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield are the ones throwing him the ball and he should get vastly less from this Bears roster. Whether that's on Fields decision making (which comes to how he was coached to deal with situations) or on the gameplan, either way - this one is straight up on the coaches given that comparison, and it needs fixed.

Could be a combination of all of the above.  Or maybe they could have gotten something better for the 1st overall pick?  It is pretty funny though that people seem to think we traded for prime Randy Moss

50 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Could be a combination of all of the above.  Or maybe they could have gotten something better for the 1st overall pick?  It is pretty funny though that people seem to think we traded for prime Randy Moss

The comparison isn't anything involving Moss, it involves Patrick Mahomes. Last year's receiving corps in Chicago was terrible, as bad as what KC was throwing out there in game 1 against the Lions. It turned out that even Patrick Mahomes couldn't take receivers who were that bad and churn out a win against a competent opponent. That was what Justin Fields was dealing with all last year.

With Moore and Claypool and better depth, they don't have to be great, but at least they have to be competent. At his best last year, Fields was able to move the ball with his legs and occasionally throw a ball to a RB or TE. If you bring the WR corps up to competent, then combined with Fields's ability to run, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to regularly move the football. The defense has to focus on Fields because he can beat them alone, they can't focus on Fields and double team every WR, or at least they shouldn't be able to if a play is well crafted.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t recall anyone ever comparing DJ Moore to Steve Sax but please continue 

Maybe Rock Raines is closer then.

Literally a HoF player and he was solid for the White Sox but nothing close to the dynamic force he was in the first half of his career with the Expos.

Or maybe it's just that Bears' offseason tall radio tends to even overhype the likes of Cole Kmet when there's not as much baseball other than the Cubs to discuss.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe Rock Raines is closer then.

Literally a HoF player and he was solid for the White Sox but nothing close to the dynamic force he was in the first half of his career with the Expos.

Or maybe it's just that Bears' offseason tall radio tends to even overhype the likes of Cole Kmet when there's not as much baseball other than the Cubs to discuss.

Maybe don’t compare him to anyone after one game because that’s dumb.  Maybe especially don’t compare him to a guy who forgot how to play and got the yips to a guy who had three targets in, again, the first season game for the team.

or just keep naming people whatever.  Do your thing caulfield it always brings great convo when we spend 3 pages asking you what the f*** was that about 

25 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Maybe don’t compare him to anyone after one game because that’s dumb.  Maybe especially don’t compare him to a guy who forgot how to play and got the yips to a guy who had three targets in, again, the first season game for the team.

or just keep naming people whatever.  Do your thing caulfield it always brings great convo when we spend 3 pages asking you what the f*** was that about 

You must be quite fun at dinner parties...but even game threads aren't three pages these days.

DJ Moore was mildly disappointing but will probably recover to have a somewhat decent season.

If there was no overreaction or hot takes in the media....well, we wouldn't have every single College Gameday being hosted in Boulder, Colorado for a month in a row.  We wouldn't have manufactured "slight" or diss stories that lead to reaction and then counter reaction coverage.

(At least until the Buffs lose to USC Washington Oregon etc.)

Edited by caulfield12