Jerry visits Nashville mayor

Quin

1 minute ago, Lightly Folded said:

I believe the Cubs can (and would) veto an expansion team coming to Chicago or any current team coming to Chicago due to the 250 mile infringement rule.

I agree. The only route I see is a very long shot. Do it as a package. Would the Cubs vote for JR to Nashville and an expansion Sox team in Chicago? 

24 minutes ago, Texsox said:

And . . .

Are we really opposed to Jerry getting us a new stadium in the greater Chicago area? I really don't mind if he leverages Nashville and we wind up playing in a new stadium with a long term, can't leave Chicagoland,  lease. 

But admittedly I'm not paying as much Illinois taxes as I used to. 

Outside of some of the basics (reworking streets, etc), I am opposed to further substantial amounts of taxpayer money going to support Jerry Reinsdorf's family and the other owners. They took the city and state to the cleaners in the last deal. Under no circumstances should the city of Chicago fund a new stadium for this billionaire.

He can absolutely pay for it himself. It's the third largest city and media market in the country, this should absolutely be profitable for him. If he can't make it profitable, then he should sell to someone who can or go bankrupt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/6/2023 at 2:47 PM, almagest said:

Honestly, I would welcome a Sox move. Get the stink of this loser franchise out of the city. Chicago can absolutely host two baseball teams, so MLB would almost certainly put a new franchise there, with a new owner. If Reinsdorf doesn't die anytime soon this is the next best option to get rid of him.

No they will not. Good Lord. 

• Like 2

Sox fan to wife: Oh, come on, now. I'm sure my mother didn't assign you this ethnic dish to make and bring to Christmas Eve dinner to humiliate you. It's her way of including you in our family's traditions. You women just make up things to worry about!!

Headline: Reinsdorf Meets With Nashville Mayor

Sox fan: OMG!!! What if he just springs this on us next June, and we wasted 6 months where we could have been worrying about this 24/7?!?!?

41 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Outside of some of the basics (reworking streets, etc), I am opposed to further substantial amounts of taxpayer money going to support Jerry Reinsdorf's family and the other owners. They took the city and state to the cleaners in the last deal. Under no circumstances should the city of Chicago fund a new stadium for this billionaire.

He can absolutely pay for it himself. It's the third largest city and media market in the country, this should absolutely be profitable for him. If he can't make it profitable, then he should sell to someone who can or go bankrupt.

He also has a responsibility to the share holders. He's not the sole owner, he's not even the majority owner. I like the idea of the club locked into a long term Chicago stadium. 

Where would the money come from to pay for the stadium? Cut payroll? Raise ticket prices? It seems like a tax payer funded stadium benefits Sox fans. 

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

He also has a responsibility to the share holders. He's not the sole owner, he's not even the majority owner. I like the idea of the club locked into a long term Chicago stadium. 

Where would the money come from to pay for the stadium? Cut payroll? Raise ticket prices? It seems like a tax payer funded stadium benefits Sox fans. 

Or he could do what Joe Robbie did in Miami or Peter Magowan did in San Francisco...pay for it himself.

• Haha 1

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

Or he could do what Joe Robbie did in Miami or Peter Magowan did in San Francisco...pay for it himself.

He could. I'm looking at this as a Sox fan. We've had a top five to ten payroll fairly recently and I'd like to think we would do that again. I also would prefer the team was locked into a long term deal in Chicago.

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

He has a responsibility to the shareholders? How has that gone the last 3 years?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He has a responsibility to the shareholders? How has that gone the last 3 years?

Probably not very well so they cut payroll. 

How has shareholder value gone since the present stadium deal has been in place?

54 minutes ago, Texsox said:

@Balta1701 if your argument is it's better for society if teams built their own stadiums or it's unfair to non fans for tax payers to fund stadiums, I agree. 

As a selfish Sox fan, I'm going to say buy them a stadium, a couple free agents, and a manager. 

I see zero reason to think that giving Jerry Reinsdorf money translates to wins. In fact it is the opposite.

