Sunday afternoon gamethread Detroit @ Sox

wegner

1 minute ago, chetkincaid said:

When Renteria was here. The team played for him. 

What has Grifol done to deserve another season?

This team is obviously lying when they say they think they can compete next season. If they really thought that, there is no way they would be bringing back Pedro.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wegner said:

This team is obviously lying when they say they think they can compete next season. If they really thought that, there is no way they would be bringing back Pedro.

He has two more years to go on his contract, that matters a lot to JR.

I was just doing some research on Roland Hemond trying to find some historical information and a number of the stories talked about his days with the Sox in the early 1970's and what he did in the early 1980's.

The thought hit me and made me so wistful for those days when summers were fun, the Sox were worth supporting and the players they had seemed to give a damn.

Not like the absolute s%*#, incompetence, dysfunction and ineptness that permeates all the way from top to bottom in this organization today. 

It just turns my stomach and makes me ill. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I keep wondering why on earth they insist on bringing Bummer in from the pen. Every time I see him on the mound, I automatically assume he'll give up runs, and probably lose the game. Just like today. I wish they had traded him in July. Worthless. I know he's a lefty, but so are Banks and Peralta. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, racingmann said:

I keep wondering why on earth they insist on bringing Bummer in from the pen. Every time I see him on the mound, I automatically assume he'll give up runs, and probably lose the game. Just like today. I wish they had traded him in July. Worthless. I know he's a lefty, but so are Banks and Peralta. 

The crazy thing is the perception is always that Banks sucks and Bummer's the much better pitcher, but you wouldn't know it from looking at their numbers.

That said, Bummer keeps getting thrown into high leverage situations regardless of the results or reverse splits.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Yup. The same guy Soxtalk wanted gone

Monday Morning QB.

But also because it has been so long since the Sox had a really good or at least above-average manager, Guillen from 2004-2008, roughly.

Hardly anyone remembers how good some of those managers in the 1950's and 60's like Al Lopez were.  Almost all of the recent comparisons are with the truly bad Sox managers like Ventura or Bevington.  Well, at least he's better than XYZ, or it could be worse?...Sox fans aren't even getting THAT level of quality recently.

Edited by caulfield12

43 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Yup. The same guy Soxtalk wanted gone

Renteria was never going to lead the White Sox to a title. He did his job developing and getting them to the playoffs.

It isnt soxtalks fault that the White Sox’s owner needed to replace him with pale empty husk of a coach.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Monday Morning QB.

But also because it has been so long since the Sox had a really good or at least above-average manager, Guillen from 2004-2008, roughly.

Hardly anyone remembers how good some of those managers in the 1950's and 60's like Al Lopez were.  Almost all of the recent comparisons are with the truly bad Sox managers like Ventura or Bevington.  Well, at least he's better than XYZ, or it could be worse?...Sox fans aren't even getting THAT level of quality recently.

Paul Richards, Marty Marion, Al Lopez and Eddie Stanky probably were the best stretch of managers at least in my lifetime. That was part of the reason the Sox had 17 straight winning years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The crazy thing is the perception is always that Banks sucks and Bummer's the much better pitcher, but you wouldn't know it from looking at their numbers.

That said, Bummer keeps getting thrown into high leverage situations regardless of the results or reverse splits.

Yep, Banks went how many shutout innings today? A full 3 at least.

6 hours ago, wegner said:

Nothing.  They are keeping him because he has  a 3 yr contract and the Sox mgt. don’t want to have to pay 2 managers next season IMO.

8 hours ago, wegner said:

When are all those stories going to come out about Madrigal being a bad teammate like I heard? That was another bad trade and I thought so at the time. 

Particularly when we did not need an expensive closer at the time.  Hahn’s love for relievers cost us in this trade.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Kopech needs to be shut down for the rest of the year to get his mental approach working again. He needs another break like he took in 2020 (of course that may be part of the problem, he costs himself valuable time pitching)

Maybe he's not good. Just more false hype we've been fed.