10 for your personal Hall of Shame

wegner

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

I remember liking Ralph Garr. 

Don't remember much about Claudell. It looks like he did die at the young age of 65 in 2020 after a battle with cancer. That sucks.

I stand corrected. I'm not as good on my phone pulling info ( small screen old eyes).I saw the DOB and didn't see the DOD listed under it which is why I almost exclusively use my computer when fact checking.

Veering off the assignment a bit, but I was looking at past rosters and I think it's hilarious that the following players were on the White Sox: Julio Franco, Dave Righetti, Chris Sabo, John Kruk, Jim Abbott, Tony Phillips, Danny Tartabull, Doug Drabek, Ruben Sierra, Jose Canseco, David Wells, Kenny Lofton, Bartolo Colon, Darin Erstad, Andruw Jones, Ken Griffey Jr, Manny Ramirez, Juan Pierre, Jimmy Rollins

White Sox legends, every one of em

8 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Veering off the assignment a bit, but I was looking at past rosters and I think it's hilarious that the following players were on the White Sox: Julio Franco, Dave Righetti, Chris Sabo, John Kruk, Jim Abbott, Tony Phillips, Danny Tartabull, Doug Drabek, Ruben Sierra, Jose Canseco, David Wells, Kenny Lofton, Bartolo Colon, Darin Erstad, Andruw Jones, Ken Griffey Jr, Manny Ramirez, Juan Pierre, Jimmy Rollins

Don't forget the lengendary White Sox careers of George Foster and Steve Carlton.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wegner said:

I believe his nickname was The Road Runner? I seem to remember Harry or Jimmy saying meep meep when he ran down the 1B line. Anyway, I saw in his obituary from 2020 that he was a 5 tool OF!!

The Road Runner was Ralph Garr, not Claudell Washington. I never had a problem with Garr, he wasn’t the greatest left fielder but he was usually around .300 and never dogged it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The Road Runner was Ralph Garr, not Claudell Washington. I never had a problem with Garr, he wasn’t the greatest left fielder but he was usually around .300 and never dogged it.

December 12, 1975 - In an effort to start improving a desultory offense, Sox G.M. Roland Hemond and new owner Bill Veeck acquired former N.L. batting champ Ralph “Road Runner” Garr from Atlanta for three players including outfielder Ken Henderson and pitcher Dick Ruthven.

Garr would have severe limitations in the field but he did become the catalyst for the “South Side Hit Men” in 1977 with his speed and ability to hit to all fields. That year he’d hit .300 with 10 home runs, 54 RBI’s and 12 stolen bases. He’d also hit .300 the following season, 1978.     

• Like 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Snopek said:

December 15, 1993 - Sox G.M. Ron Schueler’s luck with taking chances on hurt or limited free agents continued when he signed Julio Franco to a contract. Franco would have a tremendous 1994 season hitting behind Frank Thomas. Julio would have 20 home runs, 98 RBI’s, eight stolen bases and a .319 batting average in his one year in Chicago. He went to Japan the next year because the Sox refused to meet his asking price on a new deal and with labor unrest on the horizon wanted some stability.

January 22, 1996 - The Sox dealt two minor leaguers to Oakland for slugger Danny Tartabull.

The enigmatic Tartabull who had as much talent as anyone, but often didn’t show it, put together a very good season on the South Side, with 27 home runs and 101 RBI’s. The two minor leaguers sent to the A’s were never heard from again. Danny then signed a free agent deal with the Phillies the following year.

His best game for the White Sox came in Boston on September 14 that season when he drove in six runs in a 13-5 win at Fenway Park. He went 2 for 4 with two runs scored. Four of his RBI’s came on an eighth inning grand slam. 

Those two guys at least produced when they were a member of the team. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Quin said:

No particular order, as as a 31 year old, keeping it to players only.

- Yonder Alonso

- Hanser Alberto

- Adam LaRoche

- James Shields

- Nick Swisher

- Brett Myers

- Dallas Keuchel

- Omar Vizquel

- Adam Eaton, solely because he called a 13-year-old a leader

- Mark Kotsay, because it was Ozzie's stupid love of him that led to Thome having a 1.000+ ops for the Twins and obliterating a walk -off against Thornton, helping kill the team's playoff hopes.

Hanser, Kotsay, and Keuchel I had pushed out of my memory. Woof. 

I actually don't have a bottom 10. There are guys I was glad exited the team (Keppinger, Leury) but I agree with Gordon Beckham -- you gotta give props to anyone who had a dream and reached the majors. It's really hard to get there. I met a guy once who played at Wrigley Field with the Expos working at a resort in AZ. Years later, he felt it validated all the effort he put in.  Also, I didn't want the entire bottom 10 to be on this year's team and they would've been.

