Columns on Hahn...

Lip Man 1

“I think that makes it clear that my job is potentially on the line,” he said. “But I want to make something abundantly clear: I’m not a king. I don’t sit in this chair by divine birthright. It’s an absolute privilege to be general manager of the White Sox, one that I need to continue to earn. It’s pro sports. These things eventually come to an end.”

And that, Hahn likes to remind, it wasn’t all that long ago when the Sox front office was drawing wide praise for the up-and-comer of a squad it had assembled.

“We probably weren’t quite as smart as we were viewed to be then,” he said, “and perhaps not quite as stupid as we may be viewed to be now.”

Yeah, well, let’s not split hairs.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

The problem goes far deeper than  that.  The scouting is beyond piss poor.  That's even with their major league scouts.  Even Stone mentioned there's no consistency in the minors.   Not sure why Katz has a job either.

Plus this organization is just cursed. 

Amazed that it's possible that most expensive pen is also the worst

Outside of hardheadedness I can't see why there's a reason to be a fan of this team anymore.   Are A's fan more miserable?

27 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

The problem goes far deeper than  that.  The scouting is beyond piss poor.  That's even with their major league scouts.  Even Stone mentioned there's no consistency in the minors.   Not sure why Katz has a job either.

Plus this organization is just cursed. 

Amazed that it's possible that most expensive pen is also the worst

Outside of hardheadedness I can't see why there's a reason to be a fan of this team anymore.   Are A's fan more miserable?

They have 2027 to look forward to...when team leaves, lol.

Worst Attendance Thursday in majors

Pittsburgh 15,879

Minnesota 12,862

Detroit 11,599

Chicago 11,060

Overall

21. Minnesota 18,776

22. White Sox  18,622

23. Detroit 18,491

24. TB (25,000 capacity unless tarps removed like this weekend against NYY)

25. Cleveland 16,669

26. Cincy

27. KC  15,874

28. Pittsburgh 15,004

29. Miami

30. Oakland

No sympathy at all for Hahn, but he has the haunted look of a man who knows his time is up and that nothing he can do will change that, the only trouble is he won't resign and JR doesn't look like he will fire him anytime soon.

• Hawk 1

“They’re not alone. We’re upset,” Hahn said. “We’re feeling every emotion in the book, ranging from rage to disappointment, and we’ve done perhaps the exact opposite of what we set out to do in terms of regaining our fans’ confidence and trust in what we’re about here.

“At the end of the day, we have to win. That’s the way we’re going to earn this back. We can sit here and talk about how it’s early. We can sit here and talk about all these other teams that had rough starts but still turned it around and even won the World Series after those rough starts. But in the end, it’s not going to matter unless we start winning.

“We still have not just that important hole in the standings to dig out from, but that hole in terms of regaining our fans’ trust,” Hahn added. “We completely understand that and more than just empathize with the emotions they’re feeling. We’re living it day in and day out.”

Grifol:

“But we have 130-something games left, and again, we have guys that have performed here, and they're just not going to not perform.

“We're all here to get better. We have a plan in place today to get better today to win a baseball game. We've got to go out and leave it on the field and try to execute as best we can. That's really about it. What else can you do? Not show up to the ballpark? This game's unforgiving. This game is every single day. Whether you win or lose the day before, you've got to come out and do the same thing again today.”

Scott Merkin/mlb.com

Edited by caulfield12

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

“They’re not alone. We’re upset,” Hahn said. “We’re feeling every emotion in the book, ranging from rage to disappointment, and we’ve done perhaps the exact opposite of what we set out to do in terms of regaining our fans’ confidence and trust in what we’re about here.

“At the end of the day, we have to win. That’s the way we’re going to earn this back. We can sit here and talk about how it’s early. We can sit here and talk about all these other teams that had rough starts but still turned it around and even won the World Series after those rough starts. But in the end, it’s not going to matter unless we start winning.

“We still have not just that important hole in the standings to dig out from, but that hole in terms of regaining our fans’ trust,” Hahn added. “We completely understand that and more than just empathize with the emotions they’re feeling. We’re living it day in and day out.”

Grifol:

“But we have 130-something games left, and again, we have guys that have performed here, and they're just not going to not perform.

“We're all here to get better. We have a plan in place today to get better today to win a baseball game. We've got to go out and leave it on the field and try to execute as best we can. That's really about it. What else can you do? Not show up to the ballpark? This game's unforgiving. This game is every single day. Whether you win or lose the day before, you've got to come out and do the same thing again today.”

Scott Merkin/mlb.com

Team response: loses the next game 14-5.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Both Kenny and Rick dangling the "we might be fired" carrot to the media the last couple days seems fishy to me.  

They know they won't be fired. Its their way of showing fake accountability.  If they really felt as much responsibility as they claim, they would have resigned citing incompetence. Telling JR, if you aren't going to fire us, we will fire ourselves. Hahn saying he needs to "continue to earn" when the f*** did he ever earn it? 2 winning seasons in 11 years, and 1 was a 60 game season fans couldn't even attend. Think about it, he has been the GM 11 seasons and only 1 of those seasons could you buy tickets to go see a good team, and really that was only the first half before they became mediocre again.  I doubt there is a GM with a tenure that long that has ever been as consistently bad. 

The excuses are ridiculous. Players are learning a system? This isn't football. If the system is chase less, why are they almost all chasing more? How in the world could that be part of the process, and if it was, why did they not prepare to be historically bad for a while? 

The team is just bad. They have failed at their jobs. KW and Hahn need to go away. Take Getz with you. There has to be someone they could hire to run the minor leagues who can develop players enough so when they are called up they don't look like they just started playing baseball last week.

