AL Central Records since Apr 29

Greg Hibbard

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

JR and other owners of teams in the Central time zone fought for years to get out of divisions with west coast teams. They aren't going to go back. It will end up being 8 divisions of 4, just like the NFL.

That would be all types of stupid. Guess they want under .500 teams making the postseason after 162. Brilliant. 

Just now, flavum said:

That would be all types of stupid. Guess they want under .500 teams making the postseason after 162. Brilliant. 

Only way they do 4 divisions of 8 is if they break up the AL and NL and do a full on geographic realignment. Central teams will absolutely fight having division opponents on the west coast.

SD, LAD, LAA, SF, OAK(LV), SEA, ARI, COL

HOU, TEX, KC, STL, MIN, MIL, CHW, CHC

NSH*, DET, CLE, CIN, PIT, ATL, TB, MIA

MON*, TOR, BOS, NYY, NYM, PHI, BAL, WAS

• Like 1

CBS Sportsline had a deep story on this a month or so ago. The idea of eight, four team divisions is on the table as well as four eight team ones. There are also different playoff-type scenarios that the author heard were on the table as far as number of teams, if post season teams would be seeded based on record et al. 

8 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Only way they do 4 divisions of 8 is if they break up the AL and NL and do a full on geographic realignment. Central teams will absolutely fight having division opponents on the west coast.

Yes, this is what they should do. Play the 7 teams in your division 13 games= 91

And if they like playing every team so much, the other 24 teams x 3= 72

That’s 163. Subtract 1 or flip 82 and 81 home games year to year.

Edited by flavum

1 minute ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

.600 is what the OP pointed out that they’ve played in this stretch.

Also is Minnesota going to play this poorly?  And Cleveland?  And Detroit?

Yes, I also pointed out that 79 games might win this division. You said nobody thought the Sox would go .600, much less .500 the rest of the way. Do you stand by your statement that this team won't win more than 76 games? .500 from here on out gets them to 77-85. 

8 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Yes, I also pointed out that 79 games might win this division. You said nobody thought the Sox would go .600, much less .500 the rest of the way. Do you stand by your statement that this team won't win more than 76 games? .500 from here on out gets them to 77-85. 

Yes I think .500 is their ceiling and they won’t reach that.  Especially once they sell at the deadline.

I still think they lose 90+.

Edited by FloydBannister1983

42 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Cubs and Sox in same division is so modern baseball. Trying anything to save the game which allegedly is boring to younger generations and growing stale to older generations. For some reason I've gone from knowing almost every big leaguer to knowing only the superstars plus all members of the Sox. I can't name 3 Cubs which is insane. I can name a few Royals position players (Chicagoans Massey and Lopez) and Greinke. That's about it. All I know is Cubs and Sox should not be in the same division. Gimmick, dumb, desperation of baseball.

Edited by greg775

26 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

.500 from here on out gets them to 77-85. 

I understand the sentiment but all I look at is Sox are 4 games out in early June. That's all we need to know. That's nothing. All the numbers and projections don't really matter IMO.

• Like 1

I get less purist as I age.  Seems backwards of typical old curmudgeonry.  

Give me more fans excited about playoffs.  
Give me a selection show where the top seeds pick their opponents with trash talking.  
Not opposed to steroids coming back either.  

18 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I understand the sentiment but all I look at is Sox are 4 games out in early June. That's all we need to know. That's nothing. All the numbers and projections don't really matter IMO.

If the Sox can't even have a final record of one game over .500 they don't deserve to be in the playoffs in my opinion.

Them (or anyone) getting in with a losing record would be a complete farce, an absolute joke.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The White Sox are 15-11 VS the AL Central.

12-24 against everyone else.

Go look at who we have beat over this 20-14 stretch.

Tampa X1

Minnesota X2

Cincinnati X2

Kansas City X4

Houston X1

Cleveland X4

Detroit X4

LAA X1

NYY X1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

If they are going with a balanced schedule they should get rid of divisions altogether.

They are doing what every sport but football does and football can't play 31 games. 

They will not get rid of divisions as it keep things interesting for more teams and generates interest throughout the year.   

