4/10 Sox @ Guardians 5:10PM CT

16 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Seven pitches....

Yet he didn’t argue that Wilson shouldn’t have pitched at all tonight.   But I’m sure if Wilson started a second inning tonight after throwing those exhausting 7 pitches, his arm would have immediately detached from his body and flown into the stands.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yet he didn’t argue that Wilson shouldn’t have pitched at all tonight.   But I’m sure if Wilson started a second inning tonight after throwing those exhausting 7 pitches, his arm would have immediately detached from his body and flown into the stands.

You know that relievers go through a whole routine of warming up, right? Like if they warm up, it's like they pitched?

27 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You know that relievers go through a whole routine of warming up, right? Like if they warm up, it's like they pitched?

Nope, didn’t know that.  Thanks for informing me.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

13 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nope, don’t know that.  Thanks for informing me.

It's an actual thing. That's why pitching coaches are so stingy about who they want to get up and warm up. Have you read Ball Four? Teams didn't understand knuckleballs. Bouton needed practice throwing a knuckler, and the pitching coaches wouldn't give him baseballs, because they didn't want him to wear out. 

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

I like how he says this but it's his own fault. Benintendi sucks so he promotes him to fifth in the lineup. Pedro thinks it's a demotion because "higher=better" but now a useless batter is in a position to hit when runners are actually in scoring position. How many did Benintendi strand today, 4 or 5 or more?

Other odd lineup decisions that helped create this problem: pinch running for Vaughn then pinch hitting for Lee. not a terrible idea in a vacuum, except Lee is actually hitting and maybe there's someone else you'd pinch hit for (like Benintendi). The result is Pillar and Maldonado coming up to bat in extra innings and getting outs with runners in scoring position.

Also odd: batting Sosa second and using him to sacrifice bunt. Many teams put their best hitters second in the lineup. If the manager thinks Sosa can't hit and is helping the team more by getting out on purpose, why is he batting second?

I just watched the replay and this feels like a game that Pedro lost on his own. 

How many Soxtalkers do you think would've had Sheets in the lineup today ? Without him the Sox aren't even close in this game. That's conveniently forgotten when you blame the manager for shitty players performing like s%*#.

At one point in the tie game in the 9th inning the Sox had runners on 1st and 3rd and no outs and the Sox win probability  was 80.6 percent. Grossman came up and hit a sharp grounder to SS with the infield in which means the runner cant score yet we had people blaming the runner. He can't go because he likely gets thrown out at home even if its a go on contact play. Then you have guys on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. After that DP the odds went down to 48.7 % and after the 3rd out it went down to 36.6 %. DeJong was on 3rd base at the time. Who put Dejong up to PH that inning and he delivered with a double. Yes it was Grifol. Who had Lopez bunt him over to 3rd which Clase bobbled to put them in the situation for an 80.6 win probability ? Grifol. Who had Sheets going home on the attempted steal of 2nd base by Benintendi who got in a rundown that allowed Sheets to come home ? Grifol has tried to stay out of double plays by using a running game even though the Sox dont have much speed and that's because the Sox have shitty players who hit into a lot of DPs.

You can only do so much with the group of guys he has.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How many Soxtalkers do you think would've had Sheets in the lineup today ? Without him the Sox aren't even close in this game. That's conveniently forgotten when you blame the manager for shitty players performing like s%*#.

At one point in the tie game in the 9th inning the Sox had runners on 1st and 3rd and no outs and the Sox win probability  was 80.6 percent. Grossman came up and hit a sharp grounder to SS with the infield in which means the runner cant score yet we had people blaming the runner. He can't go because he likely gets thrown out at home even if its a go on contact play. Then you have guys on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. After that DP the odds went down to 48.7 % and after the 3rd out it went down to 36.6 %. DeJong was on 3rd base at the time. Who put Dejong up to PH that inning and he delivered with a double. Yes it was Grifol. Who had Lopez bunt him over to 3rd which Clase bobbled to put them in the situation for an 80.6 win probability ? Grifol. Who had Sheets going home on the attempted steal of 2nd base by Benintendi who got in a rundown that allowed Sheets to come home ? Grifol has tried to stay out of double plays by using a running game even though the Sox dont have much speed and that's because the Sox have shitty players who hit into a lot of DPs.

So, you're a Grifol fan? Lol.

• TLR 1

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Am I missing something here or has baseball really gotten to the point where a reliever can't pitch more than 4.1 innings every 6 days? 

