Brian Anderson takes over Northwestern Baseball Program on interim basis

11 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They finally fired this turd but not before he set off a flame thrower to the place.  Good luck, Brian!

He arguably should have been gone way before Fitz for a lot more reasons 

26 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Right.  His asst coaches quit and filed a lawsuit during the season.  What were they waiting for. Did they think because it's baseball it was all just going to go away. 

I think they hoped it would go away because Foster was on a new contract under a fairly new regime and they knew it was gonna look real bad.  And let’s be real honest here, we had no real idea until last Friday when Fitz got in trouble so they may have gotten away with it

Northwestern fired their second scumbag coach this week.

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2023/07/northwestern-fires-baseball-coach-jim-foster-amid-bullying-allegations.html

Assistant coach Brian Anderson, a former MLB player who won a World Series with the White Sox in 2005, will take leadership of the baseball program on an interim basis.

• Thanks 1

I had no idea Brian Anderson was an assistant coach there. Best of luck to him. He always seemed like a decent fellow. This also allows me to bring up an old pet peeve of mine regarding Ozzie Guillen's managing. I still contend that if Ozzie would have just let Brian play the majority of the time in CF in 2006, they make the playoffs that year.

• Fire 1

I hope Brian instills a better work ethic in his players then he had with the Sox (as he himself has admitted and from what I was told about him from some mainstream media members who watched him during his time with the Sox)

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I hope Brian instills a better work ethic in his players then he had with the Sox (as he himself has admitted and from what I was told about him from some mainstream media members who watched him during his time with the Sox)

Sometimes the best teachers are those who have screwed up and experienced the consequences.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

3 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

WTF is wrong with Northwestern? Maybe the AD needs to be fired as well. 

Has there been any proof that the head coaches knew about these things? From what I’ve seen, there isn’t.

32 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Has there been any proof that the head coaches knew about these things? From what I’ve seen, there isn’t.

As Michael Wilbon said, who is a very loyal NU alumni, huge donor to the school and on the Board of Trustees and personally knew Fitzpatrick well, regardless if whether he knew it was happening or not, it's still his fault. The head coach is responsible for setting a culture and positive environment on that team and in that locker room where hazing and being a bully could never happen. It also shows a lack of mature leaders on that team, that wouldn't step up and stop it.

2 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Jim Foster was the source of this abuse. Half his staff and team left after a single season. Players weren't open to disclosing injuries or work with trainers for fear of retaliation.

A player died under his watch at his previous school which paid over $1M settlement. It's all in the articles written this week.

Next stop, Guaranteed Rate.

JR probably feels he deserves another shot after being pulled from center in 2006.

That will REALLY drive Ozzie crazy (if he's still alive and kicking on the postgame show) to see this move actually come to fruition.

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

As Michael Wilbon said, who is a very loyal NU alumni, huge donor to the school and on the Board of Trustees and personally knew Fitzpatrick well, regardless if whether he knew it was happening or not, it's still his fault. The head coach is responsible for setting a culture and positive environment on that team and in that locker room where hazing and being a bully could never happen. It also shows a lack of mature leaders on that team, that wouldn't step up and stop it.

I guess I’m just tired of the current overall culture of allegations automatically leading to firings.

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jim Foster was the source of this abuse. Half his staff and team left after a single season. Players weren't open to disclosing injuries or work with trainers for fear of retaliation.

A player died under his watch at his previous school which paid over $1M settlement. It's all in the articles written this week.

I guess I didn’t really pay attention to the baseball side of the story. I’ve only heard about the football coach. I still don’t agree with your first sentence of the thread. I can see why you’d call Foster a scumbag, but not sure Fitzgerald deserves that title as of now.

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Army Way went out of fashion with Knight and Coach K.

(Have had some decent football seasons from time to time.)

1 minute ago, Milkman delivers said:

I guess I’m just tired of the current overall culture of allegations automatically leading to firings.

I guess I didn’t really pay attention to the baseball side of the story. I’ve only heard about the football coach. I still don’t agree with your first sentence of the thread. I can see why you’d call Foster a scumbag, but not sure Fitzgerald deserves that title as of now.

Institutional accountability.

The buck stops here.

Etc.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Institutional accountability.

The buck stops here.

Etc.

I can get on board with that. Just don’t think it automatically makes Fitzgerald a bad person that it happened during his tenure. He may not have been aware.

And I didn’t know who he was before this week.