Jerry Move The Team or Sell

Texsox

On 6/15/2023 at 1:30 PM, ThirdGen said:

I don't own a baseball team, but if I did own a baseball team that had maybe 40% market share in a very large market, but that market was getting smaller and was not economically what it used to be, I think I would consider a move to get 100% market share in an area with growth and better overall economic prospects.  Particularly if I had a lease expiring in 6 years, very little chance of the government building me something new in the location of my choice, and other locations willing to help build a revenue generating baseball palace.  I actually think that decision is almost simple.  Think Brooklyn Dodgers.

Since Young Jerry was devastated by the loss of his beloved Dodgers this may be a bad example.  It might be the only reason that he hasn't moved the team.  

• Fire 1

39 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Since Young Jerry was devastated by the loss of his beloved Dodgers this may be a bad example.  It might be the only reason that he hasn't moved the team.  

Say what you want about JR but he did keep the team in Chicago when Florida wanted the team. Eddie Einhorn wanted to move the team to Florida. Einhorn bad mouthed the White Sox fans so much he actually was in fear of his life and hired body guards to protect him. When the team didn't move to Florida,  Einhorn sold most of his shares of the White Sox to JR.  Einhorn then disappeared from the scene and was rarely seen in Chicago.

26 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Say what you want about JR but he did keep the team in Chicago when Florida wanted the team. Eddie Einhorn wanted to move the team to Florida. Einhorn bad mouthed the White Sox fans so much he actually was in fear of his life and hired body guards to protect him. When the team didn't move to Florida,  Einhorn sold most of his shares of the White Sox to JR.  Einhorn then disappeared from the scene and was rarely seen in Chicago.

Would be very interested to read more about the Einhorn/body guards story. Do you have any links?

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Would be very interested to read more about the Einhorn/body guards story. Do you have any links?

I don't have any links but I remember writer Jerome Holtzman writing about it. Before the final stadium vote Holtzman wrote that Einhorn questioned how big the White Sox fan base actually was. Holtzman pointed out that the team drew over 2 million fans a few years earlier. (in 1983 and 84) Einhorn bad mouthed the white Sox fans so much he was getting threats on his life. He hired body guards and was all set to move to Florida a few days after the stadium vote.  Looking back at it  I would liked to punched him in the mouth. He did  nothing but harm to the franchise when he was here. I was surprised to see him in the parade after they won the 2005 World  Series.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Zero chance the Sox move out of Chicago.  The only question that matters at this time is when will the Reign of Rick Hahn end.  Dude may have the worst resume of any major league sports GM with 10+ years of experience.  I 100% get that Jerry is the root of the problem, but if they hired a qualified candidate from outside the organization (think Mike Chernoff), there would at least be some reason for hope.

There's really nothing Hahn is good at anymore. He used to be a good contract guy but that time passed long ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elrockinMT said:

I just wish this sell the club , Jerry needs to die and move the team nonsense would just stop. At the end of the season 28 other teams can be called losers too. I don’t see Reinsdorf as the problem 

You don't think Jerry is a problem? 

I have said before, as a human being (especially for a billionaire) Jerry is a good person in a lot of areas. I'm not gonna wish death or pain on a guy like that. Sure he's lived a privileged life, and he absolutely has flaws, but he's done a lot of good and honestly seems like a great boss... sadly for us lol

• Like 2

On 6/15/2023 at 9:31 AM, Texsox said:

Since you don't seem interested in selling, pack your bags and get a deal in Charlotte. Maybe folks there will engage enough to keep a beat writer. But Chicagoans are tired of your horrible mismanagement. Maybe in a couple years a real team will move in on the Southside or share a new stadium with the Bears in Arlington Heights. 

You've worn out your welcome. Your threat to move got you a new stadium, this time go. Just when we think this is the low point something comes along to realize it will just keep getting worst. 

No. We dont want the team to move. We want him to sell. Why would you make a post like this?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sarava said:

No. We dont want the team to move. We want him to sell. Why would you make a post like this?

Then a better franchise could move in. Even an expansion would be better. Make him earn back some fans. 

It may also have been hyperbole. :gosox1:

I don't own a baseball team, but if I did own a baseball team that had maybe 40% market share in a very large market, but that market was getting smaller and was not economically what it used to be, I think I would consider a move to get 100% market share in an area with growth and better overall economic prospects.  Particularly if I had a lease expiring in 6 years, very little chance of the government building me something new in the location of my choice, and other locations willing to help build a revenue generating baseball palace.  I actually think that decision is almost simple.  Think Brooklyn Dodgers.

Lolol. Move to Nashville which has a million people. 

