Colas

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Very true.  They dumped a lot of money and got a cheap young catcher who looks like he can play defense and may actually hit as well. 

It’s these little trades that the Sox have to start winning. I’m hoping they do the same this July. If they’re able to turn Lynn, Kelly, Giolito, and Graveman into their top two catchers, high leverage reliever, and back end starting pitcher that’s about the best outcome you could possibly ask for in trading that collection of junk. It also fills roster spots with quality players on low salaries without having to spend $ on the Dejongs and Maldanados of the world in free agency.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And considering they flipped Graveman for him, who is getting paid $8M to miss the entire season, I’d say that trade was a huge win even if Lee only amounts to a serviceable backup catcher.

Yeah there’s value in being a solid backup. It’s awesome that he isn’t a slug on the bases either.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Excitement over Lee needs to be tempered.  The dude has 17 plate appearances.  Of course him hitting like he currently is is much better than the alternative but it will be interesting to see how his 30% K/per 9 in the minors translates to the majors.

Why does excitement need to be tempered? Once one steps back and actually takes a look at some of the talent on the field, the path forward becomes clearer. It's almost like the entire team sat back and waited for Eloy, Yoan and Robert to put them on their backs. Now they all have to be the baseball players they're supposed to be. 

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Why does excitement need to be tempered? Once one steps back and actually takes a look at some of the talent on the field, the path forward becomes clearer. It's almost like the entire team sat back and waited for Eloy, Yoan and Robert to put them on their backs. Now they all have to be the baseball players they're supposed to be. 

Excitement needs to be tempered on this because he is showing good results. However, Fletcher fucking blows and might be one of the worst Sox players of all time in these 11 games.

Just now, PaleAleSox said:

Excitement needs to be tempered on this because he is showing good results. However, Fletcher fucking blows and might be one of the worst Sox players of all time in these 11 games.

Fletcher has been fine. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/dominic-fletcher-666150?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

He's not setting the world on fire but he's also looking like a perfectly cromulent OF. Certainly worth a roster spot unlike most of the vets Getz brought in. You can question the process of the trade but so far Fletcher looks like a decent pickup.

1 minute ago, PaleAleSox said:

My point is that nobody needs to temper their excitement. It's a rebuild. Enjoy watching the young guys get their shot and see who makes it. Hell, if everybody gets to dream on Popeye Rodriguez after zero sample size, why can't we dream on Korey Lee after a small sample size?

I'd put up 2011 Adam Dunn for worst of all time. Fletcher's a rookie who had a slow start for 5 games, and needs to calm down in the field. I think he'll be fine. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, oldsox said:

Too bad they can't call up Popeye to replace Moncada.

Meh. I'd rather play Sosa. Popeye sucks.  Not saying I would have DFA'd him over Leone/Shaw, but FFS, Popeye isn't the answer to anything right now. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I just think any player can have a hot steak and look like a world beater in 17 plate appearances.

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I just think any player can have a hot steak and look like a world beater in 17 plate appearances.

Sure, but when that production begins to look anything like the .238/.307/.483 and .283/.328/.406 batting lines he put up in AAA over the last 2 years over 446 and 302 PAs, that starts to take some of the fantasizing out of it, and you can begin to see a productive major leaguer. Will the league adjust to him? Yes, it will. Will he hit a slump and look like s%*#? Yes he will. I don't watch baseball to ignore the fun stuff and just look for things to be dour about. I watch it for the Yermin Mercedes start, and whatever run Garret Crochet goes on this year. 

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I agree but the quality if his contact suggests a true talent jump. His wxOBA is like .525 he's hit the piss out of the ball.

And as @southsider2k5 said if he's a 700 OPS catcher (so plenty of time to regress that 17 PA line) with decent defense and baserunning that's one of the best 10 starting catchers in baseball, easy.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I agree but the quality if his contact suggests a true talent jump. His wxOBA is like .525 he's hit the piss out of the ball.

And as @southsider2k5 said if he's a 700 OPS catcher (so plenty of time to regress that 17 PA line) with decent defense and baserunning that's one of the best 10 starting catchers in baseball, easy.

The kid has had two spotty MLB runs, with this one being his 3rd.  He put up a .263 .329 .427 .756 MiLB line in 1400+ ABs.  Just because he is hot now, doesn't mean his regression will be to his line last year.  Even if he regresses somewhere a bit below his MiLB line as he learns the game, he is a starting MLB catcher.  He put up a 23.9% K rates in MiLB, so even if he takes that to the high 20's he will be fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quin said:

Because it reflects a philosophy that echoes the previous regime (sign old, bad players for amounts that add up due to past reputation), it fails to live up to the "help pitchers" line that Getz repeated ad nauseum ("restore the trust" as well), and it contributes to blocking Lee and possibly Quero.

Sox did not need both Lopez and DeJong. One or the other. They must have a kid who can field. 

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

The way I understand it, he was already optioned during spring training, so the option was already used. He can come up and down all season and it still counts as one. Maybe it’s changed. Anyway, kind of a strange move after a day, but it’s the Sox. 

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

The way I understand it, he was already optioned during spring training, so the option was already used. He can come up and down all season and it still counts as one. Maybe it’s changed. Anyway, kind of a strange move after a day, but it’s the Sox. 

I thought you had a limit on how many times you can do it in said season now.