Colas

50 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Except it was the holdover guys he was saddled with that are injured

Not to be pedantic, but also Stassi.

You could argue that it makes the Maldonado signing better — because otherwise they'd probably be rolling with Lee + Perez/Hackenberg, but they also spent $3,260,000 too much on Maldonado and the more Lee performs, the more it shows.

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

So all of Getz’s veteran position player signings this offseason were pretty pointless.  Remember the talk about how the young guys would get time to gel and prove themselves in the minors before getting rushed up this season due to the presence of Getz’s vets?  Guess not.  Ten games later and Sosa and Colas will already be here.

It's not the acquired vets that are getting hurt. It's  the same old guys who always get hurt .

Please try harder to put 2 plus 2 to get the right answer next time.

Also Colas and Sosa are not at the points in their careers that they can be labeled as being rushed. Maybe Colas wasn't ready last year but it's not like he was too young. He just didn't have a lot of upper level experience. Maybe they both can do better with this chance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Quin said:

You could argue that it makes the Maldonado signing better — because otherwise they'd probably be rolling with Lee + Perez/Hackenberg, but they also spent $3,260,000 too much on Maldonado and the more Lee performs, the more it shows.

I’m not worried about four million for Maldonado when the Sox are operating way below their maximum payroll levels and only have something like 40-45 million committed next year. I honestly don’t get why anyone is concerned about that

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

I’m not worried about four million for Maldonado when the Sox are operating way below their maximum payroll levels and only have something like 40-45 million committed next year. I honestly don’t get why anyone is concerned about that

It's not that they spent $4M on a catcher. It's the player the spent it on. Again, they managed to find someone older and worse than Grandal.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It's not that they spent $4M on a catcher. It's the player the spent it on. Again, they managed to find someone older and worse than Grandal.

Yeah but it doesn’t really effect anything. So they are overpaying a player three million in a year when they are going to suck regardless, while operating well below a maximum budget. Whoop de doo. The main reason they brought him in was to coach Lee and work with the pitching staff anyway

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Because it reflects a philosophy that echoes the previous regime (sign old, bad players for amounts that add up due to past reputation), it fails to live up to the "help pitchers" line that Getz repeated ad nauseum ("restore the trust" as well), and it contributes to blocking Lee and possibly Quero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

It isn't like they tied up long-term money. No one thought Maldonado was going to be some great fix, but it did seem like there was certainly a push to get some vet leader(s) in - even if they aren't great players.  And for Korey Lee - I think there might be a value to having a true vet you can work with and both the fact that you are getting push(ed) to be better but also know you have a bit less pressure on you to acclimate yourself to the bigs and have a vet there who presumably is a legitimately good teammate and an asset from the game calling, how to manage being a catcher, pitcher relationship's, etc.  

Why they needed both Stassi and Maldonado - no idea, since Stassi missed an entire year, etc and he's just a worse version of Maldo, but I happen to value high baseball IQ catchers so I think having more vs. less is a good thing as their are a lot of intangibles they can bring if they are engaged in the lockeroom and working with the pitchers.  They are the first eye(s) to everything given how much they work, even in bullpen(s), etc with the pitchers. Heck - having Stassi doing some time in AAA right now should be a value to those players down there (unfortunately there is zero talent down there).  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

Because it reflects a philosophy that echoes the previous regime (sign old, bad players for amounts that add up due to past reputation), it fails to live up to the "help pitchers" line that Getz repeated ad nauseum ("restore the trust" as well), and it contributes to blocking Lee and possibly Quero.

If they were trying to contend - and this was the off-season they had, than yeah, that would be like the last regime.  I don't care what JR said - they were never contending with this roster and their entire off-season showed it.  And they made zero moves that have any long-term impacts with exception of the Cease deal and I suppose Fedde (but even that is pretty small dollars). Everything else was short-term in nature.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

What doesn't matter? The guys they want to gel and develop will continue to do so, and the guys who are probably ready will play in the bigs. WS2023 isn't mentioning an unprecedented loss of the 3 main offensive contributors. 

Did I miss the part where Eloy and Moncada have been main offensive contributors??

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

How is it failing to live up to the "help pitchers" line? The rotation has actually looked stable through 11 games, when the "organizational philosophy" here was that every starter would fail, to a man. Bullpen's been spotty, but one bad outing blows up a reliever's stats for a month. 

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

Did I miss the part where Eloy and Moncada have been main offensive contributors??

Moncada and Robert were the two of the 3 highest OPSs in the lineup. Did you think Eloy was going to OPS .364 over a full season? 