I mean it's not like he's been under stress in those appearances either he looks fresh. And, with the ghost runner it actually sorta helps his case, as if he gives up the tying run right off the bat, well f*** it, then pull him and "preserve" him.

Players notice this stuff, I'd be curious if anybody asks Pedro or Wilson about it postgame. 

The point of this season was never to win games. All these arguments because they lost are pointless. The whole point of this season is trading anybody who performs well who isnt injured and still performing well at the trade deadline. Wilson is one of those guys. Moncada was one of those guys. Robert was one of those guys. The Sox are rapidly running out of guys to trade. You saw what the Sox got at the trade deadline last year. It got them a few more guys they hope they can develop which in itself is a risky proposition for this organization but basically the only thing Getz could do given the budget restrictions. You saw them trade Cease before the season because they didnt want to risk getting nothing if he got injured. There's not a lot to understand here unless you actually think a win today was so important.

ANd yes the majority of relief pitchers do not pitch that often. Most are 1 inning guys and how long do you think they can be effective or stay healthy pitching every other day or more pitching that much. They aren't conditioned to do that. Its great they got 1 7 pitch inning from the guy . That's about all you can expect from him with his 4th appearance in 6 days and 2 days in a row. There are other pitchers on the roster that have to be used no matter how bad we think they are otherwise you're always pitching shorthanded. The Sox have played in a lot of close games . You cant keep pitching the same guys over and over. It's a long season. There were only 5 relief pitchers in all of baseball who threw over 80 innings in 2023 and the top 2 were at 84.1 . This was Wilson 6th appearance of the year and he has pitched exactly 6 innings so yes he's your typical 1 inning late inning RP.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I'm just pointing out the obvious for the baseball stupid who only see what they want to see.  Wins are not important this year. Preserving the health of tradable assets is. RPs are tradable assets.

What I'm actually saying is Grifol is a better manager than most of Soxtalk who undoubtedly have no idea how often things go right that they forget about things like oh yeah that guys pitched a lot lately. f*** it put him out there another inning and lets get this win because it might mean we the Sox will win 51 instead of 50 games. Wooo !

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm just pointing out the obvious for the baseball stupid who only see what they want to see.  Wins are not important this year. Preserving the health of tradable assets is. RPs are tradable assets.

What I'm actually saying is Grifol is a better manager than most of Soxtalk who undoubtedly have no idea how often things go right that they forget about things like oh yeah that guys pitched a lot lately. f*** it put him out there another inning and lets get this win because it might mean we the Sox will win 51 instead of 50 games. Wooo !

Like he preserved the health of Moncada? Grifol is a moron. Pitching a guy another inning when he threw seven pitches isn't endangering his health at all. If Wilson couldn't throw 15-20 pitches, he shouldn't have been in there to begin with, by your logic.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Like he preserved the health of Moncada? Grifol is a moron. Pitching a guy another inning when he threw seven pitches isn't endangering his health at all. If Wilson couldn't throw 15-20 pitches, he shouldn't have been in there to begin with, by your logic.

No look at Wilsons record in his 2 MLB seasons so far. 2022, 50 appearances 53 IP

2023 53 appearances 53 IP. By my logic hes a 1 inning pitcher every 3 days. See how simple it is. As far as what happened to Moncada there are higher ups like Getz  who are aware of the health of the ballplayers. Getz should have realized that Moncada's health is priority 1 and instructed Grifol not to play him or even better IL him until he was healthy.. Don't you think Grifol asked him if he was good to go and Moncada said yes ? Sometimes a good executive has to take decisions out of the managers and players hands.

But again that win mustve been really important to you. f*** that moron Grifol for not wanting his team to stress out all his relief pitchers and deciding to pitch 3 guys who sucked like Garcia and Leone and Shaw, 2 of them who actually got the job done when most here thought they'd fail way before we got to Shaw.

Not endangering his health at all ? You got a crystal ball that can tell you when a pitchers health is endangered ? These days that could be any time a pitcher pitches and even more so when you're pitching on consecutive days after pitching every other day.  If you cant understand that players get hurt any time and even moreso when you overuse them for the sake of 1 more win  in a season where 100 losses is certainly possible, I dont know what to tell you. You obviously don't understand whats going on this season. Only todays loss seems to be important to you because you can predict when a player will get injured.

