Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

If they were to have a public referendum on the Sox alone...it would be 80-85% against.

Even a new stadium won't fix a  terrible ownership group and front office except for generating more revenue the first 3-5 years.

But that's not a guaranteed long term fix, either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If they were to have a public referendum on the Sox alone...it would be 80-85% against.

Even a new stadium won't fix a  terrible ownership group and front office except for generating more revenue the first 3-5 years.

Very true.

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I agree, but Jerry is 88 years old and will be 93 when the Sox current lease is up.  Even if the South Loop ballpark goes forward, there's a very good chance he won't be around to see its opening.

He's also said his family will sell the team after he's gone.  Ownership change is coming.   Of course, some might say that a new owner could be even worse than the way JR has run this team, but unless they move the team out of town, I don't see how that's possible.  

Edited by 77 Hitmen
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, 77 Hitmen said:

I agree, but Jerry is 88 years old and will be 93 when the Sox current lease is up.  Even if the South Loop ballpark goes forward, there's a very good chance he won't be around to see its opening.

He's also said his family will sell the team after he's gone.  Ownership change is coming.   Of course, some might say that a new owner could be even worse than the way JR has run this team, but unless they move the team out of town, I don't see how that's possible.  

If I had to guess, the ownership change has already begun.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think so as well. Everything going on (including getting rid of all of your payroll) makes me think it is already in process.

39 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I think so as well. Everything going on (including getting rid of all of your payroll) makes me think it is already in process.

I would bet money the Hobson deal includes an option to buy the majority share in the future.  The Sox had always refused new minority partners until now. Putting 2 and 2 together,  I bet this is already done for either Jerry's death, so some point in the near future,  possibly contingent on the new stadium. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Interesting.  That would explain what's going on with this team, which is more than Jerry's usual level of incompetence.  

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would bet money the Hobson deal includes an option to buy the majority share in the future.  The Sox had always refused new minority partners until now. Putting 2 and 2 together,  I bet this is already done for either Jerry's death, so some point in the near future,  possibly contingent on the new stadium. 

If there's already a done deal that won't be finalized until JR dies (for tax reasons), then let the new people take over now.

On 4/7/2024 at 1:49 PM, southsider2k5 said:

I believe this too to be honest. With the way they slashed as much payroll as possible this past off-season while bringing in washed veterans, it feels like the only explanation.

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I believe this too to be honest. With the way they slashed as much payroll as possible this past off-season while bringing in washed veterans, it feels like the only explanation.

Not to mention hiring a GM from within instead of hiring someone from the outside that a new owner will probably jettison whenever they took ownership. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If there's already a done deal that won't be finalized until JR dies (for tax reasons), then let the new people take over now.

Thus, if the taxpayers are going to subsidize anything, let JR sell tax free today. Cheaper than a ballpark, and would instantly improve the competitive landscape of the team

8 hours ago, JoeC said:

Thus, if the taxpayers are going to subsidize anything, let JR sell tax free today. Cheaper than a ballpark, and would instantly improve the competitive landscape of the team

That would go over about as well as as a lead balloon...another billionaire extortion plot.

I've burned the franchise down to the ground...so pay me off just to go away.  Hostage taking.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

This is a fascinating article on the guy who actually owns the land the Sox are trying to get funding for to build a new stadium.

Has been denied entry into the U.S. multiple times as well as being convicted of crimes both in France and Iran:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/the-watchdogs/2024/04/11/nadhmi-auchi-iraqi-billionaire-jerry-reinsdorf-related-midwest-78-white-sox-ballpark

• Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

9 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This is a fascinating article on the guy who actually owns the land the Sox are trying to get funding for to build a new stadium.

Has been denied entry into the U.S. multiple times as well as being convicted of crimes both in France and Iran:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/the-watchdogs/2024/04/11/nadhmi-auchi-iraqi-billionaire-jerry-reinsdorf-related-midwest-78-white-sox-ballpark

The answer to the question as to who would own the land if a deal to build is successful remains unknown. Would this guy still own the land or would some other entity? 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I just assume all large real estate dealings within the United States has a ton of shady/awful people behind them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If he does it well enough, he could run for President.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jerry involving himself in some shady business to get this done is just another reason he should sell.  This is dumb anymore, can we stop the ride and kick him off 

2 hours ago, 77 Hitmen said:

The city has rejected a proposal by the White Sox to use the city's amusement tax as part of the funding stream for the new stadiums.  

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/politics/chicago-bears-white-sox-new-stadium-revenue-source-rejected-city

The City of Chicago needs every penny of tax reveunue it can get. It will not want divert any of the amusement tax to other sources. Reinsdorf has very little leverage here. He is going to start talking publiclicly about moving the team again pretty soon. It's the only play the old timer still has at this point. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 77 Hitmen said:

The city has rejected a proposal by the White Sox to use the city's amusement tax as part of the funding stream for the new stadiums.  

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/politics/chicago-bears-white-sox-new-stadium-revenue-source-rejected-city

My understanding is that it was a proposal made by both the Sox and the Bears. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The City of Chicago needs every penny of tax reveunue it can get. It will not want divert any of the amusement tax to other sources. Reinsdorf has very little leverage here. He is going to start talking publiclicly about moving the team again pretty soon. It's the only play the old timer still has at this point. 

Time to call JR's bluff and tell him we'll find a way as soon as you publicly say you are going to kick up __ millions of dollars.

• Like 1