Paul Janish Hired as Director of Player Development

DirtySox

13 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

OMFG TLR is still involved with decision making FML. 

Any organization that willingly avoids any information or opinion is making a mistake. The key is what they do with that information. 

"Tony, wake up. What do you think about this guy?"

"I like him. Good hire."

Now comes the key. A good organization will keep looking based on his track record post HoF induction ceremony. Our problem is we don't. 

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

Any organization that willingly avoids any information or opinion is making a mistake. The key is what they do with that information. 

"Tony, wake up. What do you think about this guy?"

"I like him. Good hire."

Now comes the key. A good organization will keep looking based on his track record post HoF induction ceremony. Our problem is we don't. 

While what you write about it being idiotic to refuse information is true, I’m not sure you realize how much of an indictment of the White Sox it is.

They could have gotten vastly more information in their GM search, they should have done so, any professional business would have done so, but the White Sox ardently refused. They did not interview outside the organization, they didn’t interview people of diverse backgrounds, they didn’t interview anyone.

They as an organization literally said “these guys on other teams are smart and educated and know baseball in their current jobs and that’s the kind of opinions and information we absolutely don’t want to hear.” 

I said at the time that if they actually our together a true GM search, that wouldn’t mind LaRussa being involved. He knows the owner and the organization and he has certain types of experience that would be useful, but it needed to be balanced out by others through a professional search process.

For the utterly rigged joke that we got, it’s not surprising that LaRussa would be involved. You said it yourself that any organization refusing information is making a mistake, LaRussa being involved in the White Sox making that mistake fits perfectly with my impression of him.

23 hours ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

When you can duplicate 10 years of sucking for 2 good teams that only really won in the playoffs because of an all time great bullpen (which is mostly luck) you have to try to do that.

This is mostly true but those Royals teams were historically good at not striking out.  That is what set them apart for those years.

https://www.billjamesonline.com/contact_speed_and_the_2014_royals/