March ******* (Basketball Thread)

49 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Outrage over calls for Caitlin Clark, Iowa surest sign yet women's game has arrived...

https://sports.yahoo.com/outrage-over-calls-caitlin-clark-101202220.html

Well...this is something new for Iowa fans who always believe refs favored Ohio State MSU PSU Michigan Illinois Wisconsin...the conspiracy theory that ESPN and ABC needed Iowa on Saturday afternoon for ratings.

LSU also getting that 1 pm Saturday ABC slot while Indiana/S.Carolina is on ESPN.  Granted that's a Friday game...

I mean...for good reason.

One team took 30 FT attempts, the other took 5. One team had 27 fouls called against them, the other had 11.

Hell, Iowa only made one shot from the floor, the entire 4th quarter, yet scored 16 points in the quarter. This was a terribly called game.

image.png

13 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Brother, you got that right. Obviously, I have some bias as a South Carolina fan, but EVERY play, if the ball is in her hands, its either a made shot, or a whine about why it wasn't a foul/someone else's fault.

Very Tiresome.

Iowa fans are STILL complaining about the refereeing in the LSU game last year...but also overlooking how SEC refs never called fouls on SCarolina for their "overly physical/bar room brawl" style of play (until the Final Four) that West Virginia also employed last night.

Perhaps on a neutral court the result would have been different...that said, NCAA football playoffs will provide the bye teams with home games and the home field advantage (as well as viewing experience at home) will be so much more exciting/entertaining than neutral courts with 1/4th or 1/2 the fans missing like the first two rounds of the men's bb tourney.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Iowa fans are STILL complaining about the refereeing in the LSU game last year...but also overlooking how SEC refs never called fouls on SCarolina for their "overly physical/bar room brawl" style of play (until the Final Four) that West Virginia also employed last night.

Perhaps on a neutral court the result would have been different...that said, NCAA football playoffs will provide the bye teams with home games and the home field advantage (as well as viewing experience at home) will be so much more exciting/entertaining than neutral courts with 1/4th or 1/2 the fans missing like the first two rounds of the men's bb tourney.

LSU is consistently 'that' type of team on the court...

angel-reese-hair-pull.jpg

4 hours ago, Capn12 said:

Brother, you got that right. Obviously, I have some bias as a South Carolina fan, but EVERY play, if the ball is in her hands, its either a made shot, or a whine about why it wasn't a foul/someone else's fault.

Very Tiresome.

That was truly an awful display of basketball last night.  WVU players had some of the ugliest jumpers I’ve ever seen.   

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

When your supported university's Womens team has lost 1 game in 2 years, yeah you tend to watch the games. Since the mens team is out, why not?

Understood. I went to a smaller college, so that’s never been an issue for me.

More or less just poking fun. Just ignore me haha.

13 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Understood. I went to a smaller college, so that’s never been an issue for me.

More or less just poking fun. Just ignore me haha.

Sadly, we're not very good at most sports, so anything that is successful, it is easy to become a normal watcher.

37 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

To be clear, several of you are actually watching the women’s tournament and not just pretending to in order to have something to discuss? 😆

There was nothing else on last night, so I watched some of the Iowa game.  Just reiterated to me how terrible Iowa is besides Clark.  As for the “debate” about which former NBA champion Iowa could beat……dear lord.

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Jesus, talk about "chalk" for the women's tournament.

Three tourneys in a row Iowa struggled in the second round...Creighton (lost), UGA (only up by 1 with a minute left) and now WVU (tied 48-48 with five minutes to go).

Going to be a dream weekend for ESPN/ABC.

SAT

Duke/UConn

Baylor/USC

Colorado/Iowa

LSU/UCLA

SUN (projected)

ND/South Carolina

Stanford or NC State vs. Texas

MON (projected)

UConn/USC

LSU/Iowa

Of course, wouldn't be surprised to see Iowa (really thought they were going down tonight)...although they did beat Colorado at this exact point in the proceedings a year ago.  It's almost impossible to believe they could beat LSU, and then even if they managed that, they would be so wiped out physically and mentally that S.Carolina would roll them by 15-20.

The site I used for the point spreads and seeding seems to be updated weekly, doesn’t have games posted since Saturday. This site updates daily, and provides both the percentage odds of winning and a predicted score.

Saw the pros (getting a lot more fans) of hosting first two games at home and cons (only three non home teams one, two of the three were basically pick’ems with Duke the one substantial underdog which escaped).

Even Middle Tennessee State wasn’t a first round upset, just poor seeding bias for Power Conferences and against mid majors.