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I don't have any links but I remember writer Jerome Holtzman writing about it. Before the final stadium vote Holtzman wrote that Einhorn questioned how big the White Sox fan base actually was. Holtzman pointed out that the team drew over 2 million fans a few years earlier. (in 1983 and 84) Einhorn bad mouthed the white Sox fans so much he was getting threats on his life. He hired body guards and was all set to move to Florida a few days after the stadium vote.  Looking back at it  I would liked to punched him in the mouth. He did  nothing but harm to the franchise when he was here. I was surprised to see him in the parade after they won the 2005 World  Series.

Jerry and Eddie went down to the field and clubhouse in Detroit when they clinched in 2005.

I shook Jerry's hand and congratulated him, but then felt like this afterward.

• Haha 1

It would be nice if Jerry simply held his front office accountable for failing over and over and over and over and over… you get the point. And when Jerry goes to events saying “you don’t need to win to have successful years of business” Yeah… it’s evident the man has lost his edge and it’s time to walk into the sunset. The guy simply isn’t a winner nor aspires to ever be a winner or a cut throat go all-in type owner.

He could have signed Bryce “freakin” Harper for crying out loud or any of these superstar free agents over the last 3-4 years. Must be nice being a Phillies or Padres fan! We were told a string of lies during the rebuild to “trust the process”. So when it was time to be buyers, rather than getting superstars, they end up getting B level (cheaper) free agents. Sox only ever acquire B level free agents. So it doesn’t matter if it’s post rebuild, or during some retooling bullcrap. The Sox will always be mired in mediocrity.

Sadly, if the Rays or Indians had the Sox mediocre  payroll, they’d be world beaters. But our front office never puts a premium on scouting and development and their mlb draft results as a whole have been piss poor.

This franchise is in such a dogcrap spot. One of the worst farm systems in baseball. An aging/often injured core that likely has poor trade value and a manager who seems in over his head. This season is lost. We all know it.

How on Earth can Rick Hahn be in charge of a 3rd rebuild? His track record is brutal!  What’s the alternative? Jerry actually firing his front office at age 87? Wont happen. Does Kenny and Rick have the class and grace that Paxson had with the Bulls and simply resign? I doubt it. Why piss away an awesome salary knowing damn well that no other team in baseball wants you on their staff.

Long story short, sox fans are doomed until the sale of Jerry’s stake and/or Michael inherits the majority stake and goes all Rocky Wirtz style for our beloved White Sox… we can only hope that one day, Sox fans can one day actually have “nice things too” as RH once boldly said. 

Edited by GreatScott82
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, GreatScott82 said:

It would be nice if Jerry simply held his front office accountable for failing over and over and over and over and over… you get the point. And when Jerry goes to events saying “you don’t need to win to have successful years of business” Yeah… it’s evident the man has lost his edge and it’s time to walk into the sunset. The guy simply isn’t a winner nor aspires to ever be a winner or a cut throat go all-in type owner. He could have signed Bryce “freakin” Harper for crying out loud or any of these superstar free agents over the last 3-4 years. Must be nice being a Phillies or Padres fan! We were told a string of lies during the rebuild to “trust the process”. So when it was time to be buyers, rather than getting superstars, they end up getting B level (cheaper) free agents. Sox only ever acquire B level free agents. So it doesn’t matter if it’s post rebuild, or during some retooling bullcrap. The Sox will always be mired in mediocrity. Sadly, if the Rays or Indians had the Sox mediocre  payroll, they’d be world beaters. But our front office never puts a premium on scouting and development and their mlb draft results as a whole have been piss poor. This franchise is in such a dogcrap spot. One of the worst farm systems in baseball. An aging/often injured core that likely has poor trade value and a manager who seems in over his head. This season is lost. We all know it. And how on Earth can Rick Hahn be in charge of a 3rd rebuild? His track record is brutal!  What’s the alternative? Jerry actually firing his front office at age 87? Wont happen. Does Kenny and Rick have the class and grace that Paxson had with the Bulls and simply resign? I doubt it. Why piss away an awesome salary knowing damn well that no other team in baseball wants you on their staff. Sox fans are doomed until the sale of Jerry’s stake and/or Michael inherits the majority stake and goes all Rocky Wirtz style for our beloved White Sox… we can only hope that one day, Sox fans can one day actually have “nice things too” as RH once boldly said. 

I appreciate your sentiments but it would be a lot easier to make heads or tails out of this if you'd use paragraphs. 

On 6/15/2023 at 5:57 PM, GreenSox said:

I don't want him moving the team.  I don't care if he sells.
What I want I want is a new Front Office.

NO!!! You don’t understand, peasant!! I am tired of them and want them to leave, so they must go!! You want a new front office?? Well, who the hell cares what you or any other Sox fan wants?? It’s all about ME. 

