It’s official - Getz named SVP & GM

NCsoxfan

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If anyone happened to be willing to message me with the part of this Rosenthal article on the White Sox and their opposition to diversity I’d appreciate it.

Stop. The first organization to have a Black manager and general manager at the same time (Manuel and Williams) is not opposed to diversity. There are so many things to be upset over, this is not one of them. I get that had they done it, an actual search would be required rather than internal garbage, I get that. But Jerry has always prided himself on diversity and rightfully so. It's okay though, because now they'll be forced to take on a diverse hire for another leadership role whether they deserve it or not. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Wow. The stories of front office meddling on 1st round draft picks sure is damning too. Telling scouting directors no, you can't take that player. Mentioned Haber in specific as well.

What a freaking embarrassment. Good riddance. I'm assuming Haber has less pull now with Getz in charge. 

Edited by ron883

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Oof the talk of outside scouts burying Jacob Gonzalez is not what I want to hear. But it surely tracks.

Pretty much concluded there is no impact to be seen. An average regular at best if he pans out.

I just don’t get how they could draft someone who within two months, their stock completely crashed.

Just now, fathom said:

Or possibly more?

Good god I hope not. Honestly, my hope is that Getz saw how these chumps with no baseball playing experience (Hahn and Haber) f***ed this organization into the ground, and is ready to completely disregard his opinion. Not that you have to play baseball to be a good front office GM, but those guys didn't play AND they sucked. 

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Wow. The stories of front office meddling on 1st round draft picks sure is damning too. Telling scouting directors no, you can't take that player. Mentioned Haber in specific as well.

“With :30 seconds left in their selection time on draft day JR would say things like “You know this college right-handed pitcher has the lowest injury risk.”

4 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

Did anyone else catch what former Sox farmhand Luis Curbelo tweeted this morning? I can't find it but I wanted to share. 

It’s here already on one of the threads.

Guess we’ll have another week of Carson Fulmers, Z.Collins and Burdi’s befuddled by how he actually landed the job.

Edited by caulfield12

I was very disappointed by the interview Reinsdorf gave to the media and that he ruled out signing Ohtani with a laugh, that he did not interview people outside of the organization and that he went with an internal hire. I don’t like the Getz hire because he’s an internal candidate, he oversaw a minor league system that hasn’t produced beyond a mediocre level and has scandals with Wes Helms and Omar Vizquel. I would not like a Dayton Moore hire as an advisor to Getz even with the experience he has had and the turnaround the free spending Texas Rangers have had. I also really didn’t like how Burger was dealt and there was a disconnect between Hahn and Williams.

Having said all of that, Getz is now in charge. If he started by dealing away some players to retool this roster and not bringing in expensive aging guys like Salvador Perez, that would be a positive. I would also feel a bit better if Gets brought in some scouts, analytics people and an advisor from a team like the Dodgers, Rays or Braves organization for diversity of thought. Replacing some of the existing folks with some new blood would be a step in the right direction. I know JR might not allow him to do this, but those are things that would make me feel better about the direction of this organization even with the internal hire.

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“With :30 seconds left in their selection time on draft day JR would say things like “You know this college right-handed pitcher has the lowest injury risk.”

I like to consider myself a decently honest person, but I’ll admit that I’d be tempted in that scenario to immediately lie or stall out those 30 seconds. “Yeah, terrible character issues, though”, “he’s very out of shape”, a distracted “yeah, I - hang on, one sec, Jerry - take (player I wanted) - I’m sorry, Jerry, what was that again?”

30 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Having said all of that, Getz is now in charge. If he started by dealing away some players to retool this roster and not bringing in expensive aging guys like Salvador Perez, that would be a positive.

Considering the sorry state of the team's locker room (hustle on the field is dismal, no TWTW) a signing of Perez shouldn't anger anybody. He's the closest thing to back in the day when the Sox signed Fisk. Grandal was a horrible player for the Sox. He couldn't hit a bit and provided no noticeable leadership. I would say people should not freak if/when Getz acquires Perez. The Sox are in a crisis stage. Normally you don't have to address intangibles, just get the best players. Not now. Sox need a Perez or two willing to speak up. Keep Elvis as a backup and maybe he and Perez can work on the locker room.

Maybe give TA some incentives in his contract so he'll hustle more. Or name TA captain or something to wake him up. I think we all should be outraged if Moncada is back, not signing Perez who is needed to help the culture.

Edited by greg775

• bmags unpinned this topic