Since 2012 attendance has been so low that he triggered one of his amazing clauses with his landlords that dramatically drops the fee he pays to the state. Did this extra money enable him to increase payroll and get better, pushing attendance back up? Naw not at all, instead he used it as a way to have no pressure to fill the stadium. His fees are low when no one comes, so he can employ an endless line of underqualified yes men and sycophants, and let the entire experience deteriorate for everyone. This has gone on for more than 10 years, so clearly it isn’t helping the fans or creating an experience people want.

And hell, go back farther - he had such a secure revenue stream from his ballpark and parking lots and such low fees that he led the owners in violating federal labor law during the strike of 1994 to try to break the union rather than negotiating in good faith, costing the best White Sox team of that decade a chance at the playoff birth they would have gotten (and maybe spoiling one of the best World Series ever as I still want to watch those Sox against the Expos).

They gave him all this money and the lack of pressure to create revenue allowed him to become a bottom feeder, a leech. He doesn’t have to win, he has very low ballpark fees and can endure on revenue sharing dollars, so he doesn’t have to interview outside GMs or listen to anyone who doesn’t tell him how great he is. 

Maybe trickle down wins isn’t a working political philosophy, instead it has left him to trickle down on the fans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I see zero reason to think that giving Jerry Reinsdorf money translates to wins. In fact it is the opposite.

Since 2012 attendance has been so low that he triggered one of his amazing clauses with his landlords that dramatically drops the fee he pays to the state. Did this extra money enable him to increase payroll and get better, pushing attendance back up? Naw not at all, instead he used it as a way to have no pressure to fill the stadium. His fees are low when no one comes, so he can employ an endless line of underqualified yes men and sycophants, and let the entire experience deteriorate for everyone. This has gone on for more than 10 years, so clearly it isn’t helping the fans or creating an experience people want.

And hell, go back farther - he had such a secure revenue stream from his ballpark and parking lots and such low fees that he led the owners in violating federal labor law during the strike of 1994 to try to break the union rather than negotiating in good faith, costing the best White Sox team of that decade a chance at the playoff birth they would have gotten (and maybe spoiling one of the best World Series ever as I still want to watch those Sox against the Expos).

They gave him all this money and the lack of pressure to create revenue allowed him to become a bottom feeder, a leech. He doesn’t have to win, he has very low ballpark fees and can endure on revenue sharing dollars, so he doesn’t have to interview outside GMs or listen to anyone who doesn’t tell him how great he is. 

Maybe trickle down wins isn’t a working political philosophy, instead it has left him to trickle down on the fans.

Post of the month. Very well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Why would someone do this if they didn't need to? 

Its smart business if you can get someone else to foot that bill. 

It's the politicians fault for agreeing to it. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

In his heart of hearts Reinsdorf is still a New York hustler-con artist. He has no empathy for his fan base which he just exhibited by meeting with the Mayor of Nashville (Hooverville on steroids) and then left us in the dark to agonize which he’s probably enjoying. He’s a bully and worships money over anyone and anything. He hasn’t worked for his billions by rather worked the system to a T to his every advantage.

@Balta1701 very good points. Here's where I'm just not understanding based on decades of watching him. The premise is forcing him to spend money on a stadium will force him to spend even more money on players?

I see us turning into the Pirates with a bottom five payroll. You have way more faith in JR than I do. 

Again, in general I'm against taxpayers funding stadiums. I'm just saying as a Sox fan buy us everything and I want the franchise locked into a long term Chicago lease. I'm also thinking a lucrative lease arrangement increases the value of the franchise and might help convince the shareholders to sell sooner. 

1 hour ago, Lightly Folded said:

In his heart of hearts Reinsdorf is still a New York hustler-con artist. He has no empathy for his fan base which he just exhibited by meeting with the Mayor of Nashville (Hooverville on steroids) and then left us in the dark to agonize which he’s probably enjoying. He’s a bully and worships money over anyone and anything. He hasn’t worked for his billions by rather worked the system to a T to his every advantage.

Bill Gleason was convinced of the bolded part right from the start.

