2023 World Series- Rangers/Dbacks

flavum

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

Don't you think it's fun that underdog teams made it? Did you really want to watch a repeat of the Astros and Phillies? Or to perpetually see the Dodgers and Yankees there? 

btw I tend to think the relevance of TV ratings is declining. I'm 30 and don't have cable, I imagine that's true of most everyone in my age group or younger. I illegally stream games because why wouldn't I? The quality is the same and it's incredibly easy to do. Now my dad does it so he doesn't have to sign up for "roku" hockey and baseball. I still have to look at the TV ads, I just don't factor in for the ratings. 

consider the even younger generation of sport fans who are primarily only interested in watching highlights on TikTok, buying merchandise and gambling. Seems to me that the MLB is doing a better job of capturing new fans with their updated social media policies. Additionally, franchise values continue to soar in every sport despite declining TV ratings across the board. These media rights contracts are obviously a giant source of revenue, but I'll be eyeing the NBA's new deal for the 2025-26 season. The NBA is supposedly expecting the AAV of the deal to increase from $2.7B to $6.8B despite plummeting ratings. 

nbaviewingvshutlevels.png

Not to mention the proliferation of fantasy leagues and illegal and legal gambling that's helping to drive interest in younger/more statistically oriented fans.

Interest in Asia and worldwide due to Ohtani.

WBC with best ratings and excitement in ages despite loss of Edwin Diaz.

Increasing interest in Mexico Caribbean and Latin America.

Tennis and golf especially are under threat these days.

NASCAR ratings have fallen dramatically.

Soccer is crushing everything in its path worldwide and even the US is starting to catch up there.

Women's college basketball set ratings and attendance records OTOH.

It's not a singular story of MLB declining because revenues and profitability are still higher compared to NBA and LeBron is on his last legs.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

Younger generations aren't as interested in sports these days.

When I was a kid there was less distractions. We didn't need organized sports.  Houses use to have lots or there were fields to play baseball. Schools didn't resemble penal institutions and you could go shoot hoops on a playground.

Edited by kitekrazy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, nrockway said:

Don't you think it's fun that underdog teams made it? Did you really want to watch a repeat of the Astros and Phillies? Or to perpetually see the Dodgers and Yankees there? 

btw I tend to think the relevance of TV ratings is declining. I'm 30 and don't have cable, I imagine that's true of most everyone in my age group or younger. I illegally stream games because why wouldn't I? The quality is the same and it's incredibly easy to do. Now my dad does it so he doesn't have to sign up for "roku" hockey and baseball. I still have to look at the TV ads, I just don't factor in for the ratings. 

consider the even younger generation of sport fans who are primarily only interested in watching highlights on TikTok, buying merchandise and gambling. Seems to me that the MLB is doing a better job of capturing new fans with their updated social media policies. Additionally, franchise values continue to soar in every sport despite declining TV ratings across the board. These media rights contracts are obviously a giant source of revenue, but I'll be eyeing the NBA's new deal for the 2025-26 season. The NBA is supposedly expecting the AAV of the deal to increase from $2.7B to $6.8B despite plummeting ratings. 

nbaviewingvshutlevels.png

The Yankees haven’t been to the World Series since 2009.  They are almost in Soxville.

The Dodgers went 29 years between appearances before 2017/2018.  The Royals have the same recent experience.  So do the Rangers.

I think “perpetually” is a stretch.

Edited by FloydBannister1983
Spelling

Imagine having both Garcia and Arozarena and letting them go...

Sandy Alcantara, Zac Gallen and Michael Wacha on the pitching side.

Go Cardinals!

Already has broken the David Freese all-time postseason RBI record from back in the day culminating against Tex for StL in the WS.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

MLBN must be getting ESPN disease and have wiped the White Sox existence out of their memory.  I just heard Greg Amsinget say last night's walk off home run was the 1st World Series walk off  home run since Kirk Gibson. Sorry Scotty Pods.

Probably just Game 1 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

MLBN must be getting ESPN disease and have wiped the White Sox existence out of their memory.  I just heard Greg Amsinget say last night's walk off home run was the 1st World Series walk off  home run since Kirk Gibson. Sorry Scotty Pods.

In Game 1 of the series...

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Imagine having both Garcia and Arozarena and letting them go...

Sandy Alcantara, Zac Gallen and Michael Wacha on the pitching side.

Go Cardinals!

Already has broken the David Freese all-time postseason RBI record from back in the day culminating against Tex for StL in the WS.

Wacha really doesn't belong in that group. 

But yeah, the Cardinals have let a lot go in the past 5 years or so that they really should not have. Weird turn for an org that usually doesn't miss on trades and prospects. 

Edited by chw42

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Wacha really doesn't belong in that group. 

But yeah, the Cardinals have let a lot go in the past 5 years or so that they really should not have. Weird turn for an org that usually doesn't miss on trades and prospects. 

Just included him for his 2.6 fWAR this season but obviously not the potential loss those other two represent.  He'd plateaued after early career brilliance, playoff success then lots of injuries.