Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

13 hours ago, tray said:

He opined about that prospect only one time that I am aware of (and no he never told his family that), yet it has been misconstrued and bandied about thousands of times in the media and by others. Jerry is more likely to leave ownership decisions to his heirs and business partners, with the proviso that he wants them to keep the White Sox in Chicago.

One example I can point to is his interview with Bob Sirott on "Chicago Tonight" which took place in May 2004. In the interview he specifically said he has advised his family to sell the Sox and keep the Bulls.

I was also told this by a source for my November 2022 story on "The State of the Sox." This person has been connected to the White Sox for a long time:

“JR has told his family he does not want any of his sons owning the team when he is gone. The Bulls are fine he said because they make Michael (Reinsdorf) money but baseball just doesn’t allow you to do that. (no salary cap)” (Author’s Note: Was told by an individual who knew some of the minority owners that “The Sox haven’t lost money in a long time.” A second source agreed with that statement. Seems to be a conflict doesn’t it? Maybe JR isn’t making enough money to suit him vis a vis the Sox?)

A second source offered this comment on the future:

“I was talking with an agent and they said the next owner of the Sox can’t be a group of investors, it has to be a big company. That’s why Dennis Gilbert, who tried to buy the Dodgers won’t get the Sox, he can’t come up with enough big money investors”

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Isn't the biggest con job supporting billionaires in the first place...as either presidential candidates, or, for the most part, as professional sports franchise owners?

As far as public financing for stadium goes, you might as well be pushing for subsidies for a Chinese-owned factory in Michigan.

It's simply not possible to get it done with all the ill-will in Chicago right now. 

If anything, the city's "reputation" might be better off with just one flagship team that can leverage 100% of corporate and population resources in order to field something approximating the Midwestern Dodgers.

Wow - Sox fans advocating for the demise of our franchise so that Chicagoans can make a "Super Cubs" franchise a possibility.   Simply incredible.  

I've said it before and it's worth repeating, the Sox must have the only fan base with diehards practically offering to drive the moving trucks out of town.  I guess that's what 43 years of emotional abuse at the hands of Jerry and Eddie will do.  

Edited by 77 Hitmen
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, 77 Hitmen said:

Wow - Sox fans advocating for the demise of our franchise so that Chicagoans can make a "Super Cubs" franchise a possibility.   Simply incredible.  

I've said it before and it's worth repeating, the Sox must have the only fan base with diehards practically offering to drive the moving trucks out of town.  I guess that's what 43 years of emotional abuse at the hands of Jerry and Eddie will do.  

Not saying I would like it...just that investing time and taxpayer dollars into "saving" this team under thos regime doesn't do much.

Remember when MLB threatened to contract the Twins?

Look at their record from 2001-2010.

They shut up all their critics by putting playoff team after playoff team on the field.

JR's response is we will put a team so embarrassing out there that the result will work out in his favor somehow?  Out of what...guilt?  Pity?

Edited by caulfield12

I believe we are witnessing a Fisher-esque sabotage. This roster, this record, and these tax negotiations make me think this franchise is moving to Nashville. By making the White Sox nothing, Jerry can take something away from a group of people who have nothing to lose.

20 hours ago, 77 Hitmen said:

Something somebody once said not too long ago...it's die-hard and not never-die. I think we are witnessing the very definition of fans dying hard to the team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scott Merkin Fan said:

I believe we are witnessing a Fisher-esque sabotage. This roster, this record, and these tax negotiations make me think this franchise is moving to Nashville. By making the White Sox nothing, Jerry can take something away from a group of people who have nothing to lose.

Explain to me how you'd make more money in Nashville than you would in Chicago. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Explain to me how you'd make more money in Nashville than you would in Chicago. 

If they are willing to give him everything he wants in a stadium/village project, that is like $2 billion to start with.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If they are willing to give him everything he wants in a stadium/village project, that is like $2 billion to start with.

This is what I am missing.  Are they going to build a village for him or are they going to build a stadium for for him to use rent free and then who makes the money on the village? 

I still don't understand how many years ago Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones played at the new place but they don't hold anything there anymore.

Why is NU doing what they are doing in Evanston.  GRATE would be ideal for that. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

This is what I am missing.  Are they going to build a village for him or are they going to build a stadium for for him to use rent free and then who makes the money on the village? 

I still don't understand how many years ago Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones played at the new place but they don't hold anything there anymore.

Why is NU doing what they are doing in Evanston.  GRATE would be ideal for that. 

I don't think they have expressly said, but the stadium would be for the Sox, but owned by the same ISFA that is in place today.  The village is a bit more undefined at this time.  Even if he doesn't directly own it, the idea is to get people in the area for ballgames so that it becomes an experience instead of a ballgame, with the hope the fanbase becomes more like the Cubs who show up no matter what, versus the Sox who do not.

8 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

So one of three things just happened.

1.  The Sox will make their announcement soon, and the Bears just left it up to them.

2. The Bears have a plan, but not backing.

3.  The Bears took what they could get from the City and State, and left the Sox out on their own.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

So one of three things just happened.

1.  The Sox will make their announcement soon, and the Bears just left it up to them.

2. The Bears have a plan, but not backing.

3.  The Bears took what they could get from the City and State, and left the Sox out on their own.

I think it’s #3.  The Bears must have some sort of unofficial deal with the Mayor to stay in the city rather than move to Arlington Heights.  The Mayor must’ve given in to some of their demands.

In a written statement, a source close to Reinsdorf said that, despite earlier media reports indicating Reinsdorf wants the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority to front the entire $1.25 billion said to be needed for the new ballpark, “We never said there would not be White Sox investment in the potential development.”

“To the contrary,” the statement continued, “We have been looking at several scenarios which would, under the right conditions, involve significant private investment. But as everyone knows, this is an evolving situation, and once we have a clear, definitive path, we will have a clear, definitive commitment.

The statement did not define “significant.” But sources close to negotiations say Reinsdorf has mentioned a figure of $200 million or more. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

$200M…🤔

There was also this part

Reinsdorf earlier told Crain’s the team’s current home at Guaranteed Rate Field in Bridgeport has not worked out and its needs to move top be successful. Reinsdorf, 88, said he has no plans to sell the team but indicated that his son might well do so after he dies unless the team has a long-term lease that would keep it in Chicago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If they follow his publicly stated wishes there is no "might" to it, the team will be sold when he passes on. 

I get it and hope they do eventually sell, just posting what was included in the piece.