And speaking of the start some of these comments may be on interest:

“Our goal is to have a team that is a contender every year.”– Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Sun - Times’ Ray Sons. September 18, 1983.

“For all his interest in what happened between the first- and third-base lines, or between the sidelines and the end lines, he never wavered in his commitment to the bottom line.”–From the book ‘The Jordan Rules’ by Sam Smith. Pg. 49. Published 1991.

“I’ve literally made hundreds of millions of dollars of deals in my life on handshakes. My word means everything to me and I have never, ever given a guy a second chance to get even with me.”–Jerry Reinsdorf to Melissa Issacson. From the book ‘Transition Game’ by Melissa Issacson. Pg.79. Published 1994.

"I always loved sports, and I made enough money from the sale of the company that I didn't need to do something I didn't like. The teams are a significant part of my net worth, but I'm in sports because I love being in sports. I didn't get into sports to make money. I think I've been lucky that during the time I've been involved in sports, the value of sports franchises has gone up.” – Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Sun - Times’ Terry Savage. July 30, 2000.

“Eddie and I never discussed how to talk to reporters. We’ve just been ourselves. I always though Jack Kennedy was the kind of person I looked up to in that regard. He always gave the media a fair shake and understood you guys have a job to do. Without responsible people willing to divulge some accurate information, it’s hard to do it right. It was a much better approach then Nixon, who figured the media, was his enemy. Doing it Kennedy’s way just makes a lot more sense to me. After all, nobody can buy the kind of advertising Chicago teams get. What other line of work finds newspapers assigning people to follow you around and write about how the business is doing every day? At Balcor, we have to hire a public relations firm to get our names in the paper. When baseball teams get that for free, it makes sense to cooperate.” – Jerry Reinsdorf to Bob Logan. From the book ‘Miracle On 35th Street.’ Pg. 154. Published 1983.

“The idea that I must talk to the media in order to know what is going on with our fans or the public is ludicrous. I communicate with fans on an almost daily basis and often hear comments from people on the street and in the ballpark. We have committed a lot of resources to market research each year, whether it is telephone or internet polling, mall intercepts, focus groups or in-park surveys. We believe these surveys are the most impartial way to hear from our fans. I don't think a media interview gives me the same type of insight into what our fans think and feel. Believe me, our fans tell us. They care and they are passionate. I like that about sports. The fact is that I do speak publicly when there is an issue of importance to our fans and to the franchises. I owe that to our fans. But again, I don't really think people want to hear from me or go to the game to see me. I hope not.” – Jerry Reinsdorf quoted on the “official” White Sox web site, www.whitesox.com, August 16, 2004.

'If people stopped coming to the games. If the television money went away. That’s why I don’t like to sign long term contracts with pitchers. It’s one thing to pay a pitcher five million dollars a year, but what if the guy can’t play?–Jerry Reinsdorf, March 1994, to Bob Greene. From the book ‘Rebound, The Odyssey of Michael Jordan’ by Bob Greene. Pg. 65. Published 1995.

"I’m a dove, until they strike." –Jerry Reinsdorf, August 1994. Comment printed in the Chicago newspapers after he spoke with the media from his owner’s box at Comiskey Park.

“It’s obvious we’re disappointed with the way our ballclub has played this year, with our record...no question about it. We were faced with losing Alvarez and Roberto (Hernandez) and getting nothing, as we did with Alex (Fernandez). Now we’ve added a half dozen talented young players. Two or three have a chance of being stars, according to our scouts. . . . If they're half right, we're in great shape." – Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Tribune. August 1, 1997.

Jerry Reinsdorf was a “source of intrigue” and in the future could become a “source of controversy.” –From a story by reporter Linda Kay, Chicago Tribune January 30, 1981.

Edited by Lip Man 1

34 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Bill Gleason was convinced of the bolded part right from the start.

And speaking of the start some of these comments may be on interest:

“Our goal is to have a team that is a contender every year.”– Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Sun - Times’ Ray Sons. September 18, 1983.

