2023 College Football Thread

I uh….what?

just got an ESpN phone app alert about…Hitler and Michigan State. So this is both real and …yeah. I’m surprised I needed to say this, but I preferred having the number of ESPN alerts I’ve gotten about Hitler to be 0 and am disappointed that changed.

22 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Brian Ferentz fired by Iowa effective after the bowl game. Beggars can't be choosers, would love to see him gone before then, but at least this nightmare has an end date.

Shocked that happened with losses of McNamara All Lachey...but Deacon Hill performances causing most faithful fans to rethink their appetite for another five to ten years of Ferentz ball with PAC 10 teams arriving on the scene soon to wipe out Big 10 West.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Bears may have been boring Thursday night, but NU and Illinois were anything but boring today.  Two nice wins for the local guys.

Looks like Illinois found a QB there.

On Heisman watch, I don’t think he’ll win over a PAC QB but to me Jayden Daniel’s season beats anyones. Especially because in spurts without him they look pedestrian.

And lastly, thank you to Mizzou for giving me this team when all my Chicago follows are atrocious. Cody Schrader is such a cool story, but would have never guessed he would become Christian mccaffrey basically.

Probably could have just rode him to a Georgia victory instead of passing.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Jimbo Fisher fired. Texas A and M has to pay him $76  million not to coach , which is more money than JR ever gave another teams free agent

Interesting coming off a huge win over Miss St....will go 7-5 or 8-4 if they could knock off LSU in season finale.

Heisman:  Penix Daniels Nix seem like as good a final 3 as any.  Penix might have lost frontrunner spot these past two weeks.

McCarthy definitely needs a huge Michigan win over OSU with bigger numbers after pedestrian game at PSU. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Interesting coming off a huge win over Miss St....will go 7-5 or 8-4 if they could knock off LSU in season finale.

Heisman:  Penix Daniels Nix seem like as good a final 3 as any.  Penix might have lost frontrunner spot these past two weeks.

McCarthy definitely needs a huge Michigan win over OSU with bigger numbers after pedestrian game at PSU. 

Harrison will win if he goes off vs Michigan 

On 11/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, Dick Allen said:

Jimbo Fisher fired. Texas A and M has to pay him $76  million not to coach , which is more money than JR ever gave another teams free agent

Boosters most have pledged an additional $80 million

On 11/12/2023 at 1:05 PM, Dick Allen said:

32 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Boosters most have pledged an additional $80 million

College sports' finances is something I'll never understand.  How does that work with Texas A & M being a public / state school, too?

3 hours ago, Big Hurtin said:

College sports' finances is something I'll never understand.  How does that work with Texas A & M being a public / state school, too?

Donations. The athletic department spends a lot of time soliciting donations. That money goes directly to the programs. Plus all of the TV revenue, stadium advertising . . .

Not a TAM candidate but Barry Odom has completely turned around UNLV in one year. He showed a real knack for coordinator hiring while at Mizzou (Heupel, Ryan Walters) but just couldn't recruit enough (drinkwitz initially couldn't find the best assistants but could recruit and fixed the latter).

I think a year or two of success and he should get a call for a major program again. Get one that has innate recruiting and he could be a really dominant hire.

I'm very curious to see how ND handles Gerad Parker and if the school admin will finally allow Marcus Freeman to hire who he wants. They balked at the buyout of the guy he wanted prior to this season. If they had a better OC, they're probably knocking on the door of being a playoff team. 

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

I'm very curious to see how ND handles Gerad Parker and if the school admin will finally allow Marcus Freeman to hire who he wants. They balked at the buyout of the guy he wanted prior to this season. If they had a better OC, they're probably knocking on the door of being a playoff team. 

It's not all on Parker. Their WR are not good vs man coverage and Hartman has been less than advertised. Also the RB have been awful on blitz pickup. I think you have trouble getting a quality guy to come if you're pulling the trigger on the current guy after one season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/plaschke-room-hot-seat-lincoln-024318051.html

If Riley/Williams are going to the Bears, they desperately will need an outsider to raise the level of the defense somehow…

After all the drama the last two years and transfers taken with him…OU fans have to be feeling better about Venables.  Would have been right there without the Andrel Anthony season-ending injury.

6 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Iowa's offense against USC's defense is the bowl game we all need.

The resistable force against the movable object.

Without Cooper DeJean, Iowa would be run off the field by MU/OSU and it has already happened against PSU.  (Well, who knows with MI at this point the way that team has been hit by controversy and shaky offense.)

They only have had a competitive championship game with MSU...who consequently got boatraced by Bama.

Basically on second QB and #3/4 TE for half the season...and a slew of running backs have been in and out.