2023-24 NHL Threadard

bmags

I’ve watched two partial games. Sadly, I don’t really know how to watch much more than “is the puck going toward the net or not” but getting better.

Not sure I’d be able to tell you by end of year anything knowledgeable about Korchinsky unless he like scores a bunch probs

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I’ve watched two partial games. Sadly, I don’t really know how to watch much more than “is the puck going toward the net or not” but getting better.

Not sure I’d be able to tell you by end of year anything knowledgeable about Korchinsky unless he like scores a bunch probs

Good chance he isn't with the Hawks most of the year. Depends what they want to do, but most likely going to send him back to his club last year since he can't go to the AHL

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Why is that?

As a reminder, due toe Canadian Hockey League rules, Korchinski isn't eligible to play in the American Hockey League this season, so it's either the NHL or the WHL. If he plays in more than nine games, the first year of his entry-level contract will be burned. I don't think the Blackhawks are too worried about that. In fact, they might even prefer it so he can get to his second contract quicker.

The real key number to watch is 40 games. If Korchinski reaches that number, it counts as a full NHL season, which would get him to unrestricted free agency a year quicker than if he didn't (one of the ways a player can become a UFA is by accruing seven full seasons). I would be surprised if he surpassed that total.

My prediction is that Korchinski will play somewhere between 10 and 39 games before he's eventually sent back to the WHL. He's almost a lock to make Team Canada's roster for the 2024 IIHF World Junior Championship and will likely play a significant role.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks/kevin-korchinski-made-opening-night-roster-but-is-his-spot-with-blackhawks-permanent/512565/

1 hour ago, Tony said:

As a reminder, due toe Canadian Hockey League rules, Korchinski isn't eligible to play in the American Hockey League this season, so it's either the NHL or the WHL. If he plays in more than nine games, the first year of his entry-level contract will be burned. I don't think the Blackhawks are too worried about that. In fact, they might even prefer it so he can get to his second contract quicker.

The real key number to watch is 40 games. If Korchinski reaches that number, it counts as a full NHL season, which would get him to unrestricted free agency a year quicker than if he didn't (one of the ways a player can become a UFA is by accruing seven full seasons). I would be surprised if he surpassed that total.

My prediction is that Korchinski will play somewhere between 10 and 39 games before he's eventually sent back to the WHL. He's almost a lock to make Team Canada's roster for the 2024 IIHF World Junior Championship and will likely play a significant role.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks/kevin-korchinski-made-opening-night-roster-but-is-his-spot-with-blackhawks-permanent/512565/

I guess it’s just kinda out of order to me. Build some chemistry and then get sent down with different guys for the latter half

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I guess it’s just kinda out of order to me. Build some chemistry and then get sent down with different guys for the latter half

He’s 19, he’s got plenty of time to gel and mesh with the team. If he’s who the Hawks want him to be, they’ll want that extra year of control 

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, more victims are out there.

Article contains graphic language of the alleged incidents. Rick Westhead has been tenacious covering the various hockey abuse issues throughout youth, juniors, minors, National teams and the NHL, including the various scandals within the Wirtz NHL Organization over the years.

https://www.tsn.ca/blackhawks-accused-of-institutional-negligence-as-second-former-player-launches-suit-1.2031918

This was already in the 2021 report with this player so not exactly new info. The player is just deciding now to come out. 

What this does say is what many in the know have said all along. John McDonough is a grade A piece of s%*# of a human being who held this from Rocky until s%*# hit the fan. 

• TLR 1

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

His second goal... 

He's the real deal and a marked man.

Hawks are going to need more offensive firepower fast.

If they just had a decent powerplay and a couple more speed offensive guys (talented with the puck , good passers) they could be a playoff team right now.

Can't have Foligno and Perry  as stables of the PP. They are too slow.  They're fine if you can get the PP  set up but the Hawks just don't have the offensive talent to use  them in front of the net. I love me Foligno and Perry and they have important roles to play in guiding the young guys.

Until then  Bedard is taking too many hard hits and will be injured soon if they don't accelerate the rebuild  to surround him with better talent.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's the real deal and a marked man.

Hawks are going to need more offensive firepower fast.

If they just had a decent powerplay and a couple more speed offensive guys (talented with the puck , good passers) they could be a playoff team right now.

Can't have Foligno and Perry  as stables of the PP. They are too slow.  They're fine if you can get the PP  set up but the Hawks just don't have the offensive talent to use  them in front of the net. I love me Foligno and Perry and they have important roles to play in guiding the young guys.

Until then  Bedard is taking too many hard hits and will be injured soon if they don't accelerate the rebuild  to surround him with better talent.

He'd be a "marked man" on whatever team he played for. He's 18 and the most hyped prospect since McDavid, and in fact I think because he's in Chicago, they've been hyping him more than even McDavid got. 

The rebuild is right on schedule. It's no secret they need more firepower. It will come.