Sox trade Matthew Thompson to Cubs for old friend Bailey Horn

Sleepy Harold

4 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

There is no point to having Pillar on the team. There's at most 1 or 2 other teams that would even consider wasting a roster spot on him. Short of about 10 games in May last year when he went on a tear Pillar likely couldn't make the cut on most teams AAA rosters.

The Sox are starting the same type of player at SS, 2B, and catcher as well.  You shouldn’t be surprised.

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sox are starting the same type of player at SS, 2B, and catcher as well.  You shouldn’t be surprised.

Which is why my expectations are low. But given that on a long term depth chart you have to pencil in guys like Fletcher and Horn I'm not exactly feeling optimistic on long term success.

There's a pretty good chance our entire starting 5 is not on this roster next year. That's not a recipe for sustained success or even a foundation where you can expect reasonable internal growth. 2026 might be the first year we look at the roster and say this guy may have a long term future.

I'm relatively optimistic when it comes to prospect development but given the state of our roster and even in the most ideal conditions we probably need a few years of MLB development for the arms we have that show legitimate potential, it going to be a bleak and depressing time to be a Sox fan.

1 minute ago, mac9001 said:

Which is why my expectations are low. But given that on a long term depth chart you have to pencil in guys like Fletcher and Horn I'm not exactly feeling optimistic on long term success.

There's a pretty good chance our entire starting 5 is not on this roster next year. That's not a recipe for sustained success or even a foundation where you can expect reasonable internal growth. 2026 might be the first year we look at the roster and say this guy may have a long term future.

I'm relatively optimistic when it comes to prospect development but given the state of our roster and even in the most ideal conditions we probably need a few years of MLB development for the arms we have that show legitimate potential, it going to be a bleak and depressing time to be a Sox fan.

Well stated, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, mac9001 said:

There is no point to having Pillar on the team. There's at most 1 or 2 other teams that would even consider wasting a roster spot on him. Short of about 10 games in May last year when he went on a tear Pillar likely couldn't make the cut on most teams AAA rosters.

Wasn't Pillar literally on the Braves playoff roster?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Wasn't Pillar literally on the Braves playoff roster?

For a very specialized role more necessary for postseason.

Certainly not as an everyday player.

Just like Terrence Gore as PR for the Royals in the mid 2010s when all he could do was run and field.  He couldn't hit his way out of a thin and wet paper bag.

9 hours ago, mac9001 said:

Agreed but he’s literally here to be a platoon RF. But like I said, they might as well just give those at bats to Fletcher.

On 3/6/2024 at 9:14 PM, mac9001 said:

The Sox need a backup outfielder who can also cover CF. Time will tell if Fletcher can cover RF on a regular basis, but they need a solid reserve who can spell Robert Jr., who was already overtaxed last year with no suitable defensive substitutes after Engel was gone. Fletcher is not likely to be able to cover CF, even part time.

If Zach DeLoach has the arm to cover RF, I would prefer him over Pillar if only to see what the Sox have, especially since Colas won't be here to start the season. Have the same interest keeping Sosa over Moustakas.

Colas was working on covering first to spell Vaughn, but they should have been working Eloy over there to see if he can cover 20-30 games a season and give the team and Eloy future value down the road.

With Colas in AAA, it is looking more and more like Pillar (all three OF positions), Sheets (RF/1B) or Moustakas (1B/3B), and Mendick (2B,SS,3B, Emergency OF) are your three reserves plus Stassi on Opening Day. Hoping they are willing to toss any of these guys once Colas, Sosa and others are ready for promotion.