2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

14 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ryan Sloan was good today.  He was real good. 

Possible target for one of their second rounders? This draft seems heavy on risky but projectable HS rhp. It’s one of the reasons I would prefer to get a hitter at 1-5.

Posted (edited)

Updated draft rankings by BA today. Will share the top 15.

1.) Charlie Condon

2.) Travis Bazzana

3.) Jac Caglianone

4.) JJ Wetherholt

5.) Chase Burns.

6.) Hagen Smith

7.) Braden Montgomery

8.) Nick Kurtz

9.) Konnor Griffin

10.) Seaver King

11.) Vance Honeycutt

12.) Brody Brecht

13.) Jonathan Santucci

14.) Caleb Lomavita

15.) Kaelen Culpepper

Edited by DirtySox

Posted (edited)

Also here's a Sloan report.

94. Ryan Sloan
RHP

Ht: 6'4" | Wt: 220 | B-T: R-R

School: York HS, Elmhurst, Ill. Commit/Drafted: Wake Forest

Age At Draft: 18.5

Sloan is a large righthander with a 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame and a reliable three-pitch mix. His fastball has trended up and he now sits in the 90-94 mph range and touches 96 from a slot that varies from three-quarters to a lower three-quarters angle. In addition to his fastball, Sloan has a low-80s slider with sweeping shape and spin rates in the 2,500-2,600 rpm range and an 84-87 mph changeup that is a swing-and-miss offering against lefthanders. Sloan could improve his delivery and command, but his three-pitch mix is advanced for his age. He is committed to Wake Forest.

Edited by DirtySox

I would be happy with anyone in a group of Burns, Smith, Montgomery, Griffin, Rainer.  Interested how they navigate the pool and the other 3 picks they have by early round 3. I fear they are going to go very heavy in pitching. I want at least one hitter added to the mix.

3 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Possible target for one of their second rounders? This draft seems heavy on risky but projectable HS rhp. It’s one of the reasons I would prefer to get a hitter at 1-5.

Not the way he looked yesterday.  It was his first outing (27 pitches).  He was 94-97 w/a much improved breaking ball.  He also cleaned up his body. If this is what he is the rest of the spring I dont see him being there at pick 43.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Yep, you know I think he won’t be there at 5 though

I think it is very unlikely Montgomery goes in the first four picks. Obviously, it is early, but with the way Cags, Condon, and Bazzana have started, there is room for one of Wetherholt, Burns, Smith, Griffin, and Rainer to go ahead of the Sox. Color me shocked if that guy is Montgomery. My money is on one of the pitchers.

BA podcast listed these 8 guys as the top tier: Condon, Caglianone, Bazzana, Smith, Burns, Montgomery, Wetherholt, Kurtz, with Kurtz in danger of falling out of the top group. I would be fine with any of them but Kurtz.

17 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

BA podcast listed these 8 guys as the top tier: Condon, Caglianone, Bazzana, Smith, Burns, Montgomery, Wetherholt, Kurtz, with Kurtz in danger of falling out of the top group. I would be fine with any of them but Kurtz.

Did Griffin rise into and then fall back out of the top group?  

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Did Griffin rise into and then fall back out of the top group?  

You get a sense that he is the top HS player in their eyes, but they are down on the HS crop generally. He is near the top of tier 2 for them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I'm in on Cags, Smith, and Monty.  Burns is throwing the crap out of it but I'm still gonna wait to see how he holds up at the end of the spring before I say I'm in.