2 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

The 1984 Tigers beg to differ.

They still played .606 ball after April.

The second place Blue Jays were .549, and the AL West winners were .519.

They had a hot April, but still played championship-caliber baseball the rest of the season.

23 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

They are doing what every sport but football does and football can't play 31 games. 

They will not get rid of divisions as it keep things interesting for more teams and generates interest throughout the year.   

Oh I know they won’t rid themselves of the divisions but it makes no sense once you go to a balanced schedule.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I'm 100% down for this. Intra-city and intra-state (and intra-country for Canada) rivalries can happen in every division. I was looking at North, South, East, West, but didn't like my South division. I think I had Houston, Texas, Atlanta, Tampa Bay. Miami, Washington, Baltimore, and Nashville*. Awesome job!

Edited by WilliamTell

33 minutes ago, JoeC said:

They still played .606 ball after April.

The second place Blue Jays were .549, and the AL West winners were .519.

They had a hot April, but still played championship-caliber baseball the rest of the season.

Wow I stand corrected.  I thought they cooled off a lot more than that after the 35-5 start.

The Royals we’re a disaster that year.  1984 still one of the worst years.  Especially with Tom Seaver.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Cubs and Sox in same division is so modern baseball. Trying anything to save the game which allegedly is boring to younger generations and growing stale to older generations. For some reason I've gone from knowing almost every big leaguer to knowing only the superstars plus all members of the Sox. I can't name 3 Cubs which is insane. I can name a few Royals position players (Chicagoans Massey and Lopez) and Greinke. That's about it. All I know is Cubs and Sox should not be in the same division. Gimmick, dumb, desperation of baseball.

Witt, Jr., Sal Perez and Pasquantino?  Melendez? 

15 hours ago, greg775 said:

Why on earth should two teams in the same city not be in the same division? That’s what makes the most sense. 

Cubs and Sox in the same division would be awesome. 

27 minutes ago, T R U said:

Why on earth should two teams in the same city not be in the same division? That’s what makes the most sense. 

Cubs and Sox in the same division would be awesome. 

Have never done it with Yankees/Mets, A’s/Giants, Dodgers/Angels, Orioles/Nationals…

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Have never done it with Yankees/Mets, A’s/Giants, Dodgers/Angels, Orioles/Nationals…

Yeah I get that, but if they were doing away with the current format to fit 32 teams I would hope that would change.

53 minutes ago, T R U said:

Yeah I get that, but if they were doing away with the current format to fit 32 teams I would hope that would change.

Having 8 pennant races is a lot more fun than just four or two with a bunch of wild cards mixed in if if if the talent is distributed relatively equally.

Of course, you can argue that the Central teams in both divisions would never be able to compete with the coasts…echoing where the majority of GDP growth and wealth is being generated.  This is also largely reflected in tram payrolls as well as attendance, with very few exceptions.

It’s largely not the Rust Belt and Midwest anymore…accompanied by the elitist “flyover territory” stereotype.

Then again, maybe those teams should be forced to compete and innovate in ways they’re not doing right now.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Having 8 pennant races is a lot more fun than just four or two with a bunch of wild cards mixed in if if if the talent is distributed relatively equally.

Of course, you can argue that the Central teams in both divisions would never be able to compete with the coasts…echoing where the majority of GDP growth and wealth is being generated.  This is also largely reflected in tram payrolls as well as attendance, with very few exceptions.

It’s largely not the Rust Belt and Midwest anymore…accompanied by the elitist “flyover territory” stereotype.

Then again, maybe those teams should be forced to compete and innovate in ways they’re not doing right now.

There would still be two pennants.

Four team Divisions are ludicrous if your also including “wild cards”. If you can’t beat out three other teams during an 162 game season, you sure as hell shouldn’t be crowned “World Champion” for winning a farcical three week playoff scheme.

The whole scheme is to allow teams to not compete. If it were about the sanctity of competition, there would be four divisions housing 7-8 teams, and the four Division winners would play in the LCS to determine the WS.

Not this 12-14-16 team playoff bullshit.