And here I am using stats and and long held baseball team logic when all along you could predict the future. I apologize .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No look at Wilsons record in his 2 MLB seasons so far. 2022, 50 appearances 53 IP

2023 53 appearances 53 IP. By my logic hes a 1 inning pitcher every 3 days. See how simple it is. As far as what happened to Moncada there are higher ups like Getz  who are aware of the health of the ballplayers. Getz should have realized that Moncada's health is priority 1 and instructed Grifol not to play him or even better IL him until he was healthy.. Don't you think Grifol asked him if he was good to go and Moncada said yes ? Sometimes a good executive has to take decisions out of the managers and players hands.

But again that win mustve been really important to you. f*** that moron Grifol for not wanting his team to stress out all his relief pitchers and deciding to pitch 3 guys who sucked like Garcia and Leone and Shaw, 2 of them who actually got the job done when most here thought they'd fail way before we got to Shaw.

Not endangering his health at all ? You got a crystal ball that can tell you when a pitchers health is endangered ? These days that could be any time a pitcher pitches and even more so when you're pitching on consecutive days after pitching every other day.  If you cant understand that players get hurt any time and even moreso when you overuse them for the sake of 1 more win  in a season where 100 losses is certainly possible, I dont know what to tell you. You obviously don't understand whats going on this season. Only todays loss seems to be important to you because you can predict when a player will get injured.

No, haha.  Moncada has no problem sitting out of games.  Oh wait, this was his last year before free agency so he had to prove himself.  Honestly, it could go either way.  Who knows?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And here I am using stats and and long held baseball team logic when all along you could predict the future. I apologize .

I actually don't care if they win or lose at all (I would prefer they lose every game in embarrassing fashion, actually). I just don't understand the posters still carrying water for this loser franchise. Especially a moron like Grifol. It makes no sense to me. 

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No, haha.  Moncada has no problem sitting out of games.

Thats what you put on him without knowing anything about him. Players play hurt all the time. Many managers play players who are hurt because they say they want to play. The only thing that makes this situation laughable is that Moncadas injury  happened the day after Grifol was honest or stupid enough to say he was injured.

Getz could have prevented the injury if he wasn't a rookie GM and hasn't made keeping the tradable assets as healthy as he can a top priority. Grifol could have benched him because he didnt look so good the day before but he probably belonged on the IL and that's an executive decision.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's not conveniently forgotten that Sheets played, it's just not a stroke of managerial insight. He was obviously going to be the guy playing in this same role since well before the season began. This is what he did last year and nobody better came along to replace him. I've given credit where credit is due but this game's management was really bad from beginning to end. Putting Benintendi fifth is dumber than keeping TA first for so long last season. It's dumber because he was smart enough to realize Benintendi probably shouldn't be leading off but seemingly doesn't understand baseball well enough to realize maybe you shouldn't put the guy that can't hit in the slot where you expect the batter to drive in runs.

As for the little league play, Sheets is out by a mile if Gimenez makes the right decision and throws home. I don't think major league teams are so bad that you can strategize around opponents' mental mistakes or bobbling bunts. Anyway, the point I'm responding to in the first place is why they don't score when runners are in scoring position and it starts with the manager not putting the team in a position for it to happen with his blunders. You can only do so much with this group of players, you're right, and he's not doing 'so much' or even 'much' with them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nrockway said:

It's not conveniently forgotten that Sheets played, it's just not a stroke of managerial insight. He was obviously going to be the guy playing in this same role since well before the season began. This is what he did last year and nobody better came along to replace him. I've given credit where credit is due but this game's management was really bad from beginning to end. Putting Benintendi fifth is dumber than keeping TA first for so long last season. It's dumber because he was smart enough to realize Benintendi probably shouldn't be leading off but seemingly doesn't understand baseball well enough to realize maybe you shouldn't put the guy that can't hit in the slot where you expect the batter to drive in runs.

As for the little league play, Sheets is out by a mile if Gimenez makes the right decision and throws home. I don't think major league teams are so bad that you can strategize around opponents' mental mistakes or bobbling bunts. Anyway, the point I'm responding to in the first place is why they don't score when runners are in scoring position and it starts with the manager not putting the team in a position for it to happen with his blunders. You can only do so much with this group of players, you're right, and he's not doing 'so much' or even 'much' with them. 

It's a matter of perspective. Benintendi is supposed to be one of the best players on the team. Last year he did well hitting leadoff and a lot of people here didn't think he'd move Benintendi down in the lineup.