Here are the updated Massey odds for the Sweet Sixteen:

East Region:

• 1 South Carolina 78.23% 75
  • 4 Indiana 21.77% 68
  • 2 Notre Dame 61.93% 68
  • 3 Oregon State 38.07% 63

South Region:

• 1 Texas 71.78% 73
  • 4 Gonzaga 28.22% 65
  • 2 Stanford 62.37% 70
  • 3 NC State 37.63% 65

Midwest Region:

• 1 Iowa 61.51% 80
  • 5 Colorado 38.49% 75
  • 2 UCLA 46.86% 70
  • 3 LSU 53.14% 72

West Region:

• 1 USC 46.62% 66
  • 5 Baylor 53.38% 68
  • 3 UConn 74.46% 68
  • 7 Duke 25.54% 59

% Odds to Win Championship

1. 31.43% South Carolina
  2. 14.88% UConn
  3. 8.38% Stanford
  4. 8.28% Texas
  5. 7.43% Iowa
  6. 5.79% LSU
  7. 4.24% UCLA
  8. 3.83% Notte Dame
  9. 2.92% Baylor
  10. 2.64% NC State
  11. 2.58% Indiana
  12. 2.16% Colorado
  13. 2.06% USC
  14. 1.47% Duke
  15. 1.04% Oregon State
  16. 0.86% Gonzaga

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

Sadly, we're not very good at most sports, so anything that is successful, it is easy to become a normal watcher.

My school is pretty good in hockey, but I don’t follow college at all. I barely know anything about the NHL. I’ll follow more when the Hawks are good, but nothing more than fair weather.

56 minutes ago, fathom said:

There was nothing else on last night, so I watched some of the Iowa game.  Just reiterated to me how terrible Iowa is besides Clark.  As for the “debate” about which former NBA champion Iowa could beat……dear lord.

Yikes. I remember people making that argument with USC football in the mid-2000s. It was dumb then. This seems even dumber.

19 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The site I used for the point spreads and seeding seems to be updated weekly, doesn’t have games posted since Saturday. This site updates daily, and provides both the percentage odds of winning and a predicted score.

Saw the pros (getting a lot more fans) of hosting first two games at home and cons (only three non home teams one, two of the three were basically pick’ems with Duke the one substantial underdog which escaped).

Even Middle Tennessee State wasn’t a first round upset, just poor seeding bias for Power Conferences and against mid majors.

Here are the updated Massey odds for the Sweet Sixteen:

East Region:

• 1 South Carolina 78.23% 75
  • 4 Indiana 21.77% 68
  • 2 Notre Dame 61.93% 68
  • 3 Oregon State 38.07% 63

South Region:

• 1 Texas 71.78% 73
  • 4 Gonzaga 28.22% 65
  • 2 Stanford 62.37% 70
  • 3 NC State 37.63% 65

Midwest Region:

• 1 Iowa 61.51% 80
  • 5 Colorado 38.49% 75
  • 2 UCLA 46.86% 70
  • 3 LSU 53.14% 72

West Region:

• 1 USC 46.62% 66
  • 5 Baylor 53.38% 68
  • 3 UConn 74.46% 68
  • 7 Duke 25.54% 59

% Odds to Win Championship

1. 31.43% South Carolina
  2. 14.88% UConn
  3. 8.38% Stanford
  4. 8.28% Texas
  5. 7.43% Iowa
  6. 5.79% LSU
  7. 4.24% UCLA
  8. 3.83% Notte Dame
  9. 2.92% Baylor
  10. 2.64% NC State
  11. 2.58% Indiana
  12. 2.16% Colorado
  13. 2.06% USC
  14. 1.47% Duke
  15. 1.04% Oregon State
  16. 0.86% Gonzaga

And VA Tech was playing at home without Kitley due to ACL tear, but still a 4 seed due to previous body of work...so that loss wasn't a shocker at all.

MTSU and then K-State surprised me....but Colorado was a projected #1 seed at one point in the year.

Ohio State collapse still the biggest mystery of all.

And soon to be extinct PAC 10/12 dominating in every way but most elite team...

2 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

To be clear, several of you are actually watching the women’s tournament and not just pretending to in order to have something to discuss? 😆

I went to a game yesterday, does that count?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Yikes. I remember people making that argument with USC football in the mid-2000s. It was dumb then. This seems even dumber.

If you only saw how bad some of these players were….I definitely said “wtf was that” a few times.