We look at the product on the field and see total failure. We don't even mention they can't even call anyone up. Their minor league system is so bad and so injured, there is no one to even call up when guys hit .120 and play poor defense. 

JR used to say the White Sox were a public trust. Basically the fans were the real owners. If that was how he really felt, he would try to do something to fix this moving forward. But crickets. He is nothing but a  bullshitter.

If I wasn't so invested, and so sad and angry, if this was the Cubs, I'd be laughing my ass off at this organization daily. The organization from top to bottom is a joke. 

Sell the team Jerry.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 4
  • Hawk 1

9 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Steve Greenberg writes Hahn needs to be fired:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/4/27/23701680/white-sox-rick-hahn-pedro-grifol-jerry-reinsdorf-put-it-on-me

Story contains some interesting comments from Manny Machado too. 

Two fans wear paper bags over their heads in apparent disapproval of the Chicago White Sox in the seventh inning against the Tampa Bay Rays at Guaranteed Rate Field on April 27, 2023, in Chicago.

Sorry Steve, but there are no more ifs for Hahn.  He should be fired today.  His fate shouldn’t hinge on anything yet to happen, he has earned his dismissal ten fold. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chimpton said:

No sympathy at all for Hahn, but he has the haunted look of a man who knows his time is up and that nothing he can do will change that, the only trouble is he won't resign and JR doesn't look like he will fire him anytime soon.

The job looks to have taken a toll on him.  I don’t doubt the exasperation is genuine as he struggles to BS his way through another media scrum.  But there is zero sympathy for him from me.  He isn’t a hostage.  He may or man not be in any danger of being fired, but no one is forcing him to stay in a job he is clearly not qualified for.  He should resign, take his many degrees, and go find his bliss, cuz it’s sure not running a successful baseball operation.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Steve Greenberg writes Hahn needs to be fired:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/4/27/23701680/white-sox-rick-hahn-pedro-grifol-jerry-reinsdorf-put-it-on-me

Story contains some interesting comments from Manny Machado too. 

Two fans wear paper bags over their heads in apparent disapproval of the Chicago White Sox in the seventh inning against the Tampa Bay Rays at Guaranteed Rate Field on April 27, 2023, in Chicago.

More bullshitting from the biggest bullshitter hahn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

The job looks to have taken a toll on him.  I don’t doubt the exasperation is genuine as he struggles to BS his way through another media scrum.  But there is zero sympathy for him from me.  He isn’t a hostage.  He may or man not be in any danger of being fired, but no one is forcing him to stay in a job he is clearly not qualified for.  He should resign, take his many degrees, and go find his bliss, cuz it’s sure not running a successful baseball operation.  

Good post. No Sympathy from me either. He could have saved face when Jerry imposed Tony on you and resigned In protest. I could have respected him for that. But like a little b**** he took it. Now f*** off incompetent fool

• Like 7
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Good post. No Sympathy from me either. He could have saved face when Jerry imposed Tony on you and resigned In protest. I could have respected him for that. But like a little b**** he took it. Now f*** off incompetent fool

I'm not sure if he has an ounce of integrity or credibility left.  There must be some fantastic perks for him, cuz he looked miserable yesterday trying to put any kind of spin on this debacle.  Just resign dude, and go make gobs of money elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomtom said:

“We probably weren’t quite as smart as we were viewed to be then,” Hahn said, “and perhaps not quite as stupid as we may be viewed to be now.”  Well, he's half right!

It's the Ole we are harder on ourselves than anyone trick to avoid real accountability. He is still hanging on to the first half of 2021 and winning a crap division as his saving grace. "OH but remember you guys liked the rebuild in 2018, so you can't be mad now." 

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

They know they won't be fired. Its their way of showing fake accountability.  If they really felt as much responsibility as they claim, they would have resigned citing incompetence. Telling JR, if you aren't going to fire us, we will fire ourselves. Hahn saying he needs to "continue to earn" when the f*** did he ever earn it? 2 winning seasons in 11 years, and 1 was a 60 game season fans couldn't even attend. Think about it, he has been the GM 11 seasons and only 1 of those seasons could you buy tickets to go see a good team, and really that was only the first half before they became mediocre again.  I doubt there is a GM with a tenure that long that has ever been as consistently bad. 

The excuses are ridiculous. Players are learning a system? This isn't football. If the system is chase less, why are they almost all chasing more? How in the world could that be part of the process, and if it was, why did they not prepare to be historically bad for a while? 

The team is just bad. They have failed at their jobs. KW and Hahn need to go away. Take Getz with you. There has to be someone they could hire to run the minor leagues who can develop players enough so when they are called up they don't look like they just started playing baseball last week.

We look at the product on the field and see total failure. We don't even mention they can't even call anyone up. Their minor league system is so bad and so injured, there is no one to even call up when guys hit .120 and play poor defense. 

JR used to say the White Sox were a public trust. Basically the fans were the real owners. If that was how he really felt, he would try to do something to fix this moving forward. But crickets. He is nothing but a  bullshitter.

If I wasn't so invested, and so sad and angry, if this was the Cubs, I'd be laughing my ass off at this organization daily. The organization from top to bottom is a joke. 

Sell the team Jerry.

They are addressing the horrible play now so they don't have to in a few months. This is all about fake accountability as you say. As the season progresses, and the losses pile up, apathy and exhaustion will set in with both the fans and media. No one will care enough to even ask these clowns much of anything, and they can turn on their out of office responder and hit the links come mid summer.