Who wouldn't you complain about batting 5th . They don't really have 3 middle of the order bats. Do you put Lee, a rookie, in a high pressure situation like that .Sheets against a RHP. Most people here wanted him in the minors or DFAd but of course you say it's not a stroke of managerial insight that he made the team or got ABs even before Robert ,Moncada and Eloy got injured and earned his playing time.

Give me your lineup right now against RH and LH starting pitching and let's count all the guys hitting poorly you put in positions of importance. Let's hear you keep track of how relief pitchers are used to and who to put into games and when to take out a SP when the team needs him to absorb some innings because your BP has been used up.

Hard decisions can't be made just based on what's going on in the game. Fans complain about everything. DeJong didn't score from 3rd with a hard hit ball right at the SS with the infield when apparently there was not a run on contact play on there. Why didn't Wilson pitch another inning ?Why did they not do a suicide squeeze with Benintendi ?  Why couldn't you pitch Wilson another inning  ?Why did they pitch those bums Garcia and Leone ? Why is Shaw there ? Why did they PH for Lee? Why did he play Moncada when he was injured ? He left Fedde in too long.

As a fan you ask why and don't have to justify everything you would have done before the game , who to play and were to bat them in the lineup , when to PH,when to take out the starting pitching based on how much the BP has been used, when to use a PR, when to do a hit and run. When to steal, when to give a take sign , when to give a 3-0 green light ,where to position fielders ,when to make defensive replacements.

Even their supposedly top players weren't playing well .Eloy before he got hurt wasn't hitting but he's probably not 100 % either since he did have something wrong at the end of spring training. Robert had one 2 homer game , he looked bad most of the other games but played decent defense. Now you have to rely on Colas, Sosa, Lee , Sheets , Benintendi, Shewmake.Grossman, Pillar, Fletcher, Vaughn . DeJong and Lopez even more .None of these guys except Sheets and Lee who only started getting more playing time once Stassi went down, haven't exactly been setting the world on fire.

Brebbia is out. Kopech and Leasure both pitched 2 innings yesterday so they were unavailable also because of Soroka not being able to pitch 4 innings the day before.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

9 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I'm not a Grifol fan.

I don't watch every game, but it's funny how, coming out of the negative echo chamber, here, and reentering reality, I actually thought yesterday was a pretty well managed game. Some moves worked great, some didn't. That's baseball. I honestly don't understand the people who have to crap all over those who just want to enjoy the game, then talk about it. 

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No, haha.  Moncada has no problem sitting out of games.  Oh wait, this was his last year before free agency so he had to prove himself.  Honestly, it could go either way.  Who knows?

What? I think Moncada has played through injuries waaaaaay more than anyone else on the team the past few years.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I actually don't care if they win or lose at all (I would prefer they lose every game in embarrassing fashion, actually). I just don't understand the posters still carrying water for this loser franchise. Especially a moron like Grifol. It makes no sense to me. 

Of course you care. Don't BS me. You wanted a guy, who has been pitching well ,who has been used a lot lately ,  to pitch another inning so they had a better chance to win the game. You couldn't tell me how much Wilson had been used lately or that Brebbia was injured or that Kopech and Leasure were unavailable because they each pitched 2 innings yesterday. I didn't see you  asking why didn't Garcia or Leone didn't pitch another inning. Why? Because they suck and you wanted to win the game and your rationale was that your crystal ball told you he wouldn't have got hurt.😂 Did your crystal ball tell you Brebbia was going to get hurt so he also wasn't available for yesterdays game ?

Those are some top notch managerial skills. Now you have to resort to saying I'm carrying water for the franchise when all I usually do is point out JR is the one responsible for everything bad that the Sox do. What I'm actually doing is questioning your lack of understanding of the game and you bullshitting me that you didn't want them to win that game yesterday .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Of course you care. Don't BS me. You wanted a guy, who has been pitching well ,who has been used a lot lately ,  to pitch another inning so they had a better chance to win the game. You couldn't tell me how much Wilson had been used lately or that Brebbia was injured or that Kopech and Leasure were unavailable because they each pitched 2 innings yesterday. I didn't see you  asking why didn't Garcia or Leone didn't pitch another inning. Why? Because they suck and you wanted to win the game and your rationale was that your crystal ball told you he wouldn't have got hurt.😂 Did your crystal ball tell you Brebbia was going to get hurt so he also wasn't available for yesterdays game ?