2 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

I followed Men's as a kid and young adult, but gave it up 30 years ago beyond filling out the office bracket pools using Sagarin ratings until about 15 years ago. Just no interest in CBB / NBA since the early 1990s. Really just down to the Sox at this point, and the Expos if they were ever resurrected.

I've only watched/listened to three WBB games ever, all three this year (first two Iowa tournament games plus the Lincoln 3A championship because SIL went there and it was their first State title in anything, It's a different style of play, closer to watching a boys HS game. Based on graduation rates, much more close to the student athlete model than the Patino/Calipari one and done nonsense CBB as turned into.

Think it's good for women's sports to gain exposure, and don't see much of a difference in terms of time commitment or interest required to watch men's vs. women's sports.

• Thanks 1

https://www.espn.co.uk/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39816436/holy-cross-iowa-most-viewed-women-ncaa-tournament-opener

https://sports.yahoo.com/best-player-america-paige-bueckers-181742122.html

Of course, a lot of people in America are going to argue JuJu Watkins (USC), Angel Reese or Hannah Hidalgo (ND), for example.

MiLaysia Fulwiley of S.Carolina might easily be the most "talented" player.

It's kind of unfortunate that Auriemma, in the process of bringing more attention back to his own player (who won those Player of the Year awards two years ago and came into her freshman year the highest rated player) that another racial aspect of this (the so-called Larry Bird Effect) whole media spotlight on Clark.  Then, some of the double standards with her behavior and that of some of the players on LSU and S.Carolina (like the Cardoso shove/suspension) over the past two years or the Angel Reese "now you see me" nonsense.  Heck, the Iowa coach Bluder stepped her foot into it last year by forecasting the upcoming matchup with LSU as "it's going to be a bar room brawl" and then Dawn Staley fighting back against those accusing her players of being termed "thugs" when that never actually happened.  Then you had the Sheryl Swoopes comments on Caitlin Clark as well.   And the media is just thriving on keeping these same story lines going, so UConn for the first time in decades is feeling a little bit left out.

https://theathletic.com/5368725/2024/03/26/geno-auriemma-paige-bueckers-comments/

Even as an Iowa fan (and graduate)...I think her moving on from the NCAA level might be the best for all parties concerned, particularly herself.

It's just getting to be TOO much.  And Clark's letting her temper/competitive nature/whining get the best of her the last month or so as the pressure gets dialed up with each and every game.  That type of thing won't happen at the WNBA level, as she'll have a hyper-talented cast of teammates to alleviate that pressure of trying to do everything herself and forcing the issue by taking ill-advised shots or getting upset now with almost any contact from the defense.

Am actually looking forward to seeing what Iowa can do without Clark the next two seasons and excited about how they blend in their next two recruiting classes...can they defy all the odds and sustain their momentum, or will they inevitably "return to norm" as their long-time coach eventually retires?

Edited by caulfield12

Illinois vs. Iowa State. Holy bleep what a Sweet 16 game. I really like Underwood, but I picked ISU to reach the Final Four. I'd be shocked if this was not an incredibly competitive, sensational game. These teams have had sensational seasons. I dunno who will win. I'll stick with my ISU pick but the Illini are damn good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Illinois vs. Iowa State. Holy bleep what a Sweet 16 game. I really like Underwood, but I picked ISU to reach the Final Four. I'd be shocked if this was not an incredibly competitive, sensational game. These teams have had sensational seasons. I dunno who will win. I'll stick with my ISU pick but the Illini are damn good.

Shannon is other wordly right now. I'll take Illinois until he's not.

Monday's second round NCAA women's tournament matchup between the No. 1 seed Hawkeyes and No. 8 seed West Virginia Mountaineers, broadcast by ESPN, averaged 4.9 million viewers, marking the largest pre-Final Four audience in women's March Madness, Sports Media Watch reported Tuesday.

In comparison, Iowa's first-round victory over No. 16 seed Holy Cross drew 3.2 millions viewers to ABC Saturday, becoming the most-viewed first round game on record, ESPN announced. The weekend's slate of games across ESPN platforms was the most-consumed first round of the NCAA women's tournament ever, with 1.5 billion minutes watched, ESPN said.

For all the hype about Clark, however, Iowa isn’t the only team to put up big numbers thus far. Leading into Monday night’s WVU-Iowa battle, the 6 p.m. ET UConn-Syracuse game averaged just shy of 2.1 million viewers, while LSU’s 83-56 blowout of Middle Tennessee on Sunday also topped the 2 million mark.

Edited by caulfield12