10 for your personal Hall of Shame

wegner

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm surprised at the repeated inclusion of Royce Clayton. Maybe just for unrealized dreaming. He moved Ozzie Smith to 2B and was reviled for that, right? 

In 2001, I was in Minneapolis for work meetings. It was the week of the season that was moved from the 9/11 week to the end of the season. I wound up in the same hotel as the White Sox, so I kept running into them all day. Royce and Maggs were sitting in the bar area. I went up to Magglio Ordoñez, called him Paul Konerko, and said I was his biggest fan. Royce Clayton busted up at that. Every time I'd run into Clayton on the elevator or the lobby, he was always cordial. I was wearing a Sox jacket, so maybe they thought I worked in marketing, or something. 

I once heard it described this way....the White Sox replaced Jose Valentin, a guy who would run through a wall for his teammates, at SS with Royce Clayton, a guy who would complain "who put this wall here?!?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

For me:

1. Todd Ritchie
2. Billy Koch
3. Adam La Roche
4. Brett Lawrie
5. Jeff Smardzija
6. Royce Clayton
7. Jamie Navarro
8. David Wells
9. Nick Swisher
10. Adam Eaton 2.0

Billy Koch. I had definitely memory-holed him. Ritchie, Navarro, and Wells I know were bad, but I have no recollection of their time here thankfully.

1 hour ago, pmb0928 said:

I will just add 1 player who should be on there. Yonder Alonso. 

Signed for 2 years and 9 million dollars so we could entice his brother in law to the team. He had positive WAR all prior years and had over 20 HRs in his last 3 full seasons. He proceeded to hit .178, have a -1.5 WAR in only 67 games with a whopping 7 HRs. He was out of baseball the next year. 

Yonder Alonso. Holy s%*#. 

Add Nomar Mazara to the list too.

• Like 1

I wanted to say Alex Rios, but I'm more love/pity with the guy. He fell off a table for a couple of seasons, and had a great year. During his negative WAR season, I remember one particular play. Guy on first, single to CF. Rios squares up, gathers it in, goes to throw, and notices the runner from 1st rounding 3rd to score. His shoulders just slumped as if to say, "Hey, no fair!" He just looked so beaten. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I wanted to say Alex Rios, but I'm more love/pity with the guy. He fell off a table for a couple of seasons, and had a great year. During his negative WAR season, I remember one particular play. Guy on first, single to CF. Rios squares up, gathers it in, goes to throw, and notices the runner from 1st rounding 3rd to score. His shoulders just slumped as if to say, "Hey, no fair!" He just looked so beaten. 

He was inconsistent for sure. Down year, then good year, then down year again. I also remember multiple instances of him dropping routine flyballs. 

Nvm, I might have just talked him into my honorable mentions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No particular order, as as a 31 year old, keeping it to players only.

- Yonder Alonso

- Hanser Alberto

- Adam LaRoche

- James Shields

- Nick Swisher

- Brett Myers

- Dallas Keuchel

- Omar Vizquel

- Adam Eaton, solely because he called a 13-year-old a leader

- Mark Kotsay, because it was Ozzie's stupid love of him that led to Thome having a 1.000+ ops for the Twins and obliterating a walk -off against Thornton, helping kill the team's playoff hopes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He was inconsistent for sure. Down year, then good year, then down year again. I also remember multiple instances of him dropping routine flyballs. 

Nvm, I might have just talked him into my honorable mentions.

He also is the reason why we had Leury Garcia if that weighs on your decision

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wegner said:

I believe his nickname was The Road Runner? I seem to remember Harry or Jimmy saying meep meep when he ran down the 1B line. Anyway, I saw in his obituary from 2020 that he was a 5 tool OF!!

From what I just gleened from Baseball Ref it looks like both Claudell and Garr are both still living.

Both weren't bad for the Sox from my memory which might rival yours for accuracy but Washington did have a lot talent but his effort was always questioned. Garr had his best years with the Braves ( career .306 BA with maybe a batting title in there) and Washington with the A's.

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I feel like posters have to include ages for context ha I literally don’t know who this is so he wouldn’t be on my list:

Part of 1978, all of 1979 and part of 1980. Had the tools but the joke about him was “Washington Slept Here”. The word hustle was alien to him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

From what I just gleened from Baseball Ref it looks like both Claudell and Garr are both still living.

Both weren't bad for the Sox from my memory which might rival yours for accuracy but Washington did have a lot talent but his effort was always questioned. Garr had his best years with the Braves ( career .306 BA with maybe a batting title in there) and Washington with the A's.

I remember liking Ralph Garr. 

Don't remember much about Claudell. It looks like he did die at the young age of 65 in 2020 after a battle with cancer. That sucks.

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Every game I attended in person with Joey Cora in a White Sox uniform....every one....he did something either stupid or made an error at a key time in the game or failed miserably at the plate.  I'm more of a Durham/Iguchi/Bernazard guy myself. Also loved Jorge Orta.

But I will not argue with you that I am one of the best.

I saw him make stupid plays too many times.  I also loved Tony Bernazard and it took me a while to forgive Julio Cruz for not being Bernazard.

• Thanks 1

I wish I could remember the name of the relief pitcher that goes with the following story....I was at a not very crowded game with my wife years ago and the Sox were getting pummeled and the bullpen started to stir. I saw who got up to warm and said "Oh No". My wife said it couldn't get much worse and I said "wanna bet?" Anyways he warmed up for awhile and we were down the left field line far enough that we heard the bullpen phone ring. Someone else in the crowd yelled "DON'T PICK IT UP!!"

• Haha 2