Those are some top notch managerial skills. Now you have to resort to saying I'm carrying water for the franchise when all I usually do is point out JR is the one responsible for everything bad that the Sox do. What I'm actually doing is questioning your lack of understanding of the game and you bullshitting me that you didn't want them to win that game yesterday .

Grifol should never get the benefit of the doubt, as any franchise with a brain would have fired him after last season.   With that said, Benintendi is killing this team.  At worst, he’s supposed to be an elite contact guy.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Grifol should never get the benefit of the doubt, as any franchise with a brain would have fired him after last season.   With that said, Benintendi is killing this team.  At worst, he’s supposed to be an elite contact guy.

Grifol not being fired was on Getz and but mostly JR. He's selling guys for cash and keeping tabs on the pennies he's saving when as usual he cant comprehend the big picture. Penny wise pound foolish at least when it comes to creating a competent baseball team but pretty good at bullshitting his way into being solvent.

Benintendi is just one of many guys killing the team even more so than the others because he is another slappy , over rated fielder getting paid big bucks.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Grifol not being fired was on Getz and but mostly JR. He's selling guys for cash and keeping tabs on the pennies he's saving when as usual he cant comprehend the big picture. Penny wise pound foolish at least when it comes to creating a competent baseball team but pretty good at bullshitting his way into being solvent.

Benintendi is just one of many guys killing the team even more so than the others because he is another slappy , over rated fielder getting paid big bucks.

If we're going to acknowledge that Grifol has some baseball knowledge, and isn't a drooling moron, we could probably also recognize that Getz is operating under certain constraints we won't be privy to. They were both dealt a s%*# hand, Grifol more than Getz, and they're dealing with it. I don't remember a single manager in my lifetime that was generally accepted as competent by the vocal fanbase. 

And you know, penny wise, pound foolish still works when you collect 100 billion pennies. 

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

If we're going to acknowledge that Grifol has some baseball knowledge, and isn't a drooling moron, we could probably also recognize that Getz is operating under certain constraints we won't be privy to. They were both dealt a s%*# hand, Grifol more than Getz, and they're dealing with it. I don't remember a single manager in my lifetime that was generally accepted as competent by the vocal fanbase. 

And you know, penny wise, pound foolish still works when you collect 100 billion pennies. 

Yes it works for him and his heirs and other investors, not so much the team on the field or fans.

I'm not too hard on Getz but I do point out mistakes. I think he should have been on top of the Moncada injury and made an executive decision to IL him.

Also after Soroka's short stint  and Brebbia's injury with Leasure and Kopech having pitched 2 inning April 9th and Shuster having pitched 3 innings April 8th so he also wasn't available ,you had 3 guys who couldn't pitch and a 4th guy in Wilson who gutted out a short inning of work, I'm thinking another pitcher could have been called up as soon as you took Soroka out 2 days ago. Grifol was managing with a short BP.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes it works for him and his heirs and other investors, not so much the team on the field or fans.

I'm not too hard on Getz but I do point out mistakes. I think he should have been on top of the Moncada injury and made an executive decision to IL him.

Also after Soroka's short stint  and Brebbia's injury with Leasure and Kopech having pitched 2 inning April 9th and Shuster having pitched 3 innings April 8th so he also wasn't available ,you had 3 guys who couldn't pitch and a 4th guy in Wilson who gutted out a short inning of work, I'm thinking another pitcher could have been called up as soon as you took Soroka out 2 days ago. Grifol was managing with a short BP. But I have no idea how that would work. Send Shuster down just to have a fresh arm maybe?

18 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Grifol has done nothing to suggest he’s not a baseball moron. His managerial record speaks for itself.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Also after Soroka's short stint  and Brebbia's injury with Leasure and Kopech having pitched 2 inning April 9th and Shuster having pitched 3 innings April 8th so he also wasn't available ,you had 3 guys who couldn't pitch and a 4th guy in Wilson who gutted out a short inning of work, I'm thinking another pitcher could have been called up as soon as you took Soroka out 2 days ago. Grifol was managing with a short BP.

I'm not remembering the exact roster construction that day, but the team is limited to 13 pitchers on their roster at any time until Sept 1, then they can have 14. 

edit - Oh, I see the Shuster part. I think a team is also limited to how many times they can send a player down to the minors, also. I've read that Shuster will get the next 5th starter slot, but I'm not sure. 

Edited by WestEddy