Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

32 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

He played baseball in college. I think he is asking questions to Stone just to get him to talk.

In that case, additional years of experience will help him with the nuances of coaxing out the personality of his broadcasting colleague. In any event, he will continue to improve with time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

He played baseball in college. I think he is asking questions to Stone just to get him to talk.

It’s clearly what the Sox ask their play by play guy to do.  Benetti in his first few years couldn’t go a few minutes without asking him a question.  Swirsky was real bad about it also when he filled in. 

• Like 1

I've done various voice work, improv comedy, dramatic acting, radio dj, club dj, but stadium announcing scares the crap out of me. I've quickly turned down every opportunity that has been offered. My hat is off to those that do it. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Isn't the Bears' full proposal all the way up to $6.9 billion now?

Yes, according to the ISFA.  It doesn't sound like that includes the portion the Bears will be paying, either.  That would be the cost over 40 years.  But, would the stadium even last 40 years without at least a major renovation?   

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/report-bears-new-stadium-would-cost-taxpayers-almost-7-billion-higher-than-team-says-according-to-state-official/

https://www.wbez.org/stories/bears-proposed-stadium-could-be-an-additional-12-billion/2d273753-7c61-4792-9314-608d068001e2

20 hours ago, fathom said:

It’s funny how the pro-Benetti media people are the ones attacking Schriffen.  His call of the walk off was better than anything Benetti ever did here.

I would guess this stems from WSCR and the fact that you would think that the White Sox actually blackballed Jason Benetti with their coverage of him since he has left.  It was an opportunity for them to pile on the White Sox hate similar to the biased Clevenger coverage.  I think Schriffen is better then Jason and it's inconceivable that the White Sox may have done something right...like...you know...have a broadcaster that actually broadcasts their games. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hamhock said:

In that case, additional years of experience will help him with the nuances of coaxing out the personality of his broadcasting colleague. In any event, he will continue to improve with time.

yeah I thought this guy would have a better understanding of baseball than "so Steve what pitch do you think he's gonna throw next?"

the response is "well he throws a cutter or a slider so I'd guess one of those" or "he's just thrown 12 fastballs in a row, what do you think?"

in fairness to him, he seems to be improving and the chemistry with Stone is certainly better than it was the first week. I think Schriffen should know more about baseball though and it doesn't seem to me that he's doing the prerequisite prep work to understand who players are and what their player profiles are, what teams they used to play for etc. You listen to another team's broadcast and they can tell you a bunch of information about nobody call-ups on other teams, I don't think you get that on Sox broadcasts, and even though I like dogs I don't really need a guy to tell me how much he likes dogs for 3 hours. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 3:20 PM, fathom said:

It’s funny how the pro-Benetti media people are the ones attacking Schriffen.  His call of the walk off was better than anything Benetti ever did here.

The enthusiasm will be cool if they're ever good again but the haters part is super lame. If you're an adult human and using the term "haters", you should probably re-evaluate your life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The enthusiasm will be cool if they're ever good again but the haters part is super lame. If you're an adult human and using the term "haters", you should probably re-evaluate your life. 

Agreed. It's super cringe.

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Score has been attacking his style for a few weeks now.  I think it’s fair to say they were much more willing to accept Benetti and his growing pains when he first started.

Just now, fathom said:

The Score has been attacking his style for a few weeks now.  I think it’s fair to say they were much more willing to accept Benetti and his growing pains when he first started.

If the Score is upset about it, I almost have to like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the Score is upset about it, I almost have to like it.

The Score is pretty broad though. They have numerous hosts with different thoughts. Most of those hosts were pretty tight with Benetti too. It's not just because of that though. The Sox let one of the best broadcasters in the country leave and they hired Schriffen because they finally found someone to take the job. I think John can be good. It hasn't been a great start though; starting with appearances on Bulls and Hawks broadcasts trying to get fans excited about a team that will be bunting and playing the game the right way. Barf. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Score is pretty broad though. They have numerous hosts with different thoughts. Most of those hosts were pretty tight with Benetti too. It's not just because of that though. The Sox let one of the best broadcasters in the country leave and they hired Schriffen because they finally found someone to take the job. I think John can be good. It hasn't been a great start though; starting with appearances on Bulls and Hawks broadcasts trying to get fans excited about a team that will be bunting and playing the game the right way. Barf. 

Loyal Benetti fans/co-workers who feel he got a raw deal (or who don't like Brooks Boyer much at all)

Coming in as an outsider, so to speak

Local guys like Connor McKnight getting passed over, who "put in their time"

The fact that he's both seemingly pretty brash but doesn't have a huge knowledge of the sport and its intricacies...don't need a stat nerd, but he's got to do some more homework to catch up with some of his information and player background gaps or holes

— The Chicago Bears' proposal to fund a new lakefront stadium remains a “non-starter," Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker's office said after top aides met with team officials on Wednesday.