On 6/15/2023 at 1:24 PM, reiks12 said:

This human being is an 87 year old billionaire who has lived one of the most luxurious of lives known to man. I don't wish death on him personally but i wouldnt give a s%*# if he choked on a pretzel tomorrow. In fact I would probably pop open a bottle of champagne. Call me a disturbed individual I don't care. 

“I have never wished death on anyone but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.”

I don’t think it’s 40%

On 6/16/2023 at 9:06 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Zero chance the Sox move out of Chicago.  The only question that matters at this time is when will the Reign of Rick Hahn end.  Dude may have the worst resume of any major league sports GM with 10+ years of experience.  I 100% get that Jerry is the root of the problem, but if they hired a qualified candidate from outside the organization (think Mike Chernoff), there would at least be some reason for hope.

I totally agree and if you found the right executive he could be successful regardless of the having an inept owner around. Although it would be better with a new owner. 

Mike Chernoff would be an outstanding choice! He checks all the boxes:

1. Young: - 42 yrs old

2. Smart: Princeton grad

3. Played baseball - Princeton - SS

4. Experience: Extensive within the Cleveland Organization.

- Intern

- Asst. Director of Baseball Operations

- Director of Baseball Operations

- Asst. General Manager

- General Manager

Most importantly, Chernoff has this solid experience from a winning culture that has always had a strong farm system and always one of the lowest payrolls in baseball. Thus they know how to win via scouting, drafting and developing their own players within the Cleveland farm system. 

The only problem is, to get a guy with Chernoff's credentials, Jerry would have to get rid of his stubbornness and ignorance. He would have to be willing to promote Chernoff to President of baseball operations with full authority and a hefty raise.

Let's think back to a team that did something similar to this 8 years ago. Bingo, that would be Andrew Friedman GM to Pres from the Rays to the Dodgers. 

Once the ballpark is too old, does anyone see the White Sox staying in Chicago regardless of who owns the team? Nobody will want to pay for a stadium for a sport that no one cares about for a team that Chicago baseball fans care even less about. Do you envision the city kicking in any money? Or there being profit to be had for developers by building a 'ballpark district' on 35th street? What's happening to the A's will happen to the Sox, history be damned. Baseball team owners are also real estate developers and there's much more money to be had building condos and restaurants in Oakland than the south side of Chicago. Unfortunately the A's aren't the Giants and the Sox aren't the Cubs. 

On 6/15/2023 at 12:44 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

It is in his contract that JR has the power to sell or not sell regardless of what the minority owners want. Literally they have no say in the matter, none. It is completely up to him if he wants to sell or to whom he'd want to sell the club.

When JR leaves the scene he has already publicly said, and he's been consistent about it in those rare times it has come up, that his wish is for his family to keep the Bulls and sell the White Sox. 

The current minority owners who are all about the same age as JR do not have the capital to buy the team which is why many are speculating the next owner will be a corporation. 

GOOGLE.

They are slowly establishing a foothold here.

Why not ?

They could buy CWS, build a high-tech sports / entertainment complex and hire elite Decision Makers and On-field difference-makers - all out of petty cash.

Edited by GradMc

4 hours ago, nrockway said:

Once the ballpark is too old, does anyone see the White Sox staying in Chicago regardless of who owns the team? Nobody will want to pay for a stadium for a sport that no one cares about for a team that Chicago baseball fans care even less about. Do you envision the city kicking in any money? Or there being profit to be had for developers by building a 'ballpark district' on 35th street? What's happening to the A's will happen to the Sox, history be damned. Baseball team owners are also real estate developers and there's much more money to be had building condos and restaurants in Oakland than the south side of Chicago. Unfortunately the A's aren't the Giants and the Sox aren't the Cubs. 

The stadium issue is a legit question. I asked this once of a high ranking member of the front office just this past winter and was told that subject (i.e. new stadium) has never come up in any meeting they attended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The stadium issue is a legit question. I asked this once of a high ranking member of the front office just this past winter and was told that subject (i.e. new stadium) has never come up in any meeting they attended.

Yeah I legitimately can't see a path to a new ballpark unless the climate apocalypse happens and northern Illinois's population doubles. But a new park won't be an issue in JR's lifetime so it makes sense that they're not talking about it.

His kid couldn't care less about baseball and the Bulls print money no matter how terribly they're run. I think when he dies, the Sox are sold off and suddenly the ballpark will become an issue for new ownership. The city won't kick in money for a new one unless the whole area can be profitably redeveloped (I think it could be. the YUPification east of that area is already in full swing) but there are likely far more desirable markets for a new owner. Pretty much the only hope is that Michael Reinsdorf actually feels some sense of loyalty to the city of Chicago and the fans that made his dad and him incredibly wealthy -- but that seems unlikely.