“For all his interest in what happened between the first- and third-base lines, or between the sidelines and the end lines, he never wavered in his commitment to the bottom line.”–From the book ‘The Jordan Rules’ by Sam Smith. Pg. 49. Published 1991.

“I’ve literally made hundreds of millions of dollars of deals in my life on handshakes. My word means everything to me and I have never, ever given a guy a second chance to get even with me.”–Jerry Reinsdorf to Melissa Issacson. From the book ‘Transition Game’ by Melissa Issacson. Pg.79. Published 1994.

"I always loved sports, and I made enough money from the sale of the company that I didn't need to do something I didn't like. The teams are a significant part of my net worth, but I'm in sports because I love being in sports. I didn't get into sports to make money. I think I've been lucky that during the time I've been involved in sports, the value of sports franchises has gone up.” – Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Sun - Times’ Terry Savage. July 30, 2000.

“Eddie and I never discussed how to talk to reporters. We’ve just been ourselves. I always though Jack Kennedy was the kind of person I looked up to in that regard. He always gave the media a fair shake and understood you guys have a job to do. Without responsible people willing to divulge some accurate information, it’s hard to do it right. It was a much better approach then Nixon, who figured the media, was his enemy. Doing it Kennedy’s way just makes a lot more sense to me. After all, nobody can buy the kind of advertising Chicago teams get. What other line of work finds newspapers assigning people to follow you around and write about how the business is doing every day? At Balcor, we have to hire a public relations firm to get our names in the paper. When baseball teams get that for free, it makes sense to cooperate.” – Jerry Reinsdorf to Bob Logan. From the book ‘Miracle On 35th Street.’ Pg. 154. Published 1983.

“The idea that I must talk to the media in order to know what is going on with our fans or the public is ludicrous. I communicate with fans on an almost daily basis and often hear comments from people on the street and in the ballpark. We have committed a lot of resources to market research each year, whether it is telephone or internet polling, mall intercepts, focus groups or in-park surveys. We believe these surveys are the most impartial way to hear from our fans. I don't think a media interview gives me the same type of insight into what our fans think and feel. Believe me, our fans tell us. They care and they are passionate. I like that about sports. The fact is that I do speak publicly when there is an issue of importance to our fans and to the franchises. I owe that to our fans. But again, I don't really think people want to hear from me or go to the game to see me. I hope not.” – Jerry Reinsdorf quoted on the “official” White Sox web site, www.whitesox.com, August 16, 2004.

'If people stopped coming to the games. If the television money went away. That’s why I don’t like to sign long term contracts with pitchers. It’s one thing to pay a pitcher five million dollars a year, but what if the guy can’t play?–Jerry Reinsdorf, March 1994, to Bob Greene. From the book ‘Rebound, The Odyssey of Michael Jordan’ by Bob Greene. Pg. 65. Published 1995.

"I’m a dove, until they strike." –Jerry Reinsdorf, August 1994. Comment printed in the Chicago newspapers after he spoke with the media from his owner’s box at Comiskey Park.

“It’s obvious we’re disappointed with the way our ballclub has played this year, with our record...no question about it. We were faced with losing Alvarez and Roberto (Hernandez) and getting nothing, as we did with Alex (Fernandez). Now we’ve added a half dozen talented young players. Two or three have a chance of being stars, according to our scouts. . . . If they're half right, we're in great shape." – Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Tribune. August 1, 1997.

Jerry Reinsdorf was a “source of intrigue” and in the future could become a “source of controversy.” –From a story by reporter Linda Kay, Chicago Tribune January 30, 1981.

Laughing now about the idea of Mike Caruso ever becoming a star...but I guess you had Lorenzo Barcelo there as well, with Keith Foulke and Howry.

Foulke was very good with the Sox for the majority of his time, but certainly not a "star" by most descriptions.   More like All-Star caliber in a number of seasons.

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Nobody wants the Sox. They have a perfectly decent stadium on their own property. Highway access is superb. The owner is a real estate developer. Figure it out Jer. 

• Thanks 1