The Bears unveiled a nearly $5 billion plan calling for public funding last week for an enclosed facility to be built next to their longtime home at Soldier Field. Though the governor did not rule out more discussions, the team clearly is facing an uphill battle.

“As the Governor has said, the current proposal is a non-starter for the state," press secretary Alex Gough said in a statement. "In order to subsidize a brand new stadium for a privately owned sports team, the Governor would need to see a demonstrable and tangible benefit to the taxpayers of Illinois. The Governor’s office remains open to conversations with the Bears, lawmakers, and other stakeholders with the understanding that responsible fiscal stewardship of tax-payer dollars remains the foremost priority.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/illinois-governors-office-says-bears-001721152.html

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Some Kansas lawmakers see a chance to lure Kansas City’s two biggest professional sports teams across the Missouri border, but an effort to help the Super Bowl champion Chiefs and Major League Baseball’s Royals finance new stadiums in Kansas fizzed over concerns about how it might look to taxpayers.

Members of the Republican-controlled Legislature pushed a bill Tuesday that would have allowed Kansas officials to authorize at least $1 billion in bonds to cover the entire cost of building each new stadium, paying the debt off with tax revenues generated in the area over 30 years. But GOP leaders didn’t bring it up for a vote before lawmakers adjourned their annual session early Wednesday.

Some critics derided the plan as corporate welfare. Others were receptive but didn’t want to pass the proposal until the Legislature approved a broad package of tax cuts for their constituents that Democratic Gov. Laura Kelly would sign — which didn’t happen either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Someone’s been drinking the haterade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Bennetti was a true Chicago White Sox baseball nerd, that’s the primary difference. Schriffen doesn’t even seem to be a real baseball guy

Bennetti is one of a kind and a huge Sox fan and JR Let him walk. Schriffen is just another announcer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

Bennetti is one of a kind and a huge Sox fan and JR Let him walk. Schriffen is just another announcer.

If Hawk's story is accurate, the already ran off literally the biggest White Sox fan on the planet.  It's not quite Baltimore Orioles bad, but it ain't good either.

3 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

Bennetti is a great announcer and he is a huge White Sox fan.  Oddly thought he could not find a way to bridge the two for White Sox broadcasts.

That is my opinion.  

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

— The Chicago Bears' proposal to fund a new lakefront stadium remains a “non-starter," Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker's office said after top aides met with team officials on Wednesday.

The Bears unveiled a nearly $5 billion plan calling for public funding last week for an enclosed facility to be built next to their longtime home at Soldier Field. Though the governor did not rule out more discussions, the team clearly is facing an uphill battle.

“As the Governor has said, the current proposal is a non-starter for the state," press secretary Alex Gough said in a statement. "In order to subsidize a brand new stadium for a privately owned sports team, the Governor would need to see a demonstrable and tangible benefit to the taxpayers of Illinois. The Governor’s office remains open to conversations with the Bears, lawmakers, and other stakeholders with the understanding that responsible fiscal stewardship of tax-payer dollars remains the foremost priority.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/illinois-governors-office-says-bears-001721152.html

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Some Kansas lawmakers see a chance to lure Kansas City’s two biggest professional sports teams across the Missouri border, but an effort to help the Super Bowl champion Chiefs and Major League Baseball’s Royals finance new stadiums in Kansas fizzed over concerns about how it might look to taxpayers.

Members of the Republican-controlled Legislature pushed a bill Tuesday that would have allowed Kansas officials to authorize at least $1 billion in bonds to cover the entire cost of building each new stadium, paying the debt off with tax revenues generated in the area over 30 years. But GOP leaders didn’t bring it up for a vote before lawmakers adjourned their annual session early Wednesday.

Some critics derided the plan as corporate welfare. Others were receptive but didn’t want to pass the proposal until the Legislature approved a broad package of tax cuts for their constituents that Democratic Gov. Laura Kelly would sign — which didn’t happen either.

Tough guy Pritzker playing hardball but him and his cronnies will be in a Suite on the 50 Yard Line the first game there acting like a hero.

On 4/29/2024 at 12:59 PM, southsider2k5 said:

I guess it is more compelling because it is on YouTube instead of print form or something. Nothing like a video where someone states over and over again that they are "concerned", over the "facts", but you it is "up to you to decide" what you think from their one sided video.  But be sure to subscribe so you can be concerned over more facts you can decide about in the future.

Enjoy the rest of the 10 minutes I just saved you.

You've just described every form of media and news outlet from the New York Times to Breitbart; though I think they've abandoned print for TikTok instead of Youtube.