2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/first-full-2024-mlb-mock-draft

Barf.  I get it.  The trend is your friend.  Giving the Sox the low ceiling college guy is a great bet but those days are in past.  New leadership. New direction.  New draft philosophy.  The time is now to start hunting high impact players.  

Konnor Griffin sure seems to slot into that new philosophy. Here's hoping. Dude sounds like a toolbox.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/first-full-2024-mlb-mock-draft

Barf.  I get it.  The trend is your friend.  Giving the Sox the low ceiling college guy is a great bet but those days are in past.  New leadership. New direction.  New draft philosophy.  The time is now to start hunting high impact players.  

I like going High School and am also intrigued by Griffin, but you and I disagree on Bazzana. I think he's far from a low-ceiling guy.  There's hit, speed, and some power there.  However, the Jacob Gonzalez pick has left such a bad taste in my mouth, any college infielder is gonna make me break out in hives.

I'm just out on the college 2nd base profile.  Year after year these guys get overdrafted.  I'd much rather take a higher ceiling profile at the top of the draft and take lower profile players later in the draft.  I do think the Gonzalez pick will greatly influence the way they draft in the future and now that Jeremy Haber and his dumbass computer is out of the equation Mike Shirley will be able to draft the type of players he wants.  

• Like 1

1. Cleveland JJ Weatherholt 2B West Virginia
2. Cincinnati Jac Caglione 1B/LHP Florida
3. Colorado Nick Kurtz 1B Wake Forest
4. Oakland Vance Honeycutt OF North Carolina
5. Chicago WS Brody Brecht RHP Iowa
6. Kansas City Charlie Condon OF Georgia
7. St Louis Konnor Griffin OF Jackson Prep
8. LA Angels Chase Burns RHP Wake Forest
9. Pittsburgh Travis Bazzana 2B Oregon St
10. Washington Josh Hartle LHP Wake Forest
11. Detroit Mike Sirota OF Northeastern
12. Boston Caleb Bonemer SS Okemos HS
13. San Francisco Braden Montgomery OF Texas A&M
14. Chicago Cubs Hagen Smith LHP Arkansas
15. Seattle Cam Caminiti LHP Saguaro HS
16. Miami Thatcher Hurd RHP LSU
17. Milwaukee Tommy White 1B LSU
18. Tampa Bay Carson Benge OF Oklahoma St
19. NY Mets Seaver King SS Wake Forest
20. Toronto PJ Morlando OF Summerville HS
21. Minnesota Drew Beem RHP Tennessee
22. Baltimore Griff O'Ferrall SS Virginia
23. LA Dodgers Slade Caldwell OF Valley View HS
24. Atlanta Ben Hess RHP Alabama
25. San Diego Will Taylor OF Clemson
26. NY Yankees Jonathan Santucci LHP Duke
27. Philadelphia Noah Franco OF IMG Academy
28. Houston Jacob Cozart C NC State
29. Arizona Cam Smith 3B Florida St
30. Texas Michael Massey RHP Wake Forest

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

My unfortunate Iowa Fandom would be very okay with that.

I don't know if it's going to be unfortunate this year (at least in baseball).  They have three big time weekend arms.  If they stay healthy and the offense scores some runs they could make a run at Omaha.  

On 12/18/2023 at 8:21 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No more over/under slot. They're too fucking stupid to outsmart the system.  They keep trying and they keep fucking it up.  Just take the best player in every round and pay them slot.   Listen to your scouts in rounds 3-10.  They'll find the players who have some upside and will sign for slot.  No more college seniors who sign for $10,000 and are released in 3 months. That's how you end up with zerp depth in your minor league system.  

Praise be.  No more punting!
I assume that this means no more ceiling relivers in the early rounds as well! (which I assume came complements  of moneyball Haber)

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Praise be.  No more punting!
I assume that this means no more ceiling relivers in the early rounds as well! (which I assume came complements  of moneyball Haber)

Haber ruined more drafts (and other departments) it's unbelievable they didn't shitcan him before now.  Things are going to look very different going forward.  What I'm wondering is if they're gonna be open to trading some of these minor leaguers so they can at least get some value out of them.  

41 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Haber ruined more drafts (and other departments) it's unbelievable they didn't shitcan him before now.  Things are going to look very different going forward.  What I'm wondering is if they're gonna be open to trading some of these minor leaguers so they can at least get some value out of them.  

Interesting question. A lot of these guys have little/no value. Gotta say, if they have the opportunity to unload Gonzalez before he confirms what everyone feared about that swing, I think they should take it.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Isn’t Haber still with the front office though?

Don’t have too much information on Mike Shirley’s #2 Asst Director of Amateur Scouting Charlie Guest. I know he was drafted and played for the White Sox around 20 years ago. What are the insiders thoughts on Guest’s competency (Skills/viewed by the league) as our #2? 

Edited by PolishPrince34