Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Dodgers have given up good players in trades.  

Definitely not the Betts deal…that was horrific for Boston, ultimately. Essentially wiped out two GM’s.

At keast one other team is going to have to offer a comparable amount of talent or LA will just wait out Getz.

Unless the Giants massively improve, nobody can really push them…we will see what staying power AZ has.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Burger always had a great hit tool before the two Achilles injuries.  The major question was always defensively…just like this kid.

Whether he can stick at third or second.

But Burger was the #1 college bats to a number of scouts that year…worst-case, #3.

Maybe the top power, but Adam Haseley was placed above him (and picked above him). Same for Pavin Smith. And Keston Hiura. McKay was a two-way player, but same deal.

Like, Burger was very much not the #1 bat in that draft and got mocked well below where the Sox took him. There's no need to rewrite history because he had a great 2023 and the Sox traded him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Could Busch make sense (for 3B) if they thought that Ramos could play 2B? I know nothing about how either of their defense is overall.

I know nothing of his D, but if scouts think he's too slow and limited for 2B, I question whether he would have the quickness for the hot corner. Or the arm. But I leave that for those who know more about him than I.

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Could Busch make sense (for 3B) if they thought that Ramos could play 2B? I know nothing about how either of their defense is overall.

Imo...Montgomery will likely end up at 3B and Busch at 1B, so if Ramos can play 2B well that would be huge. I have no clue if he can. I thought he was playing 3B because he had a good arm. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I've heard it in lots of places that Montgomery ends up at 3B over past few days. He might ultimately but he'll be a big league shortstop to start his career. 

Jimmy....what about Gonzalez?

I know his bat has been underwhelming but what about his defense at shortstop to date? 

If they trade with BAL, they can solve this issue real easily with Ortiz. 

57 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

From what I have read, Ramos could play at 2B but would be a below average defender whereas at 3B he’s probably an average fielder or slightly better.  I think if you add Busch you accept he’s a bat only player and put him at 1B and tell Vaughn he’s your DH for the 2024 season and better start to fucking hit.

46 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Well then it makes sense to target a guy who can stick at SS in the Cease trade.

I’m only moving Montgomery off SS if you can get a plus glove SS like Ortiz as the second piece in a Cease trade.  Otherwise, I think you need to keep him at SS until he outgrows the position because it would force Ramos to non-ideal defensive position.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m only moving Montgomery off SS if you can get a plus glove SS like Ortiz as the second piece in a Cease trade.  Otherwise, I think you need to keep him at SS until he outgrows the position because it would force Ramos to non-ideal defensive position.

Doesn't Ramos have a good arm?

If so, could he be a corner outfielder (RF) if/when CM is moved to 3rd?

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kjerstad or Cowser + Ortiz is really the obvious solution here, it’s just a matter of it Baltimore will stop prospect hugging and give them up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Doesn't Ramos have a good arm?

If so, could he be a corner outfielder (RF) if/when CM is moved to 3rd?

I believe it’s like half a grade above average, but wouldn’t be special in RF and wouldn’t compensate for the fact his range would likely be limited.  I think the hot corner is his best spot unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Kjerstad or Cowser + Ortiz is really the obvious solution here, it’s just a matter of it Baltimore will stop prospect hugging and give them up.

It’s 100% the solution.  Gives you potentially a very complete lineup with your only major hole at at 1B/DH, which is the one spot we can afford to go after top end guys (such as Alonso next year).

• 1B: Free Agent
  • 2B: Montgomery*
  • SS: Ortiz
  • 3B: Ramos
  • LF: Benintnedi*
  • CF: Robert
  • RF: Kjerstad*
  • DH: Vaughn
  • CA: Quero#

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s 100% the solution.  Gives you potentially a very complete lineup with your only major hole at at 1B/DH, which is the one spot we can afford to go after top end guys (such as Alonso next year).

Vaughn doesn't hit enough for 1B, I certainly don't want to pencil him into the DH spot (as of now).

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That would be an awesome lineup. If they could then somehow cobble together some alternative value to send to LAD (since Cease went to BAL) for Busch and plug him in at the 1B hole it would be perfect.

There just isn't the value anywhere else imo that's movable but like you said they can definitely afford to buy a 1B.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

That would be an awesome lineup. If they could then somehow cobble together some alternative value to send to LAD (since Cease went to BAL) for Busch and plug him in at the 1B hole it would be perfect.

There just isn't the value anywhere else imo that's movable but like you said they can definitely afford to buy a 1B.

Anytime you look ahead to future lineups banking on prospects, you need the asterisks next to names: *if the player develops.

• Like 1