Jose Rodriguez Traded to Phillies for $

ChiSox59

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No, even though Getz was the Director of Player Development when Rodriguez was acquired, Jose was always ditching school and watching TV at his mom's house so he never benefited from Getz’s wise tutelage.  Not Getz’s fault.

And it's weird how many here translate me not getting hysterical over a minor move into Getz-worship. 

If the Sox option Korey Lee and go with a tandem of Maldonado and Stassi, I'll be disappointed. If Sosa comes up and gets 2 at-bats over 10 games, I would think that was a waste of an opportunity. If Clevenger ends up blocking Nastrini, Cannon or Thorpe, that would be a dumb move. 

Cutting a AA bat who regressed in a major way with his chase rates doesn't really raise my ire. Dragging poor performing players from the MLB roster into the conversation, albeit at a position Popeye doesn't play, even less so. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

That Popeye would do much worse over a larger sample size. 

It’s hard to do much worse than that.  Given his extra base hit ability, he could match Lopez’s futile OPS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nicky Lopez can’t hit his weight or OPS .500.  What would the difference be?  🤣

At least Nicky plays excellent defense. He’s a useful player if used in the right matchups like he was last year. Actually, he’s the prototypical utility infielder because he’s versatile and runs well too. The Sox 40 man roster is so weak that Nicky if forced into a full time role. Either way, he’s one of the least of their concerns right now. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You have Lenyn Sosa and Bryan Ramos already on the 40-man. Sosa does the same thing as JoseRod, but better. You then have Zach Remillard and Danny Mendick off the 40-man, who are pro players who can actually start in the majors for a week. Right behind JoseRod, you have Brooks Baldwin at AA, who actually looks like a much better utility infielder than JoseRod. 

The real problem with Jose Rodriguez is that it took him so long to develop, he had to be 40-manned well before he was even close to the majors. The big step backwards he took last year put him even farther away.

For the guys saying to just throw Speas in the bullpen, you still have to get 27 outs. If Speas isn't even ready to pick off one or two of those outs, what exactly is the point of rostering him? 

🤢🤮

• Haha 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

At least Nicky plays excellent defense. He’s a useful player if used in the right matchups like he was last year. Actually, he’s the prototypical utility infielder because he’s versatile and runs well too. The Sox 40 man roster is so weak that Nicky if forced into a full time role. Either way, he’s one of the least of their concerns right now. 

Exactly, but he’s starting.  He should be a backup utility infielder like you said, but he’s also paid too much for that role ($4.3 million).

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How is he forced into full time role when that’s what they acquired him to be?

• Like 2

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Exactly, but he’s starting.  He should be a backup utility infielder like you said, but he’s also paid too much for that role ($4.3 million).

$4.3M is not too expensive for a solid utility player. I disagree. 

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And Popeye isn't good enough to force his way onto the worst roster in baseball, right now. He regressed at AA, then when promoted, regressed more. Other teams passing on him is totally relevant. Because it's not just "bad roster management by Getz". The league holds Popeye in low regard. 

And we have better options on the 40-man in all regards you can imagine. Lenyn Sosa is much closer to being a major league utility infielder than Popeye is. Sosa is raking at AAA, and Popeye didn't cut it last year at AAA. 

Why do we need a 22 year middle infielder with some tools to be major league ready right now?  This team isn’t competing any time soon and we should be willing to roster some kids who might be able to provide some value in the future.  I get Popeye is a long-shot to be more than a UT guy, but the players we’re keeping over him are pure roster filler and provide zero long-term value.

And just to be 100% clear here, if we were DFAing Popeye because we were adding a kid like Montgomery then I wouldn’t be complaining here.  I simply don’t like adding more 30+ year olds who don’t move the needle and aren’t good enough to be flipped at the deadline.  We have plenty of bad veterans who can provide leadership in the clubhouse already, we don’t need more of them in hopes of Pedro maybe winning one more game this year.

• Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

How is he forced into full time role when that’s what they acquired him to be?

Because the rest of the roster is garbage. This wasn’t going to turn around in one offseason fathom. You know that. This is a multiple year rebuild, which is why I was advocating that the return on a Cease trade be centered around young players with high ceilings rather than guys like Jordan Westburg and Nicky Ortiz.

• Like 1

You wouldn’t have needed Rodriguez to perform at mlb level. Have Sosa perform at mlb level and get rid of Dejong or somebody, with Rodriguez at AAA. Or same with Speas. Cut Shaw and bring up one of the other AAAA pitchers at Charlotte

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

$4.3M is not too expensive for a solid utility player. I disagree. 

For the Sox, a team that spends $1 to $1.75 million on starting position players or part-time starters (DeJong, Pillar), $4.3 million is too much to spend on an expected bench utility infielder.

• Thanks 1

Btw, can you imagine a Cease trade centered around Westburg and Hall? With the way Westburg has started this season, I can’t even imagine how livid folks would be around here. “Look, Getz traded Cease for a 25 year old utility player! And a 25 year old 5th starter!”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

You wouldn’t have needed Rodriguez to perform at mlb level. Have Sosa perform at mlb level and get rid of Dejong or somebody, with Rodriguez at AAA. Or same with Speas. Cut Shaw and bring up one of the other AAAA pitchers at Charlotte

Exactly this. He would just be at AAA with Sosa up.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

For the Sox, a team that spends $1 to $1.75 million on starting position players or part-time starters (DeJong, Pillar), $4.3 million is too much to spend on an expected bench utility infielder.

Who gives a s%*# in a lost season? None of these moves even matter. As long as they aren’t tying themselves up to horrible long term contracts like Javy Baez or Anthony Rendon I don’t care. Eloy and Moncada are off the books after this season and then they essentially have a clean slate from a payroll perspective. I’ll care more next offseason when they actually start spending money on multi year contracts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Who gives a s%*# in a lost season? None of these moves even matter. As long as they aren’t tying themselves up to horrible long term contracts like Javy Baez or Anthony Rendon I don’t care. Eloy and Moncada are off the books after this season and then they essentially have a clean slate from a payroll perspective. I’ll care more next offseason when they actually start spending money on multi year contracts.

You just made a great case for letting Sosa/Rodriguez play over DeJong/Lopez.

Edited by WhiteSox2023