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I actually don't have a bottom 10. There are guys I was glad exited the team (Keppinger, Leury) but I agree with Gordon Beckham -- you gotta give props to anyone who had a dream and reached the majors. It's really hard to get there. I met a guy once who played at Wrigley Field with the Expos working at a resort in AZ. Years later, he felt it validated all the effort he put in.  Also, I didn't want the entire bottom 10 to be on this year's team and they would've been.

Now I feel bad for being too negative. How about naming Sox players who maybe were not the best but you just liked for some reason. I have quite a few of those, but I'll still name a few.... Tim Hulett, Craig Grebeck, Don Pall, Darren Lewis.

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

Now I feel bad for being too negative. How about naming Sox players who maybe were not the best but you just liked for some reason. I have quite a few of those, but I'll still name a few.... Tim Hulett, Craig Grebeck, Don Pall, Darren Lewis.

I know how he left might have turned some fans but I still love Mags and I'm glad he found a home in Detroit and had a legendary moment.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I know how he left might have turned some fans but I still love Mags and I'm glad he found a home in Detroit and had a legendary moment.

My wife loved the ooo eee ooo chant for Maglio.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, wegner said:

Ooooh.  I like this question.  Alan Bannister is probably the top of that list.  Every play at short was an adventure, still liked him.

Scott Fletcher.  I just liked the way he signaled how many outs there were to the outfielders.

Bill Naharodny.  He was awful but he pitched often is blowouts.

Dale Svuem.  Only foul ball I ever got at a game was off his bat.  He was with the Brewers at the time, but still…

• Like 1
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

January 22, 1996 - The Sox dealt two minor leaguers to Oakland for slugger Danny Tartabull.

The enigmatic Tartabull who had as much talent as anyone, but often didn’t show it, put together a very good season on the South Side, with 27 home runs and 101 RBI’s. The two minor leaguers sent to the A’s were never heard from again. Danny then signed a free agent deal with the Phillies the following year.

His best game for the White Sox came in Boston on September 14 that season when he drove in six runs in a 13-5 win at Fenway Park. He went 2 for 4 with two runs scored. Four of his RBI’s came on an eighth inning grand slam. 

Those two guys at least produced when they were a member of the team. 

I thought he would be a star based on the sound of the ball off of his bat in one of his first games when he crushed a HR off of Dewey in what would be his final appearance at Comiskey Park.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198409220.shtml

21 minutes ago, wegner said:

That would be an awesome thread! I hope you create it and it gets more responses than this one.

I have two periods I didn’t follow the White Sox on a close to day to day basis (1995-2003 & 2009-2018), so perhaps someone who listed him can chime in on why Brett Lawrie appeared on several lists.

This is the only thing I remember about the career of Brett Lawrie, and I found it cool he surprised the choral after this video went viral.

Not enough brainpower to come up with a list but I'll say that I've never been able to make myself hate a player just because he wasn't good. Waste of energy to be mad at a guy because Jerry Reinsdorf gave him a contract IMO. On the flip side, I think it's fine to like a guy mostly because he is good at baseball (although it's not required, obviously; see Albert Belle for more details).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jake said:

Not enough brainpower to come up with a list but I'll say that I've never been able to make myself hate a player just because he wasn't good. Waste of energy to be mad at a guy because Jerry Reinsdorf gave him a contract IMO. On the flip side, I think it's fine to like a guy mostly because he is good at baseball (although it's not required, obviously; see Albert Belle for more details).

This. Everyone I listed was because of things off the field (beyond showing up players). Most players try their best, and that is all we as fans should ask for. Everyone has different talent levels.

Doing continuous stupid s%*# without learning and improving is the area I tend to be harder on players than any other. Eloy, Madrigal, Eaton come to mind among recent players. Still doesn’t make them a top ten disliked player. Just want them to learn and stop doing dumb s%*# or just leave.

1 minute ago, Highland said:

David Wells. Expected Sox fans to worship the ground he walked on when he came to Chicago. Turned out to be an out-of-shape fat ass with a big mouth. 5 wins he got. Hell, any skinny guy can do that and not look so ugly.

We sat in the far upper deck and it looked like he puked on the mound and was accordingly pulled after another drinking binge, but it turned out he pulled something trying to field a bunt the game he was pulled after not retiring a single Cub.

Thankfully Carlos Lee bailed him out via a walkoff home run.

It was the only time I ever booed a White Sox player attending games from 1975-2023.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Every time this list comes up I add Jake Peavy because I've never wanted a player to shut up and actually pitch more than him. Never seen a guy talk so much while doing so little. 

Maybe Joe Kelly can fit into this role too? 

I forgot about the JFP—>JFP evolution.  That s%*# sucked