3/1/24 Game Thread White Sox at Chicago N. L. 2:05PM CST; Radio: ESPN1000 & TV: (Cubs Only - Marquee),

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

People will be focused on Kopech’s fastball, but I’m more interested to see if he has a competent slider.  It was god awful last year.

I'll be looking to see if his delivery has changed I guess. Some talk that it's more compact now. He had problems locating fastballs to RHB to say the least last year. If he's still missing glove side 80% of the time nothing has changed. I don't care about his numbers, just show some positive command and control improvement when starting a count.

• Like 1

The fact that MLB.tv isn't free during Spring Training still boggles my mind.

I'll have to follow along on Game Day until T-Mobile gives out the free MLB.tv on 3/26 :/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fathom said:

People will be focused on Kopech’s fastball, but I’m more interested to see if he has a competent slider.  It was god awful last year.

Yep. Kopech's slider has been bad for 2 years. He has enough spin on his heater that it still plays at 94-95 mph. 

• Like 1

• Quin pinned this topic
4 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Open photo

An example of why WAR is a joke, expecially concerning 1st basemen. Before the Covid year,  Abreu with over 100 RBIs had a War of like 2.9, and Yolmer Sanchez had a War of like 2.6. 

The next year, the White Sox cut Yolmar to start the season and Abreu went on to win AL MVP.  Abreu's value to the Sox was only a 1/3 of a run more than Yolmer?? What a joke!

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I'm more interested in if he can come close to throwing strikes.

• Haha 1

Just now, fathom said:

If that’s his slider, he’s getting almost no horizontal movement.  He threw one nice fastball to Busch.

He needs to drop that pitch and use the curve more.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

That one to Gomes was way, way better.  Maybe those were cutters?

I don't know man. This guy had electric stuff before TJS. This is like a different pitcher.

• Like 1