4 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

I don't think the Sox (or any team for that matter) would think they'd lose their top 3 position players in the first 10 games of the season.

Nonsense.  Eloy and Moncada are two of the most injury-prone players in baseball, and Robert is quickly gaining the same reputation.

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Moncada and Robert were the two of the 3 highest OPSs in the lineup. Did you think Eloy was going to OPS .364 over a full season? 

Eloy and Moncada have been collosal disappointments for awhile. The power for both of them has disappeared.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nonsense.  Eloy and Moncada are two of the most injury-prone players in baseball, and Robert is quickly gaining the same reputation.

I'm very confused on what you wanted the Sox to do in this position. It seems like you would have complained no matter which way they handled it. They aren't rushing anyone that matters to the future. They hoped these three would stay healthy because what else are they supposed to do? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nonsense? Having injury-prone players doesn't equate to "think they'd lose top 3 offensive players in the first 10 games".

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

So what's the solution?  You were angry that they dropped Jose Rodriguez to keep older guys.  You imply that bringing up Colas and Sosa is some failure.  There was no way anyone was taking Moncada or Eloy this year.  Did you want more old guys on the roster to be available when Eloy and Moncada got hurt again?  

2 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I'm very confused on what you wanted the Sox to do in this position. It seems like you would have complained no matter which way they handled it. They aren't rushing anyone that matters to the future. They hoped these three would stay healthy because what else are they supposed to do? 

When your three only good hitters are the most injury-prone players in the league, your $75 million dollar man is worse than replacement level, and your golden boy 1st round draft pick hits more like a weak middle infielder rather than a first baseman, and all you acquire during the offseason are washed-up vets that should’ve retired, it should be no surprise at what position the Sox are in so soon into the season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

The point is to twist any situation into the narrative of "Getz is in over his head!! Every move sucked!!!" 

I suppose now that Robert, Eloy and Yoan are injured, the naysayers can go back to admitting that all 3 were developed during Getz's directorship, and those were development failures. LOL. 

3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

So what's the solution?  You were angry that they dropped Jose Rodriguez to keep older guys.  You imply that bringing up Colas and Sosa is some failure.  There was no way anyone was taking Moncada or Eloy this year.  Did you want more old guys on the roster to be available when Eloy and Moncada got hurt again?  

Too late.  Jerry promoted a guy to GM that is not qualified for the job.  The long wait for another good Sox team is just increasing in time.

• Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

When your three only good hitters are the most injury-prone players in the league, your $75 million dollar man is worse than replacement level, and your golden boy 1st round draft pick hits more like a weak middle infielder rather than a first baseman, and all you acquire during the offseason are washed-up vets that should’ve retired, it should be no surprise at what position the Sox are in so soon into the season.

I can't believe I have to defend Chris Getz - but do you think maybe your first three points is the reason he signed up the washed up vets for this year? There isn't a single person, inside our outside of this organization, who could have gotten the White Sox to compete this year with the limitations that Reinsdorf has placed on them. Seems obvious he filled out the roster this year just to fill it out because games need to be played. 

Two of the three injury prone guys are off your books after this year, and some of your young guys come up at some point this year and next year. This was as a big of a punt year you could have. I'm not going to lose my mind that they might have to pick 10th in the MLB draft. This isn't the NBA. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Nonsense? Having injury-prone players doesn't equate to "think they'd lose top 3 offensive players in the first 10 games".

Injury-prone players get injured, frequently and at any time.  That’s why they are called injury-prone.  It’s why most people just laugh when Eloy gets hurt, because it happens so often, it is no longer a surprise to people.  The dude had a foot contusion right at the end of Spring Training and was day-to-day.  He then gets injured gingerly running to first base in less than ten games into the season.  If you are betting on a guy like Eloy to stay healthy for any sort of stretch of time, you may as well throw your money into a lot fireplace.  Moncada is similar — back issues, shin issues, etc.  Robert is starting to get the label as well.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

I kind of admire your style of chaos babbling. You're never arguing anything, specific, constantly complaining about anything, and wrapping it all into the same "should have signed stars" narrative that has no grounding in reality. 

The list of players you've listed out before would not have actually been a serious upgrade from what we had, or cannot even be said to have wanted to sign up for this situation. It was not unreasonable to rely on Robert to stay relatively healthy after playing a full baseball season. I'm not sure what better players (than Eloy or Yoan) you think were waiting for the Sox to call and sign them so we could just cut both. 

I'm pretty sure that Getz didn't ask Benintendi to be below replacement level, and didn't ask Vaughn to not hit. Benintendi was signed by the previous GM, and Vaughn was rushed to the bigs by the previous GM. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1