Fire Chris Getz

South Side Hit Men

1 hour ago, almagest said:

Man I miss that guy, especially when he shoves it up the Cubs' behind

Not to give the Cub any credit but that made my day. He owned them today  

2 hours ago, almagest said:

Man I miss that guy, especially when he shoves it up the Cubs' behind

I haven't studied the deal. Did the Sox get any can't miss stars in the Cease deal? Cause he, Crochet and Clevinger plus Lynn who we coulda signed for pennies would have actually been a decent rotation. It doesn't take much to contend and the Sox with their moves almost don't ever want to contend again. Disgraceful team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I haven't studied the deal. Did the Sox get any can't miss stars in the Cease deal? Cause he, Crochet and Clevinger plus Lynn who we coulda signed for pennies would have actually been a decent rotation. It doesn't take much to contend and the Sox with their moves almost don't ever want to contend again. Disgraceful team.

Thorpe (starter) has a 1.01 ERA in AA and was MiLB Pitcher of the Year last year. Iriarte (starter) has a 1.46 ERA in AA. Samuel Zavala (CF/RF) is struggling in A+ but is still only 19.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, greg775 said:

There's no way Lynn was coming back...even if they overpaid him, which was also never going to happen.

Odds are that Clevinger will struggle like theajority of players that get started a month or more late into the season.

Crochet can only give you 80-100 innings this year...most were guessing 80ish before the season.

That might give you a 70-75 win team and an even lower draft pick in the first round.  No appreciable attendance difference, probably.

Edited by caulfield12

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, almagest said:

Thorpe (starter) has a 1.01 ERA in AA and was MiLB Pitcher of the Year last year. Iriarte (starter) has a 1.46 ERA in AA. Samuel Zavala (CF/RF) is struggling in A+ but is still only 19.

We should have a thread just following that trade in the future. If Thorpe and Iriarte are great, then that's big time. But I was trying to point out how it doesn't take much to contend as the Twins prove every year. Cease and Crochet are two pretty good starters with other ones who were available if Jerry would spend a few dollars. I don't care either way I just want to win and all these sub .500 seasons are dismaying.

Edited by greg775

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

We should have a thread just following that trade in the future. If Thorpe and Iriarte are great, then that's big time. But I was trying to point out how it doesn't take much to contend as the Twins prove every year. Cease and Crochet are two pretty good starters with other ones who were available if Jerry would spend a few dollars. I don't care either way I just want to win and all these sub .500 seasons are dismaying.

Get used to the new reality my friend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Get used to the new reality my friend. 

It's pretty sad when we have to write off next season as being as bad as this one and "maybe" in 2026 the Sox will be a .500 team or better. I still don't see how it's a good business decision to be a non factor from April to October 2024 then be a non factor all offseason and again a non factor the entire 2025 campaign. Sox are lucky baseball is different from real-life businesses or the team would go broke and simply close its doors.

56 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It's pretty sad when we have to write off next season as being as bad as this one and "maybe" in 2026 the Sox will be a .500 team or better. I still don't see how it's a good business decision to be a non factor from April to October 2024 then be a non factor all offseason and again a non factor the entire 2025 campaign. Sox are lucky baseball is different from real-life businesses or the team would go broke and simply close its doors.

Very true. The domestic and international sources for income in MLB is at an all-time high. The sport is now by Manfred's own admission making 10 Billion a year. The last thing JR worries about is the win/loss record. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Very true. The domestic and international sources for income in MLB is at an all-time high. The sport is now by Manfred's own admission making 10 Billion a year. The last thing JR worries about is the win/loss record. 

Win/loss record?  No.

Debits/credits T-chart?  Yes.

On 4/23/2024 at 9:35 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Chris Getz - 2024 Players Acquisition Tracker

Pitchers:

• Erick Fedde:  5.29 xERA | -0.1 fWAR
  • Mike Soroka:  6.96 xERA | -0.3 fWAR
  • Chris Flexen:  6.46 xERA | 0.0 fWAR
  • Jared Shuster:  2.55 xERA | 0.1 fWAR
  • Steven Wilson:  2.43 xERA | 0.2 fWAR
  • John Brebbia:  7.27 xERA | 0.0 fWAR
  • Tim Hill:  5.28 xERA | 0.0 fWAR
  • Bryan Shaw:  7.41 xERA | -0.1 fWAR
  • Dominic Leone:  8.27 xERA | -0.5 fWAR

Hitters:

• Martin Maldonado:  -53 wRC+ | -0.7 fWAR
  • Nickly Lopez: 47 wRC+ | -0.1 fWAR
  • Paul DeJong: 145 wRC+ | 0.5 fWAR
  • Braden Shewmake:  13 wRC+ | -0.3 fWAR
  • Dominic Fletcher:  73 wRC+ | -0.1 fWAR
  • Kevin Pillar:  98 wRC+ | 0.1 fWAR
  • Robbie Grossman:  70 wRC+ | -0.1 fWAR

So adding it all up, Getz added 16 players to the roster and through 21 games has been able to get -1.4 fWAR from them.  Just for fun, these guys are on pace to provide roughly -11 fWAR on a straight line basis.  That is beyond Rick Hahn levels bad.

Fire Chris Getz and bring in someone who has actually accomplished something beyond just snitching out the past incompetent regime!

Grade: F-.   Only winner is JR with a reduced payroll, and enjoying MLB revenue sharing regardless.

Thank god for Rick Hahn.

Who would have guessed that his graveyard hour trades for Lee and Quero, Nastrini et al would be the last decent talent we’d see enter the org for the foreseeable future.

All hail haber and his computer, much preferable to org chart Getz 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, pcq said:

7 IP 11 K 0 Runs 1 Hit

Cease’s start yesterday against the Cubs was the first time in Statcast history (past 9 years) that a starting pitcher didn’t give up a single “hard hit ball” (95 MPH or higher exit velocity).  Mike Tauchman made an out that was at 94.6